Trying My Hand

Hello all i was wondering about trying my hand at sculpting some tiny things like some stalagmites to go with some of my dungeons i have a set of wood working tools i picked up at hobby lobby a long time ago i figure i might be able to use those in some way but my question is what other tools would i need to say maybe get a rocky pitted texture and would sculpey be a good thing to use to start off with? thanks for any info

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You really don't need anything other than a hobby knife to do some basic sculpting. Other tools are helpful, but if you just want to do some simple basing or terrain, an X-Acto with a #11 blade will work. There is also a pretty good thread on building some sculpting tools from bamboo skewers http://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/27.

I have no experience with Sculpey, thought I am sure others have and will chime in. I use Kneadatite and Milliuput for pretty much everything I do.

Sculpey is a great putty for the inexperienced....and the experienced for that matter. The only issue is that you have to bake it to cure it. So make sure that if you sculpt something out of sculpey that it is in a position to be able to go into the oven. If it's on plastic or something that plastic is gonna MELT if you put it in there with it. Great material though. Greenstuff can be a BUTT for beginners...nearly impossible.