Sign in to follow this  
Beagle

Why no elf kickstarters?

Froudian designed miniatures would definitely be a huge deal for me. My girlfriend is a massive Froud fan, I love his aesthetic, and having miniatures that I could go all sepia on would be a ton of fun!

Now I want a Barnacle Goose Tree.

I don't even now what it is, but I want one.

Once upon a time...

img4465.jpg

Barnacle geese come from trees that grow over water. These trees produce birds that look like small geese; the young birds hang from their beaks from the trees. When the birds are mature enough, they fall from the trees; any that fall into the water float and are safe, but those that fall on land die.

supposedly they the medieval mind needed an explanation for these birds which kept appearing with never any sign of breeding, nests or chicks so the above was the obvious answer

and back on topic I suspect another good reason Elves (traditional rather than Tolkein or D&D) have not had a KS is it's MUCH harder to say what they look like. With Glamour an elf could be anyone or anything so actually any mini will do

...and this isn't already a Pokemon, why, exactly?

There are a lot of character scenarios that aren't adequately covered. I know from awesome threads on this board that I'm not the only person who loves Kobolds or Lizardmen, but out in the wide world of consumerism there are fewer people who want to play a humanoid, or a "bad" anything. That's why the gods of conversion gave us green stuff and pointy objects to sculpt with. I know that not everyone likes to convert. I absolutely understand it, it's time consuming, and highly addictive (like heroin wrapped in crack dipped in cocaine smothered in a bacon cheesecake).

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/goblin/sku-down/02481

First on the left is the Original Buglips.

Buglips is it ok to use you in my campaign?

http://www.reapermini.com/graphics/gallery/4/P02481C_w_1.jpg

Quite simply...dwarves are awesome and elves are wusses. There's really no other rationale. :bday:

How dare you utter such slander?!! You shall pay for this slight!!!

*slaps Adrift in the face with an impossibly slender, exquisitely manufactured, and carefully scented silk glove*

• Like 1

Imbrian goblins are close to Froud goblins.. I'll be curious to see what Raging Heroes dark elf KS looks like, if they ever get their other one out of the way.

Yeah, Jody's goblins are very reminiscent of Froud's work.

Thinking about Brian Froud, I now want someone to do a project where they translate all of the 2nd ed Planescape art that he did into miniatures. It would be INCREDIBLE!

Victoria Lamb has some sculpts that are certainly closer to the Fae than anything else I have seen: http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/products/labyrintus?pagesize=12

Freebooter elves and faeries are also less "D&Dish":

http://freebooterminiatures.de/en/catalog/miniatures/elves

http://freebooterminiatures.de/en/catalog/miniatures/faeries

Edited by Heisler

I think that elves are much harder do the Dwarfs. Dwarfs are flawed, hard drinking, honorable brutes and to tell the truth we have all known some one like this. When it comes to Elves how can any of understand a immortal, near perfect being?

The next issue it is hard to present Elves since they are so meny different versions of the elves. Lets just put it on a list so we understand were we stand -

Wood Elves (Roughly the same reguardless of company, with minor changes.)

High Elves (LotR)

High Elves (GW)

Dark Elves (GW)

Drow (D&D)

Night Elves (WoW)

Blood Elves (WoW)

Sea Elves (?)

Who know how meny others

Dwarfs are roughly the same short and stocky, Norse/Cletic inspired, some knowlage of enginering, and fine craftsman ship and metalworking is their trademark.

So what you base a line of elves off of? See it is not as easy as you thought it might be.

Edit -

For the record, I view Fairies and Fae as something different then elves.

Edited by Paymaster Games
  • Like 1

IME there feels like there are plenty of elves in all sorts of sculpts and a thin human can cover for elves as mentioned above. Dwarves tend to be more limited to Axey Mc Hammerbeard and the occasional mini fighting against that type, but you don't see a broad spectrum of dwarves in too many lines.

IME there feels like there are plenty of elves in all sorts of sculpts and a thin human can cover for elves as mentioned above. Dwarves tend to be more limited to Axey Mc Hammerbeard and the occasional mini fighting against that type, but you don't see a broad spectrum of dwarves in too many lines.

That's true. But then I think Dwarf ranges always seem to be done well, whereas elf ranges rarely are.