Emli's Thread of Terrible Phone Pictures (Latest: Yephima)

Table of Contents

-----------------------------

So I started this one, with a base of 2:1 Golden Yellow/Earth Brown for the body, and 1:1 Leather Brown/Pure White for the mane and tail. The hooves and horn are Earth Brown/Leather Brown, 2:1 I think.

Then I put it down because I wasn't sure where to go with it.

Then I picked it up again and slobbered Brown Wash all over it. It was splotchy on the body, so I tried to correct with the base color, thinned, which made it look kind of green. I slobbered some more Brown Wash, and shaded a bit with more Brown Wash.

My terrible phone pictures:

77029_unicorn_inside.jpg

The result looks better outside:

77029_unicorn_outside.jpg

The current plan is to highlight up to almost white on the mane, tail, and legs. That's the easy part. I'm not entirely sure how I want to deal with the rest of the body. I was kind of going for a palomino clydesdale look, but the shadows/highlights on the body baffle me. Next session, I think I'll experiment with body base + some Pure White and see if that doesn't look awful.

LTPKs coming soon, so I might put the next bits off to do those. To be continued...

Edited by Emli
  • Like 6

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Always the answer is look first at a real version, if that fails get a photo of a real version like this;

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_7Z9KKk2eY-c/TJRCjv3H0wI/AAAAAAAAABM/HmseOrBhiWM/s1600/palomino-horse%5B1%5D.jpg

After that look at paintings of the subject to see how other artists have handled it or look at examples of painted minis. Google wrahammer horses as a start.

So I started this one, with a base of 2:1 Golden Yellow/Earth Brown for the body, and 1:1 Leather Brown/Pure White for the mane and tail. The hooves and horn are Earth Brown/Leather Brown, 2:1 I think.

Then I put it down because I wasn't sure where to go with it.

Then I picked it up again and slobbered Brown Wash all over it. It was splotchy on the body, so I tried to correct with the base color, thinned, which made it look kind of green. I slobbered some more Brown Wash, and shaded a bit with more Brown Wash.

My terrible phone pictures:

IMG_20130501_180230.jpg

The result looks better outside:

IMG_20130501_180027.jpg

The current plan is to highlight up to almost white on the mane, tail, and legs. That's the easy part. I'm not entirely sure how I want to deal with the rest of the body. I was kind of going for a palomino clydesdale look, but the shadows/highlights on the body baffle me. Next session, I think I'll experiment with body base + some Pure White and see if that doesn't look awful.

LTPKs coming soon, so I might put the next bits off to do those. To be continued...

The piece is really looking well in the exposure to sun and golden color is refelcting with very positiveattraction as comared to the ppicture taken inside. Yuo are thinking right you highlight it with some different color.

• Like 1

This is after I messed around with various levels and mixtures of Golden Yellow/Earth Brown/Leather Brown/Pure White until I found something I liked.

- The mane/tail/lower legs got drybrushing with Leather Brown/Pure White 1:1 with a tiny bit of Golden Yellow, then some Linen White.

- I ... tried so many things with the drybrushing of the body that I didn't really keep track of all the layers, but the final layer was something like Golden Yellow/Leather Brown/Pure White 2:1:1.5.

- The hooves and horn got some thinned Black, then the horn got a light drybrush of Linen White.

- The base is still in progress, but I think I'm happy with the unicorn itself for now.

- Slashhamster will give me grief for my phone pictures, but this way I'm not bothering him to get his camera out all the time. Sadly, this means that the color will be a little off until I get him to take pictures for showoff.

77029_unicorn3.jpg77029_unicorn4.jpg

Edited by Emli
  • Like 9

My daughter asked for a pink dragon one day, after seeing the ones her father and I made. Then she changed her mind. She asks for a different color every day, but the color scheme for a pink one stayed with me. I have a vision of Flit done like so:

SparkleberrySwirl_130_L_spoosh.jpg

Perhaps without the butt tattoo. Any thoughts on what colors might be used to achieve that bubblegum pink color? Or ideas for highlight/shadow?

Stay tuned, I'll be working on that one once I finish L2PK2.

• Like 2

Since she originally requested the pink dragon, I decided to let my daughter do the basecoat. More 3-year-old paint jobs! No shots of her actually painting though, just the finished product.

This color is 1:1:3ish Crimson Red, Gem Purple, Pure White. I will probably need to do another coat, since the paint got a little overly thinned because she kept putting the brush back in the water.

77026_dragon2_base1.jpg

77026_dragon2_base2.jpg

My plan is to do it up similar to my blue: highlight the body scales up to near white, with the belly scales, under-wing, and spine fins some shade of purple.

Not sure what color for a base yet. Where would a pink dragon live, anyway?

Edited by Emli
  • Like 5

It is great to see other people getting their kids involved.

My daughter also went for the water at one point. It was when she was almost done. She was quick enough that she made it to the mini before I could catch it and she made a big blank white spot. She was perfectly content with getting to paint longer though, lol.

Progress on the mighty pink dragon.

First, I tried a wash of thinned Gem Purple. It wasn't dark enough. So I did another wash of 1:1 Gem Purple:Pure Black. That was better.

Then I started with something close to the original base and madly drybrushed. 

Layer 1 - 1:1:1 Gem Purple:Crimson Red:Pure White

Layer 2 - Layer 1 + 1 Pure White

Layer 3 - Layer 2 + 1 Pearl White

Layer 4 - 1 Pearl White + Just enough of the Layer 3 color to tint it pink

Finally, I mixed up a purpler (is that even a word?) wash of 2:1 Gem Purple:Pure Black and re-washed the interior of the wings, the belly scales, and the webbing between the spines on his face and along his ... spine. I did a bit of highlight using the Layer 3 color on the spines and the ribs of the wings after the wash.

Tah-duh!

77026_dragon2_highlight1.jpg

77026_dragon2_highlight2.jpg

Plan for next time:

- Re-drybrush the backs of the wings. I messed them up trying to fix the shadows.

- Mix up something about half way between the highlighted pink and the purple-y wash for the belly scales, and then use that as the base of the wing interior and the spine webbing. Highlight up from there.

- Not sure yet what to do with the horny bits. I'm thinking I'll go with bone to try to make him a 'realistic' pink dragon as opposed to a cartoon one. Because he's angry. Because he's pink.

Edited by Emli
  • Like 6

This turns out to be two sessions worth of work, mostly because I spent a large chunk of time prepping and basing the things that come after in between dragon bits.

Dragon first:

77026_dragon2_highlight3.jpg

77026_dragon2_highlight4.jpg

- I glazed his body with 1:1:2 Gem Purple:Crimson Red:Pure White because I decided I'd washed out some of the pink with the highlights. Then I did a light highlight with a tiny bit of that and some Pearl White. I also drybrushed the back of the wings with both of those to even them out a bit.

- I decided that the belly scales, fins, and wings would just go purple, thus I started the highlight run with straight Gem Purple. I failed to take a good picture of his belly, so you'll just have to believe me there.

- Three layers of 1:x Gem Purple:Pure White + water (x = layer number), wings and spine both. Final layer of Pure White for all. The fins look better than the wings. I think I'm going to glaze them next time with some level of purple to blend it better. My blending was apparently better when I had no idea what I was doing. :/

- Next time: Glazing, horns and face detail, base. Probably won't post him again until Show Off.

Tune in next time for:

todo1.jpg

That's L2PK4 in the back there.

- Basic tile/sand base on Muscles McSteroid.

- I used some green stuff on the nymph's base to smooth the sides onto the tile. I plan to try something water-y for that. I know, terribly original, right?

- Since I had the green stuff out, I filled the bases for the Bombshell minis that I had already cleaned and glued. Cave Girl is the one I will work on first, as I have a very specific plan for her. The other three... not so much yet.

I am undecided which I will work on first. Probably all three at the same time, because I'm crazy like that. 

Watch this space.

Edited by Emli
  • Like 6