Question about bases: size variation?

Pingo

I got to wondering this during a discussion of broccoli bases.

Awhile back I got the Reaper set DHL Classics: Female Wizards.

The figures I got did not seem to have the same bases as those shown in the online store; they appeared noticeably smaller. The central figure, in particular, had just a little rim of base around and under her skirt.

I don't mind that at all. I glued the figures to fender washers for stability, and the very small bases made it easier to blend them in.

On the other hand, I kind of had to do that because they were less stable because of the small bases.

Has something changed in the sculpts? Was this a fluke, or have the bases on those three female wizards been reduced in size?

Or is this just some weird optical illusion and my eyes are playing tricks on me?

Edited by Pingo

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it is an illusion. Looking at the Boneyard pictures, the bases look smaller than they do in the main picture, so I suspect what has happened is a retooling of the masters and molds. This makes sense as a cost-saving measure for Reaper and hopefully keeps prices a little lower.

It appears to be a case of old photos not matching a new reality, such as with the LTPK photos (though I don't know if they've decided to make that change permanent or not).

I don't think it's an illusion either. I pulled out those three minis earlier today to compare them to the online pix because I didn't trust my visual memory, and even under a little epoxy, yeah, there's no way their bases were as big as the ones shown on the online store.

One of my figures is in this thread: http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/49261-02042-marith-of-the-flame-sandra-garrity/

Even from the angle of my photos you can see there's almost no base between the figure's feet and the washer.

I have two of the figures that I painted in 2001 and they have the full bases as shown. It's possible they were recently retooled to make the figures lighter when they were re-released as the 3-pack.