Show Off Your First Mini!

CashWiley

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Augh don;t laugh, I'm sure most of you remember my attempt to paint one of my World of Warcraft Priest miniatures ( at the end of last year..?)

wowpriest05.jpg

The biggest problem I had is that I hasn't heard that you must thin your paints. I was slapping it on layer after layer, trying to blend thick paint straight onto the mini.
In painting class at Art School I was told to never thin my paints too much (without using a proper medium to do so) because the pigments would break down and your work would end up looking scratchy and dull. However, miniature paints are designed to be broken down with water or a medium and painted on very thinly, layer after layer without fear of your work looking crappy and your pigments breaking down to nothing.

Lesson learned! This figure is still sitting on my shelf, may strip her in the future and try and to paint her again but right now she serves as a good reminder of where I started.

• Like 13

So I finally found my HQ copy, and I'm 95% sure this is the first one I painted from it (youthful bravado and such, you always paint the biggest ones first).

Thus I present the very first mini I ever took a brush to. Kinda nostalgic, but also great fun, thanks for making the thread :P

attachicon.gifnr 1.jpg

I think this guy was one of my first pieces too ... idk if he is still around.. i will check the shelves later. Wait oh good gods it happened......

My first minis were from the AD&D Battlesystem boxed set. The set was mostly full of counters but the leaders of each force got an actual metal mini. There was a fighter in chain holding a trident and a cool cleric with bird faced mask and a mace. I don't have them anymore but they were painted with testors enamel paints (terribly).

• Like 1

My first 3 minis, a trio of Citadel halflings, not sure which one was the very first one. Painted with Testors enamel paints back in 1987-1988. The base treatment is much more recent, done as a test.

Here they are in all their "glory"

post-4115-0-17032600-1371072829_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

This figure is still sitting on my shelf, may strip her in the future and try and to paint her again but right now she serves as a good reminder of where I started.

Don't do it! That's a really cool paint job.

I concur. I had considered stripping and repainting Hilde, but have decided to keep her as is to remind me of how far I've come (and that I never used Testors enamels hahahaha).

• Like 1

I finally remembered to pull mine off my shelf and get it somewhere to take pics.

Here is the first mini I ever painted.

post-8239-0-90418000-1371122800.jpg

I think he's some sort of a Chaos Space Marine Non-Atmospheric Shipboard Soldier. I painted him at my FLGS when I popped in to play some CCG or another sometime in the late 90s and the owner was doing some painting. In a brilliant move, that likely kept his store in the black for the next number of years, he said, "Here, give it a try. Paint this." An hour or so later (surely it didn't take longer than an hour....) I'm pretty sure I bought a 40k starter box to practice on and ordered my Blood Bowl team.

Speaking of which, here are the second figures I painted, and the first after I'd looked at some GW painting books.

post-8239-0-97378300-1371122799_thumb.jpg

These were normal GW Minotaurs (or Chaos Minotaurs or some such). They didn't have at the time (or he couldn't get) BB Minotaurs for the Chaos Dwarf BB team, so I picked up these two and lopped off their weapons.

I see even from this early on I'd already started painting monsters' eyes blood red....

• Like 10

Augh don;t laugh, I'm sure most of you remember my attempt to paint one of my World of Warcraft Priest miniatures ( at the end of last year..?)

wowpriest05.jpg

The biggest problem I had is that I hasn't heard that you must thin your paints. I was slapping it on layer after layer, trying to blend thick paint straight onto the mini.

In painting class at Art School I was told to never thin my paints too much (without using a proper medium to do so) because the pigments would break down and your work would end up looking scratchy and dull. However, miniature paints are designed to be broken down with water or a medium and painted on very thinly, layer after layer without fear of your work looking crappy and your pigments breaking down to nothing.

Lesson learned! This figure is still sitting on my shelf, may strip her in the future and try and to paint her again but right now she serves as a good reminder of where I started.

i have been painting minis on and off for 30 years and just started to thin my paints a few months ago

• Like 2