Sign in to follow this  
Sanael

3017 Charnel Grub

A fairly quick paint-up. The dragonlance party is soon to go through the Sla-Mori, and although we don't have a giant slug (yes, I know we could get one in a variety of places), we do have a carrion crawler that I've wanted to paint for a while. It's slimy and gross enough to stand in for a slug, so now it got painted.

This is actually the P-65 version, which is to say it's absolutely no different than the regular version (unless you eat it, but if you eat this mini I'd be upset with you, which should be the more immediate concern than lead poisoning).

Again, it was quickly done (likely no more than five hours of work, so a lot of the transitions are totally rough). It's also one of the first minis I've worked on while at work, which is kinda exciting. I get an hour for lunch, so my cubicle has a corner with paint stuff, and I typically take half an hour to eat and half an hour to paint. Good times.

I like the color, I'm happy with the fade from green to pink (holy crap, complimentary colors don't want to fade cleanly! They just wanna be brown...who knew?) on the tentacles. The transparent effects on the slime carpet are...a valiant effort, I guess. And he looks good on the table, so that's the real goal.

post-3328-0-72011700-1368332492_thumb.jpg

C&C welcome and appreciated!

• Like 15

I remember when Reaper released this model. My first thought was, "oh my god, that is the BEST carrion crawler ever!" Yanno what? It still is. :;):

Nice work on this, Adam. I enjoy seeing how people take this model on. I've got a couple of these, and mine look more maggoty (pale, grub-like coloration). Yours looks more like a catapillar gone horribly, horribly wrong. The greens are really nice.

~v

• Like 2

Thanks, Vince. He was a really fun model to paint; I may very well paint more. I think the translucent yellow-white carapace over poop-brown innards of a grubworm might be a fun thing to try and paint.

Credit where it's due, Talespinner's version from some time ago (it's in the Inspiration Gallery) was the inspiration for the greens. That's actually the reason I picked this model up...it's just been waiting for paint for quite a while. Glad you like it!

Very nice! I've got a couple of those. They are more fun to paint than the purple worm. I love how yours came out.

I do like Eat Your Face Slug, but I don't have a copy right now. And since it needs to happen likely next week, we've got this guy for now. I do want to paint EYFS eventually, though; you're right that it's hilarious.

It's also a reasonable replacement for the Terror from Planet X beast if all you have are the Buck Rogers mouslings, with no alien beast.

• Like 1

I really like the slime. The fact that it's opaque just makes it look way more gross. Nice blends on the tentacles, too. Did you just have to layer through a lot of colors, or did you use another technique to transition the shades?