Laoke's Bones - an ongoing journal of 'how not to do it' painting

So, I figured with the Vampires coming, I should get some practise in on the already existing Bones. And so, armed with nothing more than a late 80's knowledge of painting, some L2PKs, and a whole bunch of 'screw it, close enough' I started on my paint slinging odyssey!

First up - the Horde to date

post-9284-0-37507100-1367842275_thumb.jpg
And the most recent additions to the Horde - the Redcap Goblins
post-9284-0-52325700-1368441488_thumb.jpg

post-9284-0-69164500-1368441489_thumb.jpg

Edited by Laoke
  • Like 16
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking at your red hat mace goblin via my xbox's rather horrible browser. and it looked like his chestpiece was wood coloured like the shield. On the laptop, it looks more steel.

But I'm actually painting one of those now and I used Reaper pro paint copper to bronze up his chest piece and didn't like the look. I was stuck. But when I thought you'd painted yours wood colour, I immediately thought: "That's it! That's brilliant! Wood armor, that's exactly what a goblin would do!"

So, perhaps somewhat indirectly, you helped solve my problem. Now if only we can find somebody on here to serve as a shrink...

• Like 4

I think I might steal that red cap idea, as I already have a lot of goblins and that will give me some good distinction. Besides they do have those handy caps to paint :).

The horde looks good, but I do note you have a lot of red in it.

• Like 1

I love them! Nothing wrong with 80's painting, fundamentals are basically the same as ever. Are you planning on doing all the goblins from the DA pack the same way, or mixing up the cap colours?

I'd also like to see a closer shot of the ogre, he looks interesting in grey.

• Like 1

So I tried the wooden armor idea on my goblin, and I like it. That'll be the standard for all the mace goblins. It looks primitive, like the goblin stole a kobold's shield and said "Me needs armor, like hoomans has. But where be metal? Metal like shield, me use shield protect guts!" And just strapped it on.

There'll be a pic in my Bones thread when his funtime buddies are done, soonish, so I can just display all six in one shot.

• Like 4

I was looking at your red hat mace goblin via my xbox's rather horrible browser. and it looked like his chestpiece was wood coloured like the shield. On the laptop, it looks more steel.

But I'm actually painting one of those now and I used Reaper pro paint copper to bronze up his chest piece and didn't like the look. I was stuck. But when I thought you'd painted yours wood colour, I immediately thought: "That's it! That's brilliant! Wood armor, that's exactly what a goblin would do!"

So, perhaps somewhat indirectly, you helped solve my problem. Now if only we can find somebody on here to serve as a shrink...

So I tried the wooden armor idea on my goblin, and I like it. That'll be the standard for all the mace goblins. It looks primitive, like the goblin stole a kobold's shield and said "Me needs armor, like hoomans has. But where be metal? Metal like shield, me use shield protect guts!" And just strapped it on.

There'll be a pic in my Bones thread when his funtime buddies are done, soonish, so I can just display all six in one shot.

I look forward to seeing it! The Redcaps have metal plates, but I think I'll steal the idea you stole from my incompetent camera work for the Kickstarter gobbos. I'm also thinking of painting one of the spearchukkas as if he's holding a paintbrush, calling it Buglips, and voila! Instant goblin chieftain!

Here's a somewhat better shot of them

post-9284-0-70578100-1368441545_thumb.jpg

post-9284-0-64886200-1368441544_thumb.jpg

I think I might steal that red cap idea, as I already have a lot of goblins and that will give me some good distinction. Besides they do have those handy caps to paint :).

The horde looks good, but I do note you have a lot of red in it.

Thanks! I used Tamiya Clear Red (you know, the color which comes with a safety warning that'll make your nose fall off just reading it), to give the effect of caps dipped in blood before battle. Doesn't photograph well, unfortunately.

As to using a lot of red - I think it's the lighting rig and camera I'm using shifting stuff towards the red end of the spectrum, combined with the kobolds. I painted 'em with red skin, and as I only have 2 shades of red they're basically the same color as the goblin caps. Makes for a very sanguine looking impact. Add to that my differentiating the mooks with either blue or red accents and it's a little overpowering en masse. I'll have to start mixing some green accents in.

Here's the kobolds, diabolical little sods that they are to paint:

post-9284-0-46476200-1368441569_thumb.jpg

post-9284-0-82359100-1368441568_thumb.jpg

I love them! Nothing wrong with 80's painting, fundamentals are basically the same as ever. Are you planning on doing all the goblins from the DA pack the same way, or mixing up the cap colours?

I'd also like to see a closer shot of the ogre, he looks interesting in grey.

I'm unsure. On the one hand, having an easily identifiable difference between the figures makes it easy to tell which goblin is which, but on the other I'll have plenty of variation with the 'We Be Goblins' goblins landing with the Kickstarter. I may keep these guys as generic mooks, with the possible exception of the Buglips figure. Him I'll probably give a gold cap to.

That's the oni ogre my delightfully evil partner painted as her first figure ever. There's a shot of it in this thread, but I'll put a couple of new shots in as well.

post-9284-0-45846000-1368441599_thumb.jpg

post-9284-0-41567600-1368441598_thumb.jpg

80's painting is fine, just stay away from the testors enamels (unless you know what you're doing really well, or use an airbrush)

I used to use Humbrol enamels. I'm old skool. I'm working way more on layering and blending than I ever used to do - used to be base, wash, highlight, done. Now I'm actually mixing in different skin tones and stuff and it's all very exciting! Terrible, terrible paint jobs, but exciting!

Edited by Laoke
  • Like 10

Here we have my skellies. I experimented with these guys - the brown ones I did with a brown wash and linen white drybrush, the bluish guys I did with blue lining, and white highlighting. The browner guys look more like bones that have been in the earth for a bit, where the blue guys look like something clean and pristine that an OCD wizard would summon.

Totally recommend playing with Bones btw. It's suprising the difference you can get : )

post-9284-0-58093900-1368441678_thumb.jpg

post-9284-0-48541400-1368441677_thumb.jpg

Edited by Laoke
  • Like 8