New Mini Painter Here

rockharder81

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use acrylic craft paint and a triple gloss top coat. I used that top coat because it's what I had available after painting a Christmas village and the minis are going to be used a lot in a D&D game. The acrylic is super fragile, so it needs to be protected. Sadly, the minis are not mine, they are for my roommate, so I don't have any control over how they are handled. LoL :)

I have a matte varnish after painting Kragmar the Giant Slayer for another D&D guy. My roommate just prefers the gloss. I don't mind either way. The photo really is quite poor. It's top-lit and it doesn't really show a lot of detail. I might use the varnish on the pieces I'm doing for myself though. I just bought the Guardian Dragon and I want him to be perfect. LoL

No primer? Since you mention fragility of the coat, and since they bear a shocking resemblance to how I originally painted, I'm going to guess not.

But we can help with that. Some primer, lining, and thinned paint and it's a whole new world of possibility. If your experience is anything like mine, it's a lot easier too. How long did these take?

Yup, no primer or lining. I just learned about both of these things yesterday while combing these forums. I have lots of ideas since joining Reaper. ;) They take me anywhere from 2 to 5 hours, start to finish.

ETA: To be fair, the one that took 2 hours was a halfling and she was really tiny. LoL

Edited by rockharder81

Yup, no primer or lining. I just learned about both of these things yesterday while combing these forums. I have lots of ideas since joining Reaper. ;) They take me anywhere from 2 to 5 hours, start to finish.

Your real name's not Spligub, is it? ::P:

Well, I can tell from your work posted and the time it took that it's pretty much almost exactly what I was doing. Normally I don't like to give advice in show-off or WIP threads unless asked. I'm only doing it here because I can see what you're doing and it's how I was doing things. You've definitely got the skills to do very good work, you'll just need to make a few changes to tools and methods. It really will be a lot easier, and you'll be amazed what you can do.

The Reaper learn to paint kits are the best deal and easiest way to get going good fast, if those are an option. Kits 1 & 2 at least, the rest if you can. That'll get you some primer, some paint, some brushes, and teach you some neat things. It's all pretty easy stuff, but the results can amaze. It looks like you've got good control and a good eye, so I strongly recommend trying the kits out to build your foundations and let the full range of your ability shine.

LoL! No, my real name is not Spilgub. ;) I will definitely check out everything I can on the forums and try to branch out a little. The whole thing started with my roommate asking me to paint him a single figure to use in his current campaign. It has grown to include many possible characters for him, baddies for the current campaign, and a few pieces for myself to play with. It has taken over half of my kitchen table and has gotten really out of hand. :D

• Like 1