Sign in to follow this  
EdgeOfDreams

77012: Gnoll Warrior (Bones) - Arctic Blue Fur Experiment

As my first project after doing LTPK #1, I decided to try my hand at the Gnoll Warrior. I figured the armor+fur techniques I've learned so far would apply well. However, I thought I'd try to do something a little different with the fur color. Here's the pics, more info after:

post-12210-0-86331700-1368425223_thumb.jpg

post-12210-0-32305300-1368424906_thumb.jpg

post-12210-0-38989100-1368425003_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the mace and shield at this point (True Silver + wash of Black Ink for the metal, Intense Brown + wash with Walnut Brown for wood on the shield). The fur, on the other hand, I'm not so sure about. The idea was to make this a "frost gnoll" or something like that by getting some sort of icy or arctic looking fur. What you see in the picture is the result of a base coat of Sapphire Blue, followed by a wash of Pure White, and finally another wash of extremely diluted Sapphire Blue. I'm having a really hard time deciding if I want to do the same with the rest of his fur, or paint over that with something completely different.

Part of my problem is that I'm working with a pretty limited selection of colors while I wait for my Kickstarter bones and paint sets. I've got the colors from LTPK #1, plus a shiny purple and a Mint Green. I'm wondering if it would be possible to achieve a sandy brown tone for the fur, akin to a hyena or desert fox, using only the Tanned Skin, Intense Brown, and Pure White I've got on hand, or if I'm just S.O.L until I obtain some yellow paint.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Any other suggestions for color choices and techniques on this mini?

Edited by EdgeOfDreams
  • Like 2

That shield does look good. The hair colour would probably look better reversed. Paint it white then wash it with blue. Or a white/blue blend with a blue wash followed by a white drybrush on just the tips to follow the LTPK1 style. White won't occur under blue like that, even if it occurred like that the white would reflect the blue and appear bluish anyway. Google blue hair and you can see a lot of examples, although of course they are the result of wigs or dye. Still, you'll notice the roots invariably appear darker, even when the darkness is the result of shadows.

What Saden said. Look at pictures of snow: even white snow (which is no white, but I risk going off topic there), when removed/not completely uniform will show deep shadows of black in the recesses!

When in doubt, "shade darker, highlight lighter". Contrast is a powerful tool in a mini.

The base of the hair is good. Apply a general wash of blue. The darkest blue you have. Then add some black to that mix and only wash the hair closer to the scalp, the deep recesses, and the underside of the mane (shine a powerful light on top of the mini, and notice the shadows on the hair. Paint the areas where there is not light with this super-dark shade of blue).

Highlight this super dark only in the most protruding tips with pure blue, to add diversity (this is because it is hair, and thus a non-uniform area. This will help suggest texture!). Then highlight the tips with a light blue (mix blue and white until you are happy). Only the most diminute tips should be white! White is the strongest highlight and contrast you can use, and so it must be reserved for enphasis :)

YMMV, of course. Just offering a suggestion on how I would do it. Try it, or not, and learn to do it your own way :)

Thanks, Suden and Willen. I'll try blue-over-white as you suggested and see how it compares to the white-over-blue that's on there right now. I've also got to figure out a color for the cloth on the lower body - Probably gonna stick with silver+black for the rest of the metal armor, and brown leather colors for straps, but I'm undecided about the little kilt or whatever it is at the bottom.

Alrighty, so, I made a bunch of progress on this guy today. Pretty much everything's done except the fur, face, and base. The various blue and blue/white shades you see on the fur are the result of further experimenting. I decided that the basic white of the Bones material doesn't make enough contrast for me to judge the effectiveness of the fur colors, so I went ahead and painted the rest of him for the sake of context.

post-12210-0-39807700-1368513155_thumb.jpg

post-12210-0-73354400-1368513181_thumb.jpg

post-12210-0-25439200-1368513207_thumb.jpg

post-12210-0-69928100-1368513233_thumb.jpg

post-12210-0-36086700-1368513261_thumb.jpg

My plan for tomorrow is to paint (or re-paint) all the fur, face, and base with Pure White, wash the fur with a mix of Sapphire Blue + Pure White (something like a 1:5 ratio seems to be good), and then dry brush a few select areas (like the tips of the mane) with pure white. The base will likely get a wash of Black Ink for a grey flagstone look, while the face may get a darker tone of blue or even some black around the muzzle depending on how I feel. Teeth/eyes/ears/claws will be done with the usual techniques.

After that and possibly some touch-ups, he'll be done.

Any more thoughts or suggestions?

The metallics look good, as does the blue cloth. I think the fur needs some more contrast, even if you intend to keep it that light. As Willen pointed out, contrast is king on these small minis.

Hello,

I like where the fur is going, and the metals and shield look great.

May I ask why you chose blue cloth? My initial thought was to do some kind of contrasting color (fur vs. cloth) on my gnoll (which I haven't painted yet...), but I'm curious as to how this will come out. When you said 'frost gnoll,' I was picturing whitish/greyish cloth to blend in with ice and snow.

Cheers!

Blue cloth was based on me simply not having any other colors I felt like using for that part. I figured it would at least contrast with the fur in a dark-vs-light sort of way.

The mini's actually done now, I just haven't had a chance to post photos of it yet. I'll do that soon.