Halp! Paint in need of resuscitation!

Unruly

Shine the Buglips signal! There are old paints in trouble!

So I bought some old paints, including some Reaper Pro Paint. When I opened them up to check on them and see how they look, I was presented with a terrible sight in one of them. It's mostly solid, but still looks slimy. I'm hoping it isn't too far gone to be saved, but if it is I'm not all that worried since its a color with an MSP equivalent(spectral white). Thankfully it wasn't one of the Partha paints I bought, which seem to have arrived in almost perfect condition.

The bottle of spectral white that I've got issues with is the new formula Pro Paint, if that matters.

post-9174-0-00375300-1367965145_thumb.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that it is not worth saving. You can begin stirring in flow improver or just straight water, slowly till it gets back to regular paint consistency.

If you find little granules of hard paint in it, toss it.

Edited by Heisler

I've never had the opportunity to try and save new pro paint.

First, take a toothpick and push it into the center of that mass. Is there resistance? If the paint is savable you should get a little bit of pushback from the outer skin, but then it should penetrate easily. If it does that, perforate several more times with the toothpick. If it feels really solid or very rubbery, it's gone.

Then add a little bit of water, stir, check consistency. As mentioned, if you find anything weird it might be toast.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin

Well, that's a shame that there's a fairly high chance it's unsalvageable. But, like I said earlier, at least it wasn't one of the older and completely irreplaceable paints. With this one, if it turns out that it truly has kicked the bucket then I can just buy Ghost White and only be out a couple extra dollars.

After a ten year hiatus I had some paint that looked similar (or worse). This was mostly GW in the CoatDArms/Privateer Press style bottles. I used Liquitex matte medium and water and was able to recover about 70% of them. If the paint is solid, like ome "new" Vallejo Game Colors I bought, then you are probably out of luck. If they end up with some granular chunks in them you could still use them for large bases or color on dioramas. Also after 25 years my tube of seldom used Liquitex acrylics became stringy and unrecoverable,

Well, I got home from work and decided to give water and mixing a shot. And, well, I'll let the results speak for themselves.

When I stuck the toothpick in to test it there was practically no resistance, and then when I wiggled it a bit the whole glob just started separating with ease. A few test drops of filtered water and it turned into a thick slurry. I didn't notice any hard chunks, so I added a bit more water and mixed it up smooth. I think I might have added a bit too much water in the end, but oh well.

Thanks for the help guys and gals. I'm a new painter and I've never had to deal with dried paints before so I just learned something new.

post-9174-0-33252600-1368016322_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Overthinning, if it's not too much, will sort itself out over time. Sometimes resurrection is a black magic art, and advice I can give from a distance can vary from things I'd try in person. I've got a whole range of arcane magicks it would be difficult to try and remotely instruct in a sensible way.

But it looks like it worked out, and at least from this distance the consistency looks good and not too thin. I don't see any bubbles in it.

• Like 4