Sign in to follow this  
catdancer

Tools I use...reply to prophetic_joe...for fantasy terrain work...

post-11942-0-44779400-1370042066_thumb.jpg

Reply to prophetic_joe. Pictured are the standard tools that I use to do all my fantasy terrain & building work(s). As you can see; I use nothing elaborate and/or uncommon. I am sure there are modelers out there who have 2 or 3 times more tools and others who may use fewer tools. As I said...use what you are comfortable with and don't try to pattern your needs on what some other modeler uses. NOT PICTURED ARE MY (white glue & hot stuff). I hope that this common sense advice is helpful to you.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Madog Barfog
      A long time ago (years, actually), those of us who didn't want to spend large sums on Ott lights used "natural" bulbs made by General Electric. These were bluish, incandescent, 60 watt bulbs that gave a more sunlike color spectrum than regular house bulbs.

Technology has moved on and I'm looking for modern replacements. The incandescents get pretty warm, hot enough to deform the plastic on another lamp I use, and my new painting room gets pretty hot when my fiancé and I have 2 illuminated magnifying lamps going, plus a laptop, three dogs that hangout, an upstairs room, etc. I'd like to buy a pair of LED bulbs (or CF, if that's the only option) with the same light characteristics.

However, searches of my local hardware store, Meijer, plus Amazon and even a general Google search have turned up nothing. I used to buy these at the local Home Depot, and I'm a bit concerned that LEDs can't do what tungsten filaments did in regards to spectrum. I am looking for a "standard" size of bulb and base, just like the old incandescent house lights I bought for decades before CF became a thing and then were replaced by LEDs running on house current.

What is considered the replacement for these old bulbs? What do people use today, and where can I buy some?
    • By Mirya
      Hi all! I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for fixing the fishhook tip that develops on brushes after awhile. Is it even possible? I tried brush shaper with no success (although it's possible/likely there's a technique I don't know about that would make the brush shaper work better) I'd love to replace my brushes less frequently, and salvage some I already have :-)
    • By SparrowMarie
      I'm going to be starting a blog series call Tools of the Trade. It's mostly going to go in depth into the tools used but will probably include a few tutorials. If you were reading something like this what kind of topics might you want to see? I'm taking all suggestions currently. This will mainly be aimed at novice painters but could be of good use to others as well, I think
    • By Gargs
      So, I'm finally thinking it may be time to break down and purchase a Dremel (or similar tool). However, I have no idea what to look for in such a tool and was hoping that some of you could help me out. I'm not likely to be using the heck out of the thing by any means. My main intended uses for it are going to likely be to help with mold lines (I've found that with the metal figs I still have trouble getting rid of some mold lines with my files and I'm hesitant to use the X-Acto knife for a couple of reasons. I may also occasionally use it for drilling pin holes on particularly stubborn pieces (my pin vice sometimes gets cranky with me making pinning a chore a lot of the time). Finally, I can see me occasionally using it to make mods/conversions to minis. Nothing really spectacular at this point, but possibly things like turning a creature into a zombie variant by drilling out some of the skin and then molding in some flesh with green stuff, etc. 

Obviously as time goes on I might expand a bit, but for now, not looking for anything too fancy (or at least I don't think I am). I don't mind spending money to get a good product, but also don't feel the need to spend (for example) $150 when a $50 version would do just as nicely. 

As always, thanks in advance for any help!
    • By wdmartin
      I've got a couple of pewter minis I want to rebase, and the clippers I've been using in the past are probably not going to do the trick.  One has a a long sweeping dress that covers almost the full base she's on, and the other has great big gallumphing feet that kind of sink into the terrain.  So I've been thinking of trying a jewellery saw.  Any recommendations?  I'm not sure what to look for in one of those, but I hear the blades vary in quality quite a bit.
  • Who's Online   22 Members, 2 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)