New Mini Painter Here

rockharder81

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I find funny is that I have nothing to do with these figures. All the original ones I bought will go with my roommate when he moves out. The few I have for myself will just sit on a shelf as I don't play RPGs. I do MMO, but there's no real need for tangible characters. However, I am guilty of painting a dwarf after my Rift toon. And I love her to bits. ;)

Yup, nice clean work. Miles better than my first attempts (or, hell, my second attempts when I got back into the hobby after dropping it for a decade or two : )

It looks like you've got a good, steady eye and good line control. Those are excellent starting points. Where I'd go from here

• Primer is a really good idea, it helps paint stick to metal figures. You don't need it on the Bones figures, which you may find interesting as they're cheap and a bit more durable than metal figures.
  • As Buglips said, the L2PKs would be a good deal for you. You'd get some primer / matt sealer out of them, along with paints, brushes, and 'How To' guides
  • The techniques in general work on how to shade areas that should be in shadow, and highlight areas that should be in the light. Together, they add definition to a figure, which is really the only thing that I think is lacking from your first ones
  • Make sure you put your first figures away somewhere so you can look at them in 3-6 months time and be amazed at your progress

Thanks everyone! :) I really do have fun painting and I'm looking forward to learning more as I go. I just ordered some primer, (and an earth elemental possibly jumped in my shipment somehow...), and I'm looking into lining and shading. Everyone that mentioned shading and such, you're right. The bodies don't bother me all that much, but the faces are very flat and I would like to do a better job on them. I have a succubus that I painted and her face just doesn't do her justice. It made a decent paint job look really amateurish. Maybe I'll try her again after I practice more.

• Like 1