Willen

WIP Dancer Girl

I think those skirts look great. A light wash on the underside would probably work well, though you could get away with leaving it as is

Thanks ShadowRaven and Cassu!

Ok, so I did the wash. And other things... like thinking on how to emphasize the yellow. And I decided to use a complementary color: purple. I am not 100% convinced on the result; it's been suggested to me the highlight color is off; that I should also use a sharper gradient for the purple.

What do you think?

IMG_20130721_190635_089.jpgIMG_20130721_190530_266.jpgIMG_20130721_190545_010.jpg

I also made this, to take better pictures:

IMG_20130722_152844_213.jpg

And took this pictures!! (still with my phone, I need to borrow a good camera :)

IMG_20130722_153247_034.jpg

IMG_20130722_153059_273.jpgIMG_20130722_153231_028.jpg

• Like 9

The eyes are great and that is some of the best yellow i have seen in awhile.

Oh, the dragon base shows definate promise as well.

I like this combination of purple and yellow. You have a nice soft yellow contrasting with a bold purple- great choice! What color hair? ( I vote black with purple shadows to tie in your purple freehand.) Lovely shading on the skin and the skirt! Can't wait to see the dragon diorama!

Nice work! The second I looked at her, this started playing in my head: http://www.ironandwine.com/video/iron-and-wine-boy-coin

Thanks! I will bookmark it to check it out when I am back to my home computer :) Hopefully it is a pacey tune; that is the idea I want to transmit: simple girl, cheap adorments and garb, dancing for a coin and some food. The base will be finished with a couple of mugs and a broken bottle, probably, if my sculpting skills are up to the task.

The skirts looking really good now.

The eyes are great and that is some of the best yellow i have seen in awhile.

Oh, the dragon base shows definate promise as well.

Really? Thanks! I was watching a TV series yesterday and got some nice ideas for the eyes, upper eyelids, and forehead. Yellow is a difficult color and I am quite happy about how it turned out.

I started working on the dragon yesterday as well. Finally starting with this little girl has restored some of my confidence in painting. Also, after this... 5 to 6 hours of work I feel my hands returning to a steady hold of the brush, and able again to do fine detail work.

I like this combination of purple and yellow. You have a nice soft yellow contrasting with a bold purple- great choice! What color hair? ( I vote black with purple shadows to tie in your purple freehand.) Lovely shading on the skin and the skirt! Can't wait to see the dragon diorama!

You can vote! The hair is going to be black with blue accents... I might try to deviate it to the purple spectrum thou. Thing is, the opposites of the yellow-green I used are both purple and blue; therefore I can use both to accentuate the yellow skirt, and both serve as cold opposites to the warm skin! So all good there.

That Diorama is going to be sweet... if I can pull it off as intended LOL. As always, the mind eye is flawless. I am waiting on the dwarves from Reaper to assemble and do the necessary details with greenstuff.

Willen beautiful work.

Thanks!

Lovely details on that skirt!

Thanks! I am actually thinking of going one little bit further... breaking up the purple band into a purple design... should be easy with just a couple strokes of yellow. We'll see...

• Like 1

First of all...welcome to the club. You will find many friendly members who are great with loads of friendly tips, advice and information. I state this as a fact (since I am also new to the group, having joined in April of this year).

I love your figure selection (Reaper #3531)...I also have this figure as 1 of 12 true Gypsy looking miniatures that I am working on/collecting for my own (Gypsy nomad traveling band) project that I have been working on the past month or so.

My concept for this figure is...she is dancing around the campfire which has a semi-circle of logs (that people can sit on to watch her dance)...and my color scheme for her is a red/burgundy skirt with yellow bottom trim with art work...black vest top with white trim...gold jewel works.

Look forward to seeing your painting progression of this figure (no matter what concept you decide on).

Again, welcome to the fold and hope you enjoy yourself.

• Like 1

Thanks catdancer! I actually decided on the theme, some posts ago (like a month ago, probably, since I had to divert attention to the real life). She is a rag-tag dancer girl in a tavern, distracting the patrons so that her younger siblings can palm a coin or two ;)

Thus, earthy colors mainly. Metals, collar, to be painted as cheap brass and glass ;)

Your concept is a lot more flamboyant. I do believe in balancing and incorporating the colors all over, so a bottom-heavy red paintjob rings... odd? I really want to see your take on it!

BTW, I was just going to look for the Reaper mini #. Thanks for that!

Updates, Updates!

Since I am no longer on vacations, now I only have time to work on painting on the weekends. The mrs also want her share of time, and then the daughter... tough life :;):

But I put about 2 more hours on her this Sunday.

Taking pictures is interesting, because I get to see the mini from new angles. A lot of mistakes also come to life, and the ones I cared about are sometimes lost the whole image.

Anyway, I borrowed my brother's good camera, printed a background and snapped some pics.

I have a whole lot of them to show, but will only post a few here. More can be found in my G+ album if you are interested.

- I fixed the purple on the skirt hem some, and then decided to tidy up its border... and make a little design out of it. I think it looks fine, and also is more forgiving of sloppy brushstrokes (you need a single continous line to be perfect for it to look good!). I might need to go over the yellow again to smooth it out around the triangles but also feel like calling it done and move on).

- I worked some on the face, eyelids, eyes, lips (including shine). I feel she looks much more feminine now. The eyebrows are way too dark, I need to smooth them over with dark flesh washes. I also need to accentuate the shadow of the right side of the face to make the whole face and forehead more rounded but I didn't have time to mix some more skin tone.

- I basecoated the hair in blue, because it is going to the black. Doing so I messed up trying to clean a blue spot in a place of her elbow (not visible actually) and tinted the whole left arm with blue :( Will have to touch it up with more flesh when I mix it again.

danc_wip4.jpgdanc_wip1.jpgdanc_wip6.jpgdanc_wip7.jpg

The following is one picture of the mini with a white backdrop. All those photos came out as quite dark and required color levels adjustments in GIMP. I tried the colors to read to my eyes as the actual mini.

danc_wip2.jpg

- The ones with the backdrop looks "washed up" so I did a Auto - White Balance thingy in GIMP. Only that and cropping - resizing done digitally. I include a "RAW" image at the end so you can compare how GIMP affected color levels. Don't really know how to enhance the image without touching it more, and I am trying to preserve the real thing for you.

danc_wip9_raw.jpg

I need to learn about photography. This experience also made me want to buy a camera; the phone takes great pictures and is also easy to carry around for tourism, etc, but nothing beats a good lens and dedicated device, even if it is low-end like my brother's Lumix Fz47.

After the photo session I washed her hair black, three very thin layers. I also touched up the skin in her arm with base flesh; it still needs depth correction with at least a dark wash and then highlighting... again :(

IMG_20130728_171504_138.jpg

As I was leaving for the office this morning I picked her up and nodded. The hair looks "black" under regular light, but still it is not black as in "light-eating black". It has tone. This is the first time I try this and so far I am liking the effect.

As always, no comment is a bad comment. All opinions, especially those that help me improve, are welcomed and desired!

• Like 10

I was really looking forward to the weekend to do some painting. I woke up with a running nose, headache... it is not funny to paint with aching eyes and a running nose!

So I guess I will just lay in my bed. Hopefully will do some painting after lunch, if I am feeling better.