Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

New Grimm Grayrune version

Well, he's older, so the beard is longer. More ornamentation in the beard, indicating a higher social standing, probably reflecting a promotion within the church. And I don't want to be indelicate, but he seems to have put on a few pounds, the higher station seems to agree with him.

I like the pose, but since he is a cleric the absence of a holy symbol is jarring. He looks like he'd fit in well with the Oathsworn dwarves.

• Like 2

I like the pose, but since he is a cleric the absence of a holy symbol is jarring. He looks like he'd fit in well with the Oathsworn dwarves.

I was just thinking "in the same vein as Oathsworn but nicely restrained". I didn't like the Oathsworn stuff, it was too fussy for my tastes. This new one on the other hand looks lovely.

A lot of figures have had newer versions. To name a few:

Mother Superior Kristianna: 2509, 14212

Razig: 2437, 14029, 3615

Samantha of the Blade: 2047, 14340

Blacksting: 2299, 2636

Congratulations to John Hickman on his first Reaper-produced sculpt!

I like this sculpt. The sculpting is crisp and the proportions look well suited to painting.

The open hand looks good, too. I find open hands tough to sculpt, but I imagine that stubby dwarven digits would be more forgiving.

I'll be curious to see it in the round, including the back view (where there isn't a big beard to cover everything) and what is visible under the tabard/poncho along the sides.

Welcome, John, to the sculptors' club!

Derek

• Like 3

Is that old one a Sandra Garrity? It looks like a Sandra Garrity.

I like having different versions of the same character available. It adds interest.

The new version is on my "to buy" list. I do like the old version though. Since the first 6 or 7 miniatures I ever bought were SG sculpts, I have a special love for her work.

Have to say, I'm not so much a fan of the old version, but I really like the new one. The old one just seems too busy around the face and head with the way that his beard and hair is splayed around like a giant, unkempt mane and it turns me off. The new one just seems more simple and clean. I also like that the hammer looks like some historical renderings of Mjölnir rather than a more common sledgehammer look.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this