SamuraiJack

New Grimm Grayrune version

Well, he's older, so the beard is longer. More ornamentation in the beard, indicating a higher social standing, probably reflecting a promotion within the church. And I don't want to be indelicate, but he seems to have put on a few pounds, the higher station seems to agree with him.

I like the pose, but since he is a cleric the absence of a holy symbol is jarring. He looks like he'd fit in well with the Oathsworn dwarves.

• Like 2

I like the pose, but since he is a cleric the absence of a holy symbol is jarring. He looks like he'd fit in well with the Oathsworn dwarves.

I was just thinking "in the same vein as Oathsworn but nicely restrained". I didn't like the Oathsworn stuff, it was too fussy for my tastes. This new one on the other hand looks lovely.

A lot of figures have had newer versions. To name a few:

Mother Superior Kristianna: 2509, 14212

Razig: 2437, 14029, 3615

Samantha of the Blade: 2047, 14340

Blacksting: 2299, 2636

Congratulations to John Hickman on his first Reaper-produced sculpt!

I like this sculpt. The sculpting is crisp and the proportions look well suited to painting.

The open hand looks good, too. I find open hands tough to sculpt, but I imagine that stubby dwarven digits would be more forgiving.

I'll be curious to see it in the round, including the back view (where there isn't a big beard to cover everything) and what is visible under the tabard/poncho along the sides.

Welcome, John, to the sculptors' club!

Derek

• Like 3

Is that old one a Sandra Garrity? It looks like a Sandra Garrity.

I like having different versions of the same character available. It adds interest.

The new version is on my "to buy" list. I do like the old version though. Since the first 6 or 7 miniatures I ever bought were SG sculpts, I have a special love for her work.

Have to say, I'm not so much a fan of the old version, but I really like the new one. The old one just seems too busy around the face and head with the way that his beard and hair is splayed around like a giant, unkempt mane and it turns me off. The new one just seems more simple and clean. I also like that the hammer looks like some historical renderings of Mjölnir rather than a more common sledgehammer look.