Sign in to follow this  
Rintor

Warlord Newbie

So, I've decided I really want to give Warlord a good try. I just ordered the rulebook and some of the minis for my first army. Any tips for new players? Also, is there good place on the forums to post to try to find local players?

I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Anyone in my area? I decided to go with Necropolis. I'm really digging the idea of fielding a skeleton army.

Start with a 1000 point build. That's the normal fight size. Necropolis is a good faction as you can go for mass troops or a small number of heavy hitters (vamps).

Reaper has a crapload of skeleton models, too. You can pretty much build a horde and have every model be different.

• Like 2

Start with a 1000 point build. That's the normal fight size. Necropolis is a good faction as you can go for mass troops or a small number of heavy hitters (vamps).

I think for now I'm going to start with a 500 point build until I have a better understanding of the game. Plus, it's easier to convince my buddies to build 500 point armies starting out.

500 is a good size. It allows you to have more than one troop but still keeps things fairly easy to manage. Learning the basic mechanics is pretty easy. Getting a handle on how best to play your army and how all the special abilities and spells can interact takes time, and makes it fun!

Necropolis is a very good choice! Reaper has a ton of models that can be used as proxy! Half of my Necropolis models come from the Dark Heaven line; this gives my army a very different and personal look.

Furthermore the Necropolis could be said to have two sub-factions: The Vampires and The True-Dead. Some players play just vampires, some just true-dead, and other mix everything. This allow for a very versatile and great looking army.

Necropolis is a very good choice! Reaper has a ton of models that can be used as proxy! Half of my Necropolis models come from the Dark Heaven line; this gives my army a very different and personal look.

Furthermore the Necropolis could be said to have two sub-factions: The Vampires and The True-Dead. Some players play just vampires, some just true-dead, and other mix everything. This allow for a very versatile and great looking army.

That's one of the factors that drove my choice. And I think it provides a lot of depth that can be explored. This is going to be a lot of fun. ::D:

Another Newbie here -- Just wondering about the Crusader Faction? I like the figs so that requirement is more that satisfied, but how fun is it to play?

Honestly, I could never get them to work with my play style. The Crusaders aren't beatsticks like Vampires. Plan ahead, use your magic and healing, be subtle. They have cool models, so you win! I have to proxy all of my Vampires.