How much do you think your skills are worth per hour?

scorpio616

You are the first Newfie I have ever heard vow to not come back. They always go back. Still, come out to Alberta. You would fit in with my group just fine, well other then that fact you seem to stubbornly refuse to go past AD&D 2e

Best of luck finding that girl though. I thought I had one once, but she turned out to be an incompatible form of nuts towards my type of crazy

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason most people come back is the same reason I never left: the place was awesome. But it was awesome because everybody was on the same level - and that level was mostly lower middle class and below. But now that oil revenue has had time to trickle through, money is everywhere. And, as it turns out, most of us were actually pretty horrible people all along. We just never had the money to give life to it.

It wasn't "away". It was here. Because the absolute minute we got our mitts on real money (the per capita income here now is like $80,000) we all turned into idiots. Now cocaine (not crack, but cocaine) is the most traded drug. People are getting their houses shot at by assault rifles in good neighbourhoods (they shot up the wrong house, by the way, proving even in crime they still do it the Newfie way). Cars are stolen left and right, and either torched or straight-up firebombed in the driveway.

When I moved to where I live now, it was awesome. Everybody knew everybody. Kids played in each other's yards, we had communal barbecues, it was nice. Now the neighbours to one side of me got raided for a drug and prostitution ring and a week after that the guy on the other side had himself an armed standoff with the police.

And if all that wasn't enough, I heard a knock on the door a couple of days back at 1 am and when I answered there was this sketchy lookin dude demanding to know where Justin was. I said I didn't know any Justin (true) and he certainly didn't live here, and dude left. I guess he found him, because within ten minutes I heard gunshots.

So, no. This place isn't what it used to be. And it's way too small, and way too concentrated to absorb all this. Within 5 years the whole place is going to look like 80's Compton. So I'm getting out. I don't know where to yet, but I'm getting out. And this place can kiss my goblin butt because after years of talking about "mainlanders" it turned out we weren't any better.

Maybe even significantly worse.

The reason most people come back is the same reason I never left: the place was awesome. But it was awesome because everybody was on the same level - and that level was mostly lower middle class and below. But now that oil revenue has had time to trickle through, money is everywhere. And, as it turns out, most of us were actually pretty horrible people all along. We just never had the money to give life to it.

It wasn't "away". It was here. Because the absolute minute we got our mitts on real money (the per capita income here now is like $80,000) we all turned into idiots. Now cocaine (not crack, but cocaine) is the most traded drug. People are getting their houses shot at by assault rifles in good neighbourhoods (they shot up the wrong house, by the way, proving even in crime they still do it the Newfie way). Cars are stolen left and right, and either torched or straight-up firebombed in the driveway.

When I moved to where I live now, it was awesome. Everybody knew everybody. Kids played in each other's yards, we had communal barbecues, it was nice. Now the neighbours to one side of me got raided for a drug and prostitution ring and a week after that the guy on the other side had himself an armed standoff with the police.

And if all that wasn't enough, I heard a knock on the door a couple of days back at 1 am and when I answered there was this sketchy lookin dude demanding to know where Justin was. I said I didn't know any Justin (true) and he certainly didn't live here, and dude left. I guess he found him, because within ten minutes I heard gunshots.

So, no. This place isn't what it used to be. And it's way too small, and way too concentrated to absorb all this. Within 5 years the whole place is going to look like 80's Compton. So I'm getting out. I don't know where to yet, but I'm getting out. And this place can kiss my goblin butt because after years of talking about "mainlanders" it turned out we weren't any better.

Maybe even significantly worse.

Oh geez, yikes, I'm sorry.

This thread is making me feel like people are talking about me when I'm not around.

(my hooman name is Sheldon, some people know this already)

Also, I've never been tested but there's no doubt I'm crazy. Legitimately. I just have the overwhelming good fortune to be afflicted with a non-dangerous form of crazy that seems to amuse people. Or embarass them, which goes a long way towards explaining my perpetual singlehood.

But I retain a vigilant, optimistic hope that one day I might meet a girl afflicted with the same brand of madness, one who has thrown off the yoke of shyness and embraced the full, blossoming whoop-whoop-froop-ree-doop of her curious, oblique sensibility and declared with emphatic determination: No! I shall not conform and attempt to blend in with the norms!

By our powers combined, we'll be unstoppable. We'll drive from place to place like a mirror universe Bonnie & Clyde, spreading mad joy to every corner of creation with an effervescent upsurge the likes of which mankind has never known since first Mentos was added to Coke.

I have a dream.

Just so you know, you're basically the male version of my wife. Sure there are differences, you're obsessed with minis and she's obsessed with travel, but ya there are a lot of similarities.

This thread is making me feel like people are talking about me when I'm not around.

(my hooman name is Sheldon, some people know this already)

Also, I've never been tested but there's no doubt I'm crazy. Legitimately. I just have the overwhelming good fortune to be afflicted with a non-dangerous form of crazy that seems to amuse people. Or embarass them, which goes a long way towards explaining my perpetual singlehood.

But I retain a vigilant, optimistic hope that one day I might meet a girl afflicted with the same brand of madness, one who has thrown off the yoke of shyness and embraced the full, blossoming whoop-whoop-froop-ree-doop of her curious, oblique sensibility and declared with emphatic determination: No! I shall not conform and attempt to blend in with the norms!

By our powers combined, we'll be unstoppable. We'll drive from place to place like a mirror universe Bonnie & Clyde, spreading mad joy to every corner of creation with an effervescent upsurge the likes of which mankind has never known since first Mentos was added to Coke.

I have a dream.

Just so you know, you're basically the male version of my wife. Sure there are differences, you're obsessed with minis and she's obsessed with travel, but ya there are a lot of similarities.

I recommend that you don't tell her she resembles an internet goblin.

• Like 3

Nova Scotia maybe? Or PEI. Everyone knows everyone on PEI. Hell, from the high point, everyone can see everyone on PEI

PEI has a high point?? Oh, you must mean the bridge :)

Come to Nova Scotia. We can play Robotech! And we've got room for one more at the table for D&D on Monday nights too :)

Mind you we haven't played 2nd Ed. in a long time....but I'm pretty sure we all still have the books!

If I put sexy before those two words she'll be fine.

Wait . . . are you saying you think I'm sexy?

Mind you we haven't played 2nd Ed. in a long time....but I'm pretty sure we all still have the books!

Truthfully at this point we've created so many modified house rules we're playing Unique Edition AD&D. Basic combat and the NPC reaction checks are about all that's left of the 2nd Ed. rules. I had to strip out 50% of what's in the books just to get a workable story-heavy game (as opposed to a free-form adventure game). I think the only reason we even use 2nd as a base is just the inertia of those being the books we have to hand in abundance. But at best they're only "suggested serving" loose guidelines.

This will be the last D&D campaign I plan to run. If there's anything to come after this with me in charge, it'll be a Chronoscope RPG. I've been fiddling with that idea for some time, because a multidimensional time-travel adventure game with a splash of pulp and a lot of cheese totally rocks my brainpan.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 4

This will be the last D&D campaign I plan to run. If there's anything to come after this with me in charge, it'll be a Chronoscope RPG. I've been fiddling with that idea for some time, because a multidimensional time-travel adventure game with a splash of pulp and a lot of cheese totally rocks my brainpan.

That sounds awesome....

Yeah, I mean can you imagine? Sister Maria the Nun, Sgt. Mack Torrey, Dita the Steampunk Witch, Socrates, and Jeeves the Clockwork Robot as a time/world-spanning adventurer team working to undo the evil machinations of Doctor Totenkranz and his evil allies, the Andromedan Greys.

Run as a plot without a plot storycentric game by a mad goblin. I ought to sell tickets or somethin.

• Like 4