Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

W&N S7 miniature brushes?

I'm not sure if they're new, but they are for painting "miniature" watercolors, not miniature figures.

I believe they are thinner and shorter than standard Series 7 brushes.

I am not sure that they are superior to regular Series 7s for figure painting needs.

I have a couple because I wanted to see the difference. They've slightly stubbier, smaller brushes (compared to the same # non-miniature WNS7), I should probably use them for things where I need a bit of a stiffer brush.

Definitely prefer the larger bellies of the regular Series 7s.

I bought a miniature series 7 by accident and have been using it. I love it in comparison to the other brushes I have tried (Citadel/Reaper LTPK/cheap brushes from Michael's/etc), but I want to pick up at least a #2 and a #0 at some point. I was hoping that my Games & Gears Pro brushes would quench that urge, but from what others have said, I may be purchasing some series 7 brushes as soon as there is a coupon.

The size of the brush will impact how long you can keep the paint on the brush before applying the paint & how much paint will be available per dip in the paint.

Depending on the climate you live and paint in, you'll prefer one over the other. My recommendation is to get used to the larger one as it will eventually mean less dips in the paint for you and more time on the mini :;):

The Miniature S7 is good for painting things when you don't want the brush belly to get in the way. They're also great detail brushes. Just another tool in the quiver.

• Like 2

I picked up a W&N Dick Blick brush yesterday as well as a Princeton while I was in the local DB.. I was able to grab some W&N brush clener per the brush cleaning thread and a couple other small things.. by and large I escaped with wallet intact.. but passing up some of the high end artist paint, especially the sparkly jewel tones was difficult..

After mangling Shanna's eyes horribly with little 000 range brushes (pic in the L2PK1 or 2 thread), what you see on the latest WIP is using a combination of WNS7 1 & 2. I just favor the bigger brushes.

There's a bit more of a difference than just being shorter. A standard series 7 bulges out a little to a full belly then down to the fine tip. The additional length and the belly flex more. The miniature is more of a wedge shape, a straight taper from the ferrule down to the point. The miniature also tend to be significantly smaller in diameter. So people might say they paint with a 2 or even higher on a miniature and that'll seem a lot bigger to someone who paints with a full belly.

You can see the difference in shape between the two well in the second and fifth photos on this page - http://www.crookedeye.net/tips/brushes/brushes.shtml

You can see the wide variance in brush sizing between types and manufacturers in the second photo on this page (all three brushes are sized 0) - http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=7

The Da Vinci Maestro has a similar two types of brushes. The wedge are called Restauro. I believe Rosemary & Co. and some of the other Kolinsky brush makers have the same options.

Some mini painters love the miniature. I believe both Jennifer Haley and Marike Reimer use them and praise their precision, and clearly they get pretty nice results with the brushes!. I can't figure out how to use them well for anything other than small dots. They just splay on me. I need the full belly and longer length of the standard to blend or get fine lines. Though I have had brushes that are a little too long. I have a definite sweet spot for what paints well for me, so I love that Dick Blick shows the length and diameter of the brushes they sell.

If a person can afford it, I always recommend that a painter just starting to try Kolinsky brushes get at least one of each to try to get an idea what works for them.

• Like 2

If a person can afford it, I always recommend that a painter just starting to try Kolinsky brushes get at least one of each to try to get an idea what works for them.

+1 to that. I bought several WNS7: 2, 1, 0, 000 and miniature 1. Though I mostly use the 2 and to a lesser extent the 1, I do use all of them enough to be glad for the variety.

I have three of the W&N S7 Mini brushes, the largest being a #1. All of them are useful in tight spots where a brush with a wider belly gets in the way. With paint at a layering to thin basecoat consistency, they all work well enough for detail work. The short tips, which don't flex as much, can be easier to use on fine details compared to longer brushes, depending on how firm the longer brushes are.

I have a #0 and a #00, and these two look and act a lot alike, though the #0 has a slightly longer ferrule. The #1 is easily seen as larger than both, and it gets used more often than the other two combined. The extra paint capacity of the #1 makes it easier to use. Furthermore, I see no noticeable difference in the size of the smallest lines the three brushes make.