Fanguad's Workbench

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Progress on Micro Arts Studio Infinity District 5 Garage, and request for suggestions.

I dirtied this up a bunch with my airbrush and Secret Weapon washes (Aaron Lovejoy tip, he said they make good tints).  But I'm trying to figure out how to make the lights above the garage doors look like lights and not just blobs of colors.  Any idea?

post-8582-0-39577900-1399602004_thumb.jpg

post-8582-0-50251300-1399602005_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Secondary light only shows as light if it's stronger than the primary light source. So in full daylight, it's got to be very strong and even then will be very limited in effect. So the first issue is your white room doesn't have shadows where you can create the illusion of light. If you look at the image below, there's very little color cast onto the light background, and that sign is in daylight on a sunny day.

JohnsNeon900.jpg

I think you've set yourself a difficult task here!

Now, as for what I'd do....I'd probably start over with a darker structure and use the lighting to define it, and cheat in some ambient lights and maybe a pattern of lighting from off-stage lights in the ceiling for the interior. If you want to keep the structure white, I'd still put in more definition and some shadows (white is tough!) and be way more restrained with the lighting using much thinner paint.

Plus what MS said!

• Like 4

I finished up one figure, so that means I get to start 2 more, right?  They are only primed at the moment, but I did some directional highlighting on them per my Aaron Lovejoy class.

Gnome Paladin from Stonehaven

post-8582-0-03182300-1399679141.jpg   post-8582-0-77916800-1399679141.jpg

50321, Wild West Missionary (ReaperCon early release)

I love how smooth the resin is - airbrushed primer keeps it looking sooo good.  I kinda don't want to ruin him with my hamfisted painting.

(I think my camera got a little confused without any notable colors to pick up)

post-8582-0-78452700-1399679142_thumb.jpg   post-8582-0-87382800-1399679143_thumb.jpg

post-8582-0-74111100-1399679144_thumb.jpg   post-8582-0-73983800-1399679145_thumb.jpg

Edited by fanguad
  • Like 12

Progress today.  Was briefly interrupted by a party of halflings (not all of whom were halfings before the reduce-person trap) trying vainly to struggle against the murderous and violent rule of their giant betters.

Other random good news is that my Darksword GRRM Kickstarter package arrived today.

First up is the Wild West Missionary, with some skin and wood painted.  He's not actually attached to his base yet, but he's easier to photo this way.

DSC04602.JPG   DSC04608.JPG

Then we have the gnome paladin.  I acquired 4 new pinks at ReaperCon (which is about 3 more than I really needed), so she gets bright pink hair.  Bubblegum Pink with Carnival Purple shadows and Pure White highlights.  The armor is P3 Quicksilver highlighted with VMC Metallic Medium.  It is really shiny, which is appropriate for a paladin.

DSC04614.JPG   DSC04615.JPG

Edited by fanguad
  • Like 16

It's muggy here, but I painted anyway.  I was about to call the gnome done... but then I realized I forgot to paint her eyebrows.  Grr.  As usual, metallics look much better in person.

post-8582-0-37855300-1400296904.jpg   post-8582-0-66334800-1400296905.jpg

Then I worked on samurai girl for a bit.  She's getting close to completion as well.  Need to finish the green bits, then finishing touches on the figure and the base.  And she needs eyebrows, too.  C&C would be greatly appreciated on her.

post-8582-0-40039800-1400296902_thumb.jpg   post-8582-0-62403800-1400296903_thumb.jpg

ETA: I think I might have done one of those "accidental awesome" things with the base.  The more I look at it, the more I see a story there.  Anyone else think so, or am I just full of myself?

Edited by fanguad
  • Like 16

So I really like samurai girl but there are a number of things that come to mind if you want to improve her.  So don't take this the wrong way.

You have done a brilliant job with highlighting.  This makes the lack of darker shading more noticeable and needed.  The exception is on the metal which is awesome.  The placement of highlights and shadows on the metal is dramatic and cool.  The transitions could use some smoothing though.  The boots need the same smoothing treatment as the metals and I would sharpen up and brighten the highlights to make the boots look shinier and more like patent leather or latex.  Maybe glaze in a subtle hint of blue to the top facing surfaces and a subtle hint of brown on the bottom facing ones to give it a super subtle sky earth effect.  

Her face is brilliant.  once you add the eyebrows then you will really be cooking.

The dark lining is too heavy on her legs and sword.  not much you can do to fix it now.  I suppose it is fine, it just really isn't my taste at all.

Great job overall.  I really like her.

• Like 2

That is all totally accurate.  I punched up the highlights throughout when I did her hair, but didn't darken the shadows.  The darklining was put in after the fact - it definitely needed lining (the dress and skin were too close), but you're right that it's too thick.  I will probably take your suggestion about the shadows, but otherwise I want to get her off the bench.  I appreciate the comments, and will try to incorporate them on the other two samurai girls in the set.

• Like 4

He's turning out great.

I agree with Dontfear's assessment of the samurai girl. Also, eyebrows, it's amazing how off a face can look without them.

You're turning out to be quite the hair aficionado as the gnome's hair looks great. I never want to take my hair up that bright and I think it hurts my pieces.

• Like 2

Lots of things!

I glued the Khador Berserker's arm on and mounted him on his base.  Will put shading on the newly-attached arm, clean up some of the uglier bits of shading (it's not that great overall), and then paint the base when it's dry.

I cleaned and primed some stuff on Thursday.  Reaper Cloak Fiend (thanks for the Secret Sophie, redambrosia!), Darksword Ser Brynden Tully and Reaper 72mm Dana Murphy.

Cloak Fiend got Clouded Sea for his inside, then I did shading and highlighting.  Thoughts on whether I should go darker and/or lighter?  The outside looks like it would be pretty good camouflage, so it's probably done unless someone has suggestions.

post-8582-0-51575800-1400965585_thumb.jpg   post-8582-0-55697400-1400965586_thumb.jpg

Ser Brynden Tully is from the recent GRRM Kickstarter.  He will be replacing Sir Forscale as my character mini in an Eberron campaign.

post-8582-0-74814400-1400965600_thumb.jpg

While I had Tanned Flesh in the airbrush, I did Dana's face.  I plan to enter her into both the Sci-Fi and Giants contests.

Finally, the Wild West Missionary has some progress.  I put some more colors down - I worry he has too much brown though, and/or too many browns.  Also, the crazy pinpoint eyes are on purpose, but I'm not so sure about them... what are people's thoughts?

post-8582-0-73334100-1400965601_thumb.jpg   post-8582-0-82869100-1400965602_thumb.jpg   post-8582-0-14968100-1400965604_thumb.jpg

post-8582-0-01308400-1400965605_thumb.jpg

• Like 15