Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Having recently joined the airbrush crowd, I'm discovering how much i love blasting paint through it. Saving so so so so much time on my zenithal priming groups of minis.
Now that I've got the priming and ink through it, I'm curious about another medium going through - varnish.
I own satin and gloss varnish from liquitex. I've used them as brush on, which isn't my favorite. I want to know:
1. Has anyone used this in an airbrush?
2. If yes, how did you thin it? Did you use airbrush thinner or something else?
3. Does it require different means to clean after using?
I'm super paranoid about clogging or ruining this new tool of mine. I found out Stynylrez primer wasn't just pour in and go. Made for a fun clean up with my first go at priming.
There's a ton of stuff I'm seeing on testors dullcote from the bottle and mixing it with their thinner, but I'm hoping to use what i have if it's possible.
I'm not asking what you use as much as I'm seeking specifically "has anyone used liquitex varnish in their airbrush? "
And... any pictures of your results?
So just a random question, or comment:
I have a brush that I always use for sealing my miniatures and thought I at least rinsed it out reasonably well or cleaned it out. Apparently not. Last week when before I used it, I actually took an exacto knife to the brush and started scraping old sealant off bristles, until it was actually much cleaner than it as previously. Has anybody else ever done this?
The goal is to make a miniature's shield look almost like a cracked crystal portal (to a galaxy). My thought to achieve this is to create an illusion of depth with an underpainting, MANY layers of varnish, and even small touches of paint between layers. Being a mini, there won't be too much bulk, but I wondered if anyone had any experience with a project like this and could offer any pointers. Would this idea work?
I'm planning to test some different ways of varnishing Bones, since there is some confusion and some materials seem to dry sticky, or turn sticky after some time.
This is going to be a long-term experiment because of the aforementioned change over time.
I have a dozen rats and five mummies from the first two Bones Kickstarters which I have painted up in colors known for their shininess (the blacks and reds on the rats) and their matte qualities (the grey bases and the linen color on the mummies).
These are super quick paints, just there to test the results.
Once they are fully cured I plan to number them under their bases and experiment with different combinations of matte and gloss finish, including at least one unvarnished of each type.
I plan to report back after some time has passed.
Who's Online 10 Members, 0 Anonymous, 39 Guests (See full list)