Wet palettes and washes

Unruly

@Harrek, when I'm creating a mix on the wet palette, it's usually my "mixing brush," otherwise known as Janky, doing the work. One of my very first brushes, Janky is a synthetic with bristles that now hook and splay in all directions...it's kind of like a tiny whisk, which is why I like it for this purpose.

If I'm just adding a bit of water or additive to the current mix, I'll usually just use the brush I'm painting with, blend the water in a bit, and then make sure to give the "good" brush an extra swish or two through the rinsewater on it's next rinse (I rinse early and often!). If I really wanted to baby my good brush, I could use the brush end or old Janky for adding water, but generally I don't go to that much trouble, especially since I tend to fiddle with paint consistency on an as-needed basis.

The good brushes get lots of TLC on cleaning day. Janky stays in the cup.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently mixing with my W&N S7 more often than not, but when I started as a kid I used matchsticks. They're not as narrow as toothpicks and give a better result for moving paint around in my experience.

Excuse me, I've gotta go buy some matchsticks now >.>

Edited by Laoke

I'm currently mixing with my W&N S7 more often than not, but when I started as a kid I used matchsticks. They're not as narrow as toothpicks and give a better result for moving paint around in my experience.

Excuse me, I've gotta go buy some matchsticks now >.>

I was thinking of trying the flat toothpicks instead of the round pointed ones. That would be more like a matchstick.

RE paintlog I also second that emotion.

I've made a wet palette from a small Tupperwareish container, a sponge, a layer or two of paper towel for correct color (the sponge is blue, paper towel is white), and parchment paper cut slightly larger than the sponge so it goes up on the edges. it makes sort of a cup, so the paint doesn't run over the edge into the sponge, but it may not be the size you want to mix individual paints.