Sign in to follow this  
Rintor

Warlord Newbie

Crusaders are one of the factions with healing, which can make them very powerful when used well. The Guardian Angel is truly badass and you do not want to be across the table from it with a spellcaster who can resurrect it if you manage to get through its 5 damage and 13 DV.

But for the most part Warlord is pretty well balanced among the factions. There isn't one that is going to give you a distinct advantage, it's a matter of how you play the special abilities and powers you choose.

And don't foget that the Crusaders can summon the Hound and the Doom Kitty. Either of those buggers showing up in the middle of a fight can really ruin someones day.

The Crusaders are a great classic choice (they were the first army that I bought). They have several special abilities that if well exploited can be very interesting…

Access to Healing Magic:

When your opponent has been trying to kill one of your big model and your turn around and heal it, the look on his face… priceless! (For you Phil)

Access to Blessing:

This simple but so wonderful spell can make a big difference in a game. Using it in conjunction with either Gerard or Jehanne’s Warlord benefit can be deadly.

Sacred (Faction Doctrine):

Summoning as a free action… you are in melee combat with a model like Duke Gerard and then pouf… here comes the Guardian Beast! Once again priceless!

Both Crusader and Necropolis are the two factions in the Deluxe starter set when the game was first introduced back in 2004. For a new player, you can't go seriourly wrong with both. Having said that, the game has evolved since then. Each faction has at least 3 different styles of play. I would recommend choosing a Warlord first and then build your army to support it.

Warlord isn't like other wargames in the fact that a Warlord MUST follow certain guidelines of play or simply be useless. In Warlord you can bring any mix to the table and have it work. I don't usually capitalize on Bloodspire's ability with troops, but he still rips off heads in my games! Bloodspire with skeletons works. Or with Crimson Knights. Or with a mass of Crypt Bats. Or behind a row of zombies! It all works! Try them all and have fun!

I can never have enough exclamation points when I write about Warlord!!!!! See!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

I'm also kinda looking into learning the game and building a force. Mostly just to play at the next reapercon. what can you tell me about the elves? And out of curiosity, when did reaper stop sending out stat cards with warlord figures?

Stat cards were first edition. They stopped going out when the rules got revamped for 2nd ed.

Elves have magic and awesome shooty goodness and the Deathseekers will ruin your opponents day.

I like to think of Elves as that "World's Most Interesting Guy" meme.

"I don't always get beat by Elves...but when I do it's a total steamroller!"

Catching your enemy in the open and filling him full of arrows is a great feeling. I'm usually the guy getting filled with arrows, though. Vampires don't carry bows.

• Like 1