Willen

WIP Dancer Girl

I did more work on her. Since I have a cold, I did not interrupt the painting to take many in progress pics, sorry.

I actually think she is done and I need to move on. Sans the base, of course. I will do that in a few days.

Work done:

- Highlighted the hair with different blues, a dash of silver for the top highlight, then washed back into the blues.

- Done the metalics; dark steel as a base, black/brown washes, silver drybrush and brass touch-ups for a few pieces I choose to believe are coins used there for rattle/bling. Final very small touch-ups of pure silver (a craft paint I have, Palmer's Acrylics, that is the best metallic silver I have seen).

- Done the little sash with yellow, orange wash, then yellow to pick up raised areas again.

- Cleaned the skin and the skirt where I messed up because of a sloppy brush stroke.

- Toned down the blacklining with Vallejo Model Color "Smoke". It is a rich, very dark red-brown that I had never tried before and boy, I loved it. It's tone is just perfect for lining skin and reds.

Without more words, the pics.

final5.jpgfinal1.jpgfinal2.jpgfinal3.jpgfinal4.jpgfinal6.jpg

As always, C&C welcomed and encouraged. Rip my work apart :)

• Like 11

This is such a lovely figure, fully of character and the the lines are so good on her there is a real sense of in those fabrics.

I think you've done a beautiful job on her and I particularly like the palette you chose. Overall I think she is a stellar piece of work. There are only two things I would suggest that you work on.

I think the highlights on the hair need to come back up. Go lighter with the blue than you think you should, give it a very light glaze with black and then bring the blues back up slowly again. To get the placement of the highlights correct in her hair, turn off all the lights in the room, except for a source directly above her. You'll see exactly where to put those highlights and the hair will look like it is in motion around her.

I like the way you did the skin tones on the face, you seem to have that well blended and her eyes are gorgeous. Your transitions on the arms, the legs and the belly need to be smoother. I would make a glaze of your mid-tone colour to smooth everything out. Then go back with your lightest colour in the highest points to pop those back out.

I'm not a terribly experienced painter, but these are the kinds of things that the experienced painters have told me to work on. I'm sure other forum members can do much better than I on giving you advice.

Hi Anne and thanks a lot for the comments! They help a lot.

My thoughts on them:

1- yep, I did zenital on the hair. But it was the first time I did something so bold on hair (you know, up to now I did only the good old drybrush...) so I kinda got cold feet and toned it down with several medium tone glazes. I could go throu it again and pop the lights up again, yes.

2- The blend is actually quite smooth and the phot, taken by the phone, is very grainy. By "smooth" I mean "transition of color". I was pushing myself for starker shadows and lighter highlights thou, and it got a lot of glazings and touch-ups for correction. The left arm actually got a repaint and since I mix on the spot on my wet pallete it come out as a little "off" :(

Thanks for the comments. They help zoom out and re-see the miniature! I was very happy with the belly like 2 weeks ago and thus never went back to it; I see now with the many thin medium layers it lost some pop for the bellybutton, for example.

Soon I will borrow the good camera again and post her in show-off. When I am done with the barrel base.

She's looking great! I'd probably do a few more highlights on the skin and darken your shadows just a bit for contrast. Areas that could use more shadows- under/in between the breasts, under thighs and legs and down around the ankle bone, maybe under arms and hands- hard to tell. To smooth it out you can always go back with a thin glaze of your skin midtone. This is just for contrast- it looks lovely, but contrast is always hard, so I tend to push it as much as possible. Smoothing the belly like Anne said is also cool. What's the darkest shadow color you're using on the skin? You could get away with a ruddy leather or intense brown for the shadows if you want. The dark line on her thigh between her skirt and leg seems to cool for flesh- can you add a bit of a brown over top to smooth it out? For the hair- the areas where the strands curve are a good place to put those highlights. You could even use a very light blue-gray or even a bit of white for the highlight. I love the skirt and the fringing at the top. The bodice turned out beautifully with great contrast. Awesome!! I love this fig!

Going into more extremes is into my to-do list, yep, will do that!

My darkest skin color was mahogany brown (VMC). It is a dark brown indeed.

I am curious however about what you guys are seeing in the belly. I see more flaws in the blending of the legs, the buttock, the face... than the belly. Can you help me by pointing out where it needs smoothing?

Not so much flaw as just a more abrupt transition. I can see it most on the hip/side where there is a great shadow and the your highlight- so maybe just a thin midtone wash will smooth it nicely. FYI, I always struggle with this, so I'm probably being overly zealous. ::): The transition between the belly and the hip bone looks good!

Ah, I see. Sometimes I emphasize the shape of an area via shadows. I think the light and this camera (too sharp) are actually playing against the paintjob*.

Now I understand what you are saying and will try to capture it better; if you are talking about her right side it is not actually a lot of shadow there in paint. It could use a smoothing under the corset too, I see now :)

*speaking of which, this is the first time I used spray primer and the surface texture is full of imperfections. Sharp lightning picks them up a lot giving the mini an uneven, harsh finish that is not visible to the naked eye. I am unsure if this is natural of the spray, or it was a bad spray due to the weather, or something else.