Sign in to follow this  
Fromper

Next stupid newbie question: Glue?

The next in my ongoing series of stupid newbie questions.

I got the vampier level Bones kickstarter, and there's one mini that doesn't come assembled. Also, in discussing which minis I want to use in my Pathfinder games, someone recommended that I cut up two of the Bones minis and combine the pieces to make something that looks more like what I have in mind for a particular character. And since nothing in the Bones kickstarter vampire kit looks like a kitsune (humanoid fox person), I'm looking at probably buying a metal mini for a kitsune character, and probably modifying it (might need to glue a tail on a mini that doesn't come with one, if I can find an appropriate tail to use for that).

So the obvious questions: What glue do I need? Should I use different glue for Bones vs metal minis? Any advice on using the glue properly? Should I fully assemble any minis before painting, or is it ok to glue the pieces together after they're painted? Anything else I should be asking here but didn't think of, because I'm too much of a clueless newbie?

Thanks in advance!

Super glue. I use Krazy Glue. That's pretty much all you need. I've performed several amputations so far on Bones, and the material takes the glue so well I haven't bothered with pinning or any of the futzing for extra strength that metal requires.

To assemble or not before painting is a personal choice. Sometimes it's not a problem, and sometimes (like my Takhisimat) assembling too much just creates a nightmare when you try to paint. Rule of thumb: if you can get to the area after it's glued, assemble first. If not, paint first.

• Like 2

What Bug said. Cyanoacrylate is your friend; no need to go for the fancy stuff, dollar store Krazy glue works just as nicely. A lot of people swear by the Gorilla Glue superglue (make sure it is the superglue, and not regular Gorilla Glue... you don't want the foaming stuff). If you end up doing large metal figures, you may want to look into an accelerant, and maybe some green stuff, but for Bones you should be fine with CA.

Superglue is your friend.

I prefer epoxy for metal minis 'cause it has a higher shear strength, but it is also fussier and takes longer to dry. Superglue will work with both metal and Bones plastic.

I still regret buying the citadel glue. Superglue it is! Bought my second bottle today, with a handy, little brush :)

I use superglue, and my brother and lawand modelling teacher swears by a brand called zap a gap. I haven't used it yet, as I'm still using up my regular superglue. I also use a bit of green stuff for added strength, small bead of glue and a tiny little ball of green stuff. Also, a really good idea is to rough up the surfaces that are about to be glued. I CAREFULLY use an exacto knife to cut some grooves into both surfaces, this gives more surface area for the glue to grab.

Doomedwheel

• Like 1

I have used Krazy Glue, Loctite, Gorrila Glue super glue, and Zap A Gap. So far my favorite is the Zap A Gap. Not because it works better, but because I've had it for a few months and still haven't glued the bottle closed permanently. Something I am notorious for with the regular bottles. I will say though, and I have only had the problem once, so it could have been a bad batc, but still. Be careful with the dollar store stuff. I had one batch (bottle with I think four tubes in it) that was super runny and did not stick properly, couldn't even do a decent job of gluing my right hand to my left ear.

• Like 2

I've had the same experience with Zap-A-Gap. Holds well, fills a bit when needed (hence the name), and somehow doesn't glue its own lid shut. I've also used the blue-cap Gorilla, and it works great too.