Willen

WIP Dancer Girl

Hello everybody!

I've been lurking for a couple of weeks now, and since the community seems nice, I wanted to join in.

I always loved converting and painting miniatures. I started with GW stuff about 12 years ago, give or take, and I never got more than 8 Space Marines done because I-had-to-make-everyone-unique! :;):

I used mostly craft paints and synthetic brushes, because in South America it is quite difficult to get a hold on proper paint and brushes (especially paint). Now I decided to come back to painting and modelling, and got a nice brush, and Vallejo paints in a recent trip to Spain. I also picked up some Reaper minis for practice at a shop there... and then I got online, and fell in love with the whole line. Too bad I am so far away from you guys (my wallet and wife are thankful, however!)

Spent around 4 hours (perhaps more) this last weekend cleaning, pinning the arm and finding a suitable place to pin it for holding, this little dancing girl.

2013-05-08_06-45-06_734.jpg

Big issues were removing the "base", correcting the underside of the skirt (not shown in the pic), separating the leg/foot from the skirt (the one you can see with the pin), correcting scratches with putty for a smooth finish, and creating a very, VERY thin pin for the raised arm.

Really looking forward to priming next week and thinking about colour schemes.

PS: I am linking the image from my G+ feed, please let me know if it shows up correctly.

• Like 8

Welcome aboard and great to have you posting. You picked the right place, there's a great community of very friendly and helpful folks here.

Can't wait to see where this is going.

Oh! that poor dancer girl! How it must hurt to dance with a spike in her foot! :wacko:

Welcome to the boards ^_^

LOL, thanks everybody for the welcome! I will try to snap pictures along the process, and share as much as possible so that you can comment and critize (critice? critique? Sorry, English is my second language) along the way.

Now, on "planning" (since I cannot do any painting these days).

Colors and Composition.

I am trying to decide if she is a barmaid, dancing on a table (cool little diorama idea), or a gypsy girl, dancing on a wooden deck (easy to do basing), on on a circle of flowers on the grass. It doesn't really impact on HER painting, but the balance of the scene may suggest different colors.

If she is a barmaid, more subtle earth-brown and caquis are to be employed. She has like too many ornaments to match that idea (but I could try it anyway).

If she is a gyspsy, or more oriental-dancer, then bold and striking colors are in tune.

Umm.

Somehow I want to paint her "skirts" in yellow. That would mean either a bright yellow or a subdued, brown-like yellow. With a warm skin-tone, then the miniature color balance is shifted to the warm side. On a triad color scheme, Yellow should be opposed with purple and blue.

So I am thinking: yellow skirts with purple hem. The bodice will be brown, shaded with blue-black to make it cool, and the detailing highlight in bright yellow-orange. For balance, hair will be a dark blue-black.

What do you think?

• Like 2

I think for a diorama or scene, she should be a gypsy dancing on a table in a bar. She's distracting the customers so her family can pick pockets more easily. That's the story that played out in my mind.

• Like 2

Cool... now I need clapping patrons and at least a boy reaching into their pockets... wait, I have the little kids from the villagers blister, now to find a sitting man drinking, or a man clapping, or both!

Also, a table sounds nice but is a little big for a small base (if I keep her in a small base). A chair? A stool? (I am trying to think about somthing easy to build as well).

Edit: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/boy/sku-down/03233 this I have, and the older girl looks quite about to reach into someone's pocket... :devil:

Edited by Willen
  • Like 1

The little boy in that set could be picking a pocket as well if you modify his reaching hand just a little. I think dancing on a chair or stool would work fine.

As a side note, you can buff out light scratches with steel wool. You do have to be careful it is possible to buff out detail as well and it does create quite a mess of steel wool particles getting every where.

Just recently I discovered what you guys call "steel wool" is. Here, by that name we only have a coarse mess useful for very heavy duty cleaning. I tried, but is is useless for cleaning (perhaps as debris in an industrial base...)

I believe I did a fine job however, using milliput and sanding again. More pics:

2013-05-08_21-09-56_928.jpg

2013-05-08_21-10-14_172.jpg

Do you spot any scratch? (You are a superman, I can barely distinguish features at that size! :;): )

Probably that finer steel wool can be found at some hardware store, but I haven't seen it. I need to ask around.

She looks like a Gypsy. I wonder, would a half barrel type platform be doable?

Something like so, only bigger?

01523_p_1_dks.jpg

Doable... everything is doable. Within my ability with putty? Perhaps, I could try. I certainly have nothing in hand to replicate that :(

I will try a stool this saturday (easy, a "top" and toothpics), and see if I can come up with ideas for the half barrel. As I write I have an idea for how to get the shape easily (a champagne cork would probably help, since it flutes out a lot when out of the bottle), and then covering the thing... mmm...

• Like 1