Fractured Dimensions infernal minions of the outer planes Kickstarter

recruittons

The Kickstarter model does not make you an investor. Owners (share holders) are entitled to proceeds from liquidation, but no part of the project offered partial ownership in the business. It is far more like a donation, with the promise of a gift in exchange.

I feel bad for people who got burned (including me: I spent a bunch to get some of these sculpts, and have received nothing), but people should really understand what Kickstarter is offering when they pledge funds.

Except it's not. Given the Kickstarter terms of use and the business type Kickstarter is filed under you are purchasing a product. My previous statement was a rather flippant response to the claim that it isn't fraud but a failure. According to US law you can't actually make a donation in return for a gift unless the person you are donating to is a non-profit. Very very few of these organizations are non-profits and thus you either must be a customer or an investor, both of which are completely and totally legally able to sue the pants off someone for failing to deliver product.

Earlier versions of the KSer terms of service did state it was a donation with the expectation of a gift in return. Not sure about when this one was run but it was that way about 2 years ago.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Earlier versions of the KSer terms of service did state it was a donation with the expectation of a gift in return. Not sure about when this one was run but it was that way about 2 years ago.

They may have said that but such wording has no real legal weight unless they were a non-profit. You can't just "donate" thousands of dollars to a company without tripping major anti-money laundering laws. You have to be paying for a service, buying a product, or investing in a company or else they start eyeing you for drug money.

They may have said that but such wording has no real legal weight unless they were a non-profit. You can't just "donate" thousands of dollars to a company without tripping major anti-money laundering laws. You have to be paying for a service, buying a product, or investing in a company or else they start eyeing you for drug money.

I'm not arguing against your point there--I suspect that's the reason it changed--but there are KSers still unfulfilled under those terms and those terms have never been challenged in court so they still stand.

The problems are:

a) we don't get the stuff we pledged for

b) the project owner can walk away almost consequence free.

b) has to be fixed so that a) can happen more frequently.

Im so angry thinking about the CSM/Drake/Fractured Dimensions omnishambles, not because the projects have failed, but because of the gutless approach from the project owners to addressing failure.

• Like 2

I've so far been burned by this one only so far and maybe the D&D documentary, that got suspended due to legal issues. But I've had trouble with a number of them communicating and delivering with in a reasonable time (I understand delays) but it make me so angry when there is silence

• Like 1

I received my minis from the Kickstarter a while back, though I've yet to paint them (I'm working on some Cryx for Warmachine right now).  I certainly hope that the rest of you get yours as well.  Paul Muller's sculpts are superb, and I plan to purchase more of his minis once they become available for sale.

Beagle and KayBee,  Sorry for not seeing your mails earlier.  Didn’t notice until Beagle’s last comments.    I’m a bit wary to comment on this project because of all the bad karma associated with the last KickStarter I got personally involved with.

For those who care about such things, there are two reasons for the slow fulfillment: i) waiting on resin pieces for Orcus and the Great Beast.  Both of these minis are quite big, and Brett (at the molder’s suggestion) decided that cost was too much.  The molding took months to complete and the final shipment just went out to Brett; ii) the time required to pack and ship each order is much more than Brett was expecting.  He’s got a new job, with less free time than before.  It is my understanding that 35% is packed up, of which some have already shipped.  Most of the other orders were waiting on the two big pieces mentioned above.

I believe that money is NOT an issue with this project.  Though I’d be very surprised if Brett has made money on this KickStarter, he’s willing and able to cover any shortfalls.  It’s not a matter of "if", but rather "when" with this project will be completed.

As for communication from Brett, I’m not sure and I won’t comment.  He did mention that he should have pics of the Great Beast in short order, which probably will be included in a general update.

• Like 5

MortalArrow, thanks for that update. I know that you have some history here, so I'm not terribly worried that you are simply an anonymous mouthpiece, but can you please comment on where this comes from? Are you a personal friend, or a very involved backer?

I do hope to see some update from Brett soon. As someone who isn't waiting on any of the resin, I'm disappointed if my order has simply been packed and waiting for several months. My larger concern is the utter lack of communication on any level (updates, comments, PM through KS or personal email). Not to beat a dead horse, but a single update of three or four sentences would quell a lot of concerns.

Regardless, so long as I have these by May or so, I'll still be able to use them in the campaign I originally wanted them for. Here's hoping!

• Like 3

Thanks mortal arrow. Nice to hear some news. im just hoping brett is waiting for his own cashflow to improve so he can fulfil this. I'm still happy about the project though. Got my bones II coming through now so can't have too many minis arriving at once. The missus will get suspicious. Lol.

If it is true? Why can't we hear it from Bret? He's a big boy? It's his business that's failing because he won't take the reins...

facts

1. 3 months no communication

2. Does not respond to any inquiries...email, KS, or forums

3.logged in twice to KS in the last week but didn't have the time to say, the above himself.

all hearsay until I hear from the horses mouth

• Like 2