Sign in to follow this  
Paymaster Games

Question from Paymaster Games

Hello guys,

I have a question that needs to be fleshed out a bit. My fantastic wife is putting together a skirmish style model based board game, that she would like to put up on Kickstarter. This game is intended for begining model gamers and kids (which we more then a few). This game is intended to intoduce people to easy to play mechanic that get harder as the player becomes more skilled. The models are intended to be easy to paint and base, so that new gamers and kids can learn the skills needed to presue the gamer hobby.

I want to help her with this project, i have allot of contacts in the industry (artist, sculpters, casters and others) that will make this project easy to put out. But here is the problem it is looking that this project around the same time I am going to set up my own all model Going Native Kickstarter. I was wondering how you guys would feel if I were to help my wife with her project and still did my own KS Campaign?

Oh here is her concept -

It is capture the flag kind of game, where small candy shaped "slimes" steal a cake or pie from the other team and return it to their starting zone. We are planning spawn points that allow dead slimes to return to the game (like video games). Here is some concept art for the project

EightSlimes.jpg

DandDSlimes.jpg

• Like 8

I want this game so badly! I would DEFINITELY kickstart this because my kids would absolutely flip for it. I also just showed these concepts to my girlfriend and the length of the "aww" that came out was definitely a "sold" statement.

Honestly, if you want to do the two projects, just setup a second account for your wife to kickstart the game through. Using your KS account for both will have people wondering, but you can just get a setup going for her, independent of you. I would, of course, include the fact that Paymaster Games is involved in her production, but it will be better than having both projects up as "current" on your KS account. At least, that's my thinking.

Edited by recruittons

Those are adorable.

I would blanch at running two Kickstarters at once. But I don't know, maybe the economies of scale, and that there are two of you, and that you already have Kickstarter experience and industry contacts may smooth the way.

If it is your wife's project and she is going to be the primary point of contact through its life then she should definitely just run things via her own account as recruittons said, in which case most people wont even be aware that you are involved in multiple projects (though you should probably cover it in the concerns section of both projects just for transparency).

You helping her during your own project will only be an issue if it would get in the way of your project or if you start cross advertising each other aggressively in each: If you are just giving her advice or setting her up with your contacts then that shouldn't be a problem.

As to that concept art: I highly suspect if those figures got created I'd be forced to get at least two sets, ignoring the game (one for me, one for my kid sister who lives with me) and eventually would get stuck writing up some D&D stats for their use. :)

The figures look very very cute... make sure she includes a minis only option....

But I agree, have her do it on her own account if she is doing the majority of the work and you are only assisting with contacts etc.

Well the question would be is if setting up her own account would require a second business or of both can be published by paymaster games? I would think, for lots of reasons, keeping it in the same company would be ideal for you tax wise but I agree that if you go the route of two different accounts to state you're helping (as you have run a successfully one).

Is this one going to be associated with Springboard as well?

I have not talked to spring board yet. I know that they can put up their own KS Campaign, hell they were running like 3 or 4 just a couple of months ago. This is just the planning stage right now. I need to get all the ducks in a row. You know how things go.

What did you think of the concepts Monkey Sloth?

I'm not sure how muddy the water is when calling something a candy-shaped slime that is based on a well-known kind of candy.

I know KS no longer allows companies to run two project at the same time

(Tor Miniatures had to close their fantasy football related project as they wanted to run a KS for their Relics wargame at the same time and KS said no)

so while back to back is probably OK if they have to run at the same time KS will require 2 separate companies to be involved

Interesting concept. However, despite the cute, the one thing gnawing through my demented mind is the fact my first thought was, "OMG! That's the In-Training form of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man!" (Digimon reference).

ya i know. She wanted the slimes to look some thing inbetween a gumdrop and a chocolate chip and this is what the artist came up with. When you think about it, slimes take two real shapes, goo and a water balloon. We opted for the later, becouse it is cuter and our baby girl loves how cute they are.

Re: Kickstarter: I would

1. Ensure all things from all prior kickstarters for all involved companies are put to bed (I don't know what your prior KS looks like on fulfillment, if it's done then great, if not, get it done; this is also true for any companies you're working with for a new project) before going live with the new one.
    1. Go ahead and announce a new campaign (on Facebook, etc.) prior to going live even if fulfillment isn't complete on prior projects, but don't go live until you're done with wwhat came before.
    2. This includes fulfillment, but also any other things an existing project might have; make sure you postmortem so you can improve the next one!
  2. Don't try to run two concurrent projects from the same household. I suspect, even if you got around all the legal mumbo and had two companies so you could run concurrent projects, that two in the same house would lead to levels of unwelcome insanity.
    1. I, personally, would lead with the project I expected to do better, so the second (hypothetically less popular out of the gate) project will get built in support from fans of your company (rather than just fans of the genre it fits).
  3. Have AT LEAST 2/3 of your planned product ready to go to "the point of no return," whatever that may be for your planned medium.
    1. For miniatures, I would call this the sculpt phase. So have all your concept art ready to go, have sculptors lined up and ready to take the work, and so forth.
    2. For board games, I would say you should have a working (not final, necessarily) game design and a planned publisher (that already knows you're planning to use them).
    3. This one is important in my mind as a way to instill confidence. "We already have these things half done, we need your help to do the rest" is a lot more inspiring than "I've got this great idea, give me money!"

Anyway, that's my two cents. For now. And I may well be preaching to the choir, if so I apologize for being a pedant.

I do love the concepts for the little slimes. I would love to see about six "naked" ones, with no accessories on them (so like the "default," "hungry" and "piggyback" ideas), which could be useful to me in RPGs as monster types. I also love the "classed" slimes...may have to build a civilised race out of the idea.

This looks like it could be a successful project, it seems like a fun idea and that is some cute looking concept art.

I know I am looking forward to your new Warpath kickstarter. I didn't back the first one but after seeing the figures you produced for it I know I will be backing the next one. I have got to have a deer woman. And a Sasquatch. And as many of those spirit beasts as I can afford. And the Hawaiian warriors. And probably everything else.

As long as you make sure everyone knows that it is your wife's project and you will just be helping her with it, there shouldn't be any issues. Of course the kickstarters don't need to run at exactly the same time, and they probably shouldn't. I would think, since the warpath stuff seems much further along, you could probably set up your wife's kickstarter to start a few weeks after yours ends. The longer you have to polish the concepts the better it will be anyway. Ideally you will want to have some actual sculpts and maybe a game demo if you can get it before you launch the project. Of course I don't know how fleshed out her ideas are now. If you already have a workable game system it shouldn't take long, but if not you will want to get plenty of playtesting and debugging done so the project has the best chance of success.

I think the biggest obstacle your last project faced was that it wasn't as prepared as it should have been. If you had a few more sculpts up front and had your game play videos earlier you would likely have had considerably more success. It did successfully fund, but I really think it could have been huge if everyone had seen the amazing work you were doing sooner.