I love this idea! It may just be the picture, but you hand claws look close together- it may be hard to sculpt them and keep them separate. Can you push the pinky claw out a bit to give your self some more room? Or are you planning on having the claws touch? When I think of dragons I think separate claws grabbing looks more dynamic, but it's probably easier just to have them made from one piece. Great work so far! Keep it up!

I need advise from sculptors.

I think I have a good base for the hands/claws, but I want to add details and I'm at a loss as to how to add such teeny tiny details. They need to looks like brutal claws which could rip anything apart. Metal, stone, anything. They're six inches long and look like very lethal sharp claws.

Here's my pictures for now.

kezeranwip10.JPGkezeranwip11.JPGkezeranwip12.jpg

Any assistance an experienced sculptor can give me would be greatly appreciated. Heck, I'll even pull it all off and start over if I have to. I want them to look good.

I don't count as experienced in terms of greenstuff, but can you file in between the claws to thin them? Dremel?

You want a nice clean line with sharp edges to make them appear eeevil. One option would be to roll a thin piece of greenstuff out and cut a claw shape, drape it over something slightly curved and build up mass after the shape you want dries. You could glue it onto your wire (put it under the wire) and then use the wire to give roundness to the claw with greenstuff. I think there's some sort of cardstock or something those smarter guys use to create shapes in greenstuff. Can't remember what it's called. But I expect a thinner, longer claw would give the impression you want. I'm planning to play with a sculpt today- I'll see what I can come up with!

ok- played around. had a few flat pieces of greenstuff leftover. glued one to a wire. added some depth. does this look like what you want?

claw2_zps6651d4d4.jpgclaw1_zpscdc31467.jpgclaw3_zpsf63a4592.jpg

Edited by Corporea

Ya, that does look good. Thank you. I already pulled off what I had on one of the hands and was going to try to fiddle with it tonight. This helps, thank you ::):

I got the arms attached and all the colours blocked in. The armour is going to be dull black metal, and the loin cloth red. He's gold of course, and I'm going to make his claws a darker gold.

jlf6.jpg5lxe.jpg
ecpl.jpg

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Thrym
      Hellborn Troll
      from WizKids' Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures

I stopped at AC Moore today and picked up one of the FolkArt Pickling Washes I didn't have while my wife was shopping for school play costume materials.  Nearby I found FolkArt Ultra Dyes and picked up two colors to check out; Purple Rain and Pucker Up (a yellow).

I have enjoyed using the Glass Enamels with the long cure time before and thought these might work similarly.   I decided to wash my troll with the Purple Rain to see how it comes out and goes on.

It's fairly thick out of the bottle but I might not have shaken it enough.  It was taking forever to dry so I hit it with some Testors Dullcote to speed the process and reduce the shine.  It's glossy like inks.

Next, I used Reaper Blood Red to give him the Hellborn look I wanted.

Then I pulled out Reaper Violet Shadow to get his hair, teeth and claws darkened.

I then went back over the boney bits with the FolkArt Ultra Dye.  It'll put the glossy touch to the claws and teeth.

I am quite happy with him so far.  

Stay tuned and Enjoy!
    • By odinsgrandson
      Now that I'm back from Reapercon, I think it is time to post pictures of my entries.  This is Monique Denoir, and she was awarded a bronze Sophie in the painters category.

I was pleased with the paintjob on her, and I'm happy that she could compete with the many very well painted Reaper miniatures in the competition (every year there are quite a few fantastic entries- this year was no exception).

• By Rigel
      Some partly modified Nolzur's Myconid Adults, plus a WotC Manes demon I got in a random box. I had no need of flabby little demons, and I do have need of spore servants, so I took drill and sewing pins to them as described in this thread: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/85573-putting-the-fun-in-fungal-infestation/ 

Behold Mushroom Buddy 1! He's inspired by Boletus subvelutipes, Boletus bicolor, and other more flashy boletes.

And here's Mushroom Buddy 2, modded up with pins. More of a Boletus edulis / B. pinophilus look to him, with enokitake/ Flammulina velutipes sprouts. More of a waxy-cap or psilocybe color to the little sprouts though; all pale would be boring. 

And here's Cletus the spore servant. I figure in life he was a very fat goblin. I made these mushroom stems a very subtle purple (Slaanesh grey + Reaper Vampiric Flesh). 

And here's a group shot! 

• By Sharkbelly
      Hey all, I've begun the process of re-basing some old WOTC Star Wars metal characters that I painted a while back. I've added a little height to each base, and now they will be more consistent with the new Star Wars Legion models. I hope you enjoy them.

The first is the Cerean Jedi. This guy was my character in the Living Force campaign for many years.

Next up is the Human Male Fringer.

Last, for now, is a Warhammer 40K model that I painted up do be a human soldier.

• By MojoBob
      This is a re-paint of one of Wizards of the Coast's pre-painted plastic D&D miniatures. According to the information moulded under the base, it's a Lich Necromancer.

I tried to get his cloak looking like a fairly freshly flayed skin, though with fairly limited success.

WotC's pre-painted miniatures are extremely variable in quality, both in sculpting and in painting. This isn't one of their best in either respect, but neither is it one of their worst.
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)