trystangst

Trystan's Assorted WIPs

I'm not going to backtrack to the first minis I did upon returning to the hobby - if you're interested in that, and have some free time, you can find the WIPs here:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/showthread.php?45326-TrystanGST-s-WIP-thread

(warning - it goes back to March 2011 and has over 1500 posts, mostly on topic)

If you just want the picture history, you can view my Photobucket account here:

http://s240.photobucket.com/user/Trystan_Spyder/library/40k?sort=3&page=1

(again a warning - there's 637 images, and a few partially nude minis)

Now that that's all out of the way, we can get down to the current projects.

At the moment I'm juggling Ahnamoth from Enigma:

mino15.jpg

mino16.jpg

Draznicht from the GW Dark Vengeance Box:

draz6.jpg

Francesca Lucchini from Strike Witches (it's a resin kit from e2046):

franc6.jpg

And last, but not least, Sally (and Squidman) from Bombshell Babes:

sally1.jpg

One last note - I'm not in the habit of posting a lot of text with my WIP pics, so if you have questions about colors used or how I did something or whatever, please ask and I'll do my best to explain or take more pics.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 6

Strike Witches. You have just become one of my favoritest mini painters of the day

Edited by ShadowRaven
  • Like 1

Well here's my first update. The Shadow grey I had on the suit was too blue, so I went over most of it again with a lighter color (Astronomicon Grey). This will for the base as I work up to white on the highlights. I also went over the orange piping with Blazing Orange. It will get a lighter orange on the high spots. There's really not a whole lot to her, color-wise. Lots of little details though.

sally2.jpg

sally3.jpg

With these Babes, I am sticking with the concept art colors where possible. There's a few, like Wu Ling, that are just sketches. In those instances (and the Relic Babes, which didn't come with art cards), I will go wherever I am taken.

• Like 11

Excellent job on the skin tones there, love the face on this one. Out of curiosity, how did you approach all those little lines on the armor, like the rectangle there on the right leg in the bottom picture?

Excellent job on the skin tones there, love the face on this one. Out of curiosity, how did you approach all those little lines on the armor, like the rectangle there on the right leg in the bottom picture?

Since I had already painted the whole area with shadow grey previously, I just tried to keep my brush away from the edges when I came back with the lighter color. I was successful, for the most part. Some of the edges still need a little cleaning, but I want to finish getting all the base colors down before I touch things up.

Update number two. I'm surprised how quickly she went. Granted she's almost all one color, but still. All that's left is to attach and paint the jetpack. Then I can paint up Squidwordman and then attach them to the base I made.

I've included the original art card in the bottom pic. Which was hard to photo, since my phone is dumb and can't focus very well.

sally4.jpg

sally5.jpg

sally6.jpg

• Like 14

Since I had already painted the whole area with shadow grey previously, I just tried to keep my brush away from the edges when I came back with the lighter color. I was successful, for the most part. Some of the edges still need a little cleaning, but I want to finish getting all the base colors down before I touch things up.

Thanks, much appreciated!

Looking great, really matches the box there, not to mention a great job with the face and hair.

Normally I won't copy/paste a post from my CMON WIP, but I felt the "story" I put with this WIP pic was important enough to share.

"So, as you may or may not know, I've been working 3rd shift since about Thanksgiving. It's cool because when things are slow, I have time to paint. And in IT, things are often slow in the middle of the night. I use painting as a way to help keep awake as well, since it require focus. I still enjoy painting, and I love having almost dedicated time to do it. But lately, like this last week, I've been having trouble getting myself to paint. And that's a bad thing, since if I'm not painting I'm not really doing much, which is a great way to get really sleepy. Ok ok, the 4 hours of sleep a day aren't helping. But whatever.

Anyways, even though I need another project like I need something I don't need, I felt that a fresh mini would help re-invigorate me. And it has. So far. I'm not forgetting about Sally and Squidman, or Draznicht, or Ahnamoth. I just wanted to paint something different. The figure I chose is something I've had sitting around, primed, for a long time. It's a figure I love, but one I was afraid to start for fear that my skills weren't ready. They still may not be, but I'm giving it a go anwyays.
And hailing all the way from wherever Rackham was, the Wolfen Prowler:
prow1.jpg
I wanted to go with a panther feel, so staying black for the "skin" was critical. For the garb, I am going to aim for a linen white, since in the desert dark colors would be folly. Especially if you're already covered in black fur. I haven't decided if I want the cowl to be the same color as the shirt or not.
Comments, criticism, concerns welcome as always ;)"

• Like 6

Finished Draznicht tonight. I wasn't able to get to a brush all week pretty much, which was a bummer. There's a bit of a priority on the Dark Vengeance stuff now, since the owner wants to actually, you know, use them. I'll still be doing other stuff too. I don't think I could power thru the whole box without straying once in a while. Also, I helped a friend move this past weekend, and he was nice enough to give me his mini display case. So no more cramming them into a car display box. Yay!
case.jpg
Draz will get nice final photos when the rest of his posse is ready.
draz8.jpg
draz9.jpg

• Like 5