Newbie working on basic supplies

For removing mold lines from bones you'll want to use Alpha Precision Abrasives Plastic Sanding Needles and tweezers instead of metal files.

Hmm. Wish I had made this thread before I went shopping yesterday. :) So if I got this set of needle files will it ever be useful or should I go and exchange it for the ones you mentioned?

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/needle-file-set-858472/

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It really depends on how you paint. Folks using GW or P3 paints who paint pot-to-mini and don't thin or worry about mixing have little use for a palette. I think I can safely say that the majority of folks on these boards do not paint this way.

Pot-to-figure painting serves a purpose, and it is unfair to say pot painters have little use for palettes. On my workbench I'm painting quantity over quality. Barely thinned paint helps cut down on the number of coats thus increasing the speed. All paint is put on my palette first regardless if it comes from a pot or a dropper.

I didn't say it doesn't serve a purpose.. but you also just defined yourself as NOT the painter in my example. I have a friend who paints exclusively 40k for his gaming hobby, and he cannot fathom why I need a palette for painting. He does everything directly from GW pot to mini, with no mixing or diluting. I'm pretty sure that's what I said, so I'm not sure how I'm being unfair to anyone.

If you're in the DFW area you should head up to Denton and visit the Reaper store on paint night for some hands-on help.

Yeah I wish I had gotten interested before RCON because I would have gone up there for it and checked out a few of the classes. From where I live it is about a 45 min trip out there so I don't do it often and going on the Friday after work to get my Vampire box was not the best time to head out that way either. :)

I will keep it in mind and if I get going on this adventure then I will see what days they do paint night and try to head up there.

And you can try out a welled pallet for a dollar or so from Michael's or Hobby Lobby. The plastic ones work fine and cannot be broken by a cat that steps on it and flips it to the floor.

Just do everything Heisler says and you'll be fine. He taught me everything I know via email, I got hooked immediately and have had a grand time since then. I sincerely hope you find this hobby as fulfilling as I have.

• Like 2

I don't have much to add, except that you shouldn't feel like you need to have everything starting out. It's good to have a few basics, and you can always pick up more as you discover you need it.

• Like 1

Yeah I wish I had gotten interested before RCON because I would have gone up there for it and checked out a few of the classes. From where I live it is about a 45 min trip out there so I don't do it often and going on the Friday after work to get my Vampire box was not the best time to head out that way either. :)

I will keep it in mind and if I get going on this adventure then I will see what days they do paint night and try to head up there.

Note everyone who doesn't live 45 minutes from Reaper wants to kick you right now. :ph34r:

• Like 6

I would also suggest getting some poster tac which costs about $4-$5 at any office supply store and an empty perscription bottle to mount your mini on. It makes it alot easier to hold while painting and you dont have to worry about rubbing paint off while handling your mini.

• Like 2

It is almost an hour's drive to get from my house well inside a major city to the only game shop in the entire metropolitan area.

If we lived 45 minutes from Reaper you can bet we would be out there a couple of times a season.

Well I have about 2 other shops that are like 5 min away but they are a little limited on Reaper products.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. Once I have my L2PK1 and can give it a go I am sure I will be hooked. Just looking over my Bones and metal minis I have had is making me itch a bit to paint them up. :)

Definitely check out paint club in Denton on Saturday afternoon from noon to four. It may be a 45 minute drive (the same for me) but it is definitely worth it and a good time is usually had by all.

Wish I was close enough to do this! Be cool if I could find one near where I live. Or find a better painter to paint besides and gather information from.

I'm trying to get the local store to do paint days. He backed the Kick starter and will be getting his retailer Bones at some point. Trying to convince him that it would be a good marketing move to do this.

• Like 1