Aku-chan and the Nineteen Dwarfs

While digging around, looking for my next project, I noticed I still had a lot of my Stonehaven Dwarfs to paint, so I'm getting them finished off.

That should keep me busy until my Bones arrive!

Here's the guys and girls I've already finished:-

Warrior (plus bonus Troll)

gedc0402k.jpg

Rogue and Druidess

gedc0403x.jpg

Mage and Bard

gedc0404.jpg

Here's the rest of the gang primed and ready (minus 1 guy who I'd previously primed in black and is having a scrub down):-

gedc0406b.jpg

And finally the one I'd been working on:-

The King

gedc0405x.jpg

• Like 16

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been working hard on the King today:-

gedc0412.jpg

Got the metal parts finished.

Since my attempt at learning fancier metallics failed dismally, I'm back to using ye olde Washing and Drybrushing.

The Gold parts were basecoated in Reaper Antique Gold, given a brown wash, then a drybrush of Antique Gold followed by one of New Gold.

The Silver parts were basecoated in Honed Steel, given a black wash, then a drybrush of Honed Steel followed by one of Polished Silver.

gedc0413y.jpg

Now his skin is finished.

It was basecoated in a 1:2 mix of Reaper Ruddy Leather and Vallejo Dwarf Skin, then given a highlight of pure Dwarf Skin and then a layer of 1:1 Dwarf Skin and Flat Flesh.

gedc0418u.jpg

And this is as far as I've got on his beard, its a basecoat of Rainy Grey with a wash of Ashen Blue.

Next painting session its getting another coat of Rainy Grey and then one of Rainy Grey/White, but I'm not sure that will create enough contrast, should I have made a darker wash?

• Like 6

Did more work on the King:-

gedc0419.jpg

Finished off his beard with drybrushes of 1:1 and then 1:2 Rainy Grey/Pure White, the shading is prehaps a bit too subtle (it certainly doesn't photograph well), but I think it looks good.

Tidied up a few more areas, painted his beard bangles in Antique Gold, added Ashen Blue highlights to his tabard, did his bandage in Vallejo Ice Yellow with a Sepia wash and basecoated the back of his shield in Walnut Brown and any leather bits in Ruddy Leather.

Just need to finish off the brown parts, fix any mistakes I find, do the base and he's done!

So its time to choose the Dwarf, and the dice have chosen:-

gedc0420.jpg

The Knight (Female).

• Like 6

Finished off the King:-

gedc0421.jpg

I've finally solved one of the problems I was having with layering, instead of fully loading my brush with paint, if I just load up about a third of it, then it doesn't flood out all over the place as soon as the tip touches something ::D:

Now I just need to blend the layers better, but I think that will come with practice.

Anyways, I just need to do the King's base and then I'll make a thread for my Dwarf's in Showoff.

I'll be putting my earlier Dwarfs in there too, would people like piccy's of their backs or should I not worry?

Also made a start on the Knight:-

gedc0422.jpg

She's been lined, had her eye's done and I've bascoated some of the metallic areas (Walnut Brown for steel, Oiled Leather for gold bits).

If I can get it to look right she's going to have Gold and Metallic Red armor.

• Like 7

Did a little bit more to the Knight:-

gedc0423z.jpg

Making a start on the metallics, put down coats of Honed Steel, Antique Gold and metallic red (a 1:1 mix of Honed Steel and Carnage Red).

Not too sure if the red works, it doesn't look like I thought it would.

• Like 2

Did more work to the Knight :-

gedc0432z.jpg

Finished off the metals.

Gold was a drybrush of Antique Gold followed by one of New Gold.

Silver got a drybrush of Honed Steel and her spiky ball of doom got an extra drybrush of Polished Silver.

Metallic red got a highlight of 1:1 Honed Steel/Blood Red, followed by another of 1:1 Polished Silver/Blood Red.

Also did her hair (Sun Yellow) and skin (Rosy Skin) using the recipes from L2PK2. Thanks to some exceptional sculpting from Stonehaven, I think this is the best face and hair I've painted so far.

While the Knight was drying, I made a start on the next Dwarf, the Skeleton:-

gedc0433b.jpg

Just basecoated the metallics so far, Walnut Brown for Silver and Ruddy Leather for Brass.

• Like 6

gedc0434.jpg

Almost finished the Knight, her trousers were done in Vallejo Andrea Blue with 1:3 Andrea Blue/Linen White highlights (that don't want to show up).

Made a start to all her leather straps with a Ruddy Leather basecoat, unfortunately I was fighting a losing battle with my shakey fingers at the time, so I made quite the mess.

When my hands are a bit steadier, I'll repair all the damage and do the final finishing touches.

• Like 2