Sign in to follow this  
galladril

Galladril's Garrison

Cash, I hope I gave him justice in your eyes - I really respect your work, and he has been waiting way too long to get painted.

Yeah, he's perfect! Straight out of the Monster Manual, terrifying adventurers everywhere with his darn regeneration.

More pics coming soon.

Barkeep and barmaid are COMPLETED, I got some more work done on my crypt, but I have also been doing alot of behind the scenes stuff for my D&D game (I'm running my players through the Slavers series....) so my time painting has been slightly split.

So, just because I haven't been updating doesn't mean I haven't been painting...I just haven't been doing as MUCH.

Simply put, way too many moving parts in my life that are in process of spinning....and now I'm backing Bones 2, and should have ~540 pieces coming from Dwarven Forge soon that I need to paint.

Yes, you will see updates on that, as it will become my painting priority, and I don't expect those to take NEARLY as long as a miniature.

So...barmaid, completed.

cqgm.jpg

7cz2.jpg

There is a very small bit of shading on her apron, you can see it better on the back tie than you can on the front - working with whites isn't easy, but for tabletop, I have no problems with the way she turned out.

Top view of her and the barkeep:

mxda.jpg

I'm really glad that I chose to make those wooden bases. I think they just help to add to their details a little bit.

Then, I started to work on Dar Dimplefoot, which is the mini being used by one of the PC's in my game, so I wanted to try to give him a little more attention.

37ft.jpg

lzyj.jpg

s9f3.jpg

I don't think he looks amazing, but I don't think he looks like **** either. I was working with a lot of different mixes for his cloak, messing around with a bunch of different mediums (inks, washes, matte medium added to the paint, etc.) and I think my shading was too similar to what the previous color was, so the detail doesn't stand out as much as I really wanted, but, another learning experience, for sure.

The greens, also, were from the first Reaper Triad I ever really used, so there was a very slight learning curve with them.

Need to get his flocking and stones for the base done, and see if I can touch up that "water mark" on his left shoulder (on the brown cloak, 3rd pic) but after that, I think he is done.

Coming up next: Dwarven Forge....as soon as my boxes get here, anyway....

• Like 9

Dear God...What the **** was I thinking????? What the **** did I do????

540~ pieces doesn't SEEM like a lot...until you have it right in front of you....

qeif.jpg

uiiu.jpg

i8jc.jpg

j8bo.jpg

9s3q.jpg

6jwu.jpg

Edited by galladril
  • Like 9

That's an inspiring amount of dungeon tiles. Wish I could have gotten in on that one, but I was in the middle of a trip, followed by a layoff... so had to miss out on it.

Sorry to hear that, Star...hopefully things are looking up for you and you can get in on the next one...

So, I got lucky, and managed to get exactly 30 minutes of time in to paint last night, so the journey has started.

I am planning on doing these in a pseudo assembly-line fashion, so you might just be seeing grey for a while...but then again, I want to have some finished pieces, so I may take one or 2 sets, and complete them first....we all know how painting goes.

sjq.JPG

You can BARELY see it, in this picture, but I laid down a long strip of wax paper on the right side of my workbench to put pieces down, just so I wasn't slopping paint all over.

n41n.jpg

ckue.jpg

dye0.jpg

Yes, for this project I am using latex gloves. I paint with my right hand, and hold with my left, and simply because you are spinning these around, and need to try to get every surface, instead of putting them on a painting base with putty, I figured it would just be easier to do it this way, and so far, it's working well. I just wanted to comment because I don't want anyone to think there is something toxic with these paints, or something.

f728.jpg

"Pretty Maids All In a Row"

7bc6.jpg

Admittedly, not a whole lot to see here, with just one color being applied, but you really can see the difference 1 coat makes.

For the paint itself, it seems to be a little more fluid than Reaper, and WAY more than Vallejo. I have to admit, it was nice to just go on autopilot for a little while, and not need to mess around with color mixing. It really does seem to stick well to the piece as is, without any pre-priming. I guess I would compare it to the brush on primer from Vallejo. It really is good paint though - very consistant coloring throughout, and coats well. I am waiting until tonight to talk about "tackiness," but I don't expect there to be any.

The brushes themselves aren't Kolinsky Sables, but they aren't the Tester's black plastic bristles mounted into a white plastic handle, either. I like them. After drybrushing all of those pieces, the hairs did not stick out at all, and there was no signs of "bristle damage."

Fair warning to anyone who got a brush set: When I removed the drybrush from its protector, the bristles seemed VERY stiff, almost like there was glue (or I would guess, brush conditioner) in them. I just ran mine through some water, and they began to function as expected.

More to come as the journey progresses...tomorrow will be a good day.

• Like 5

So, it's been an interesting weekend, to say the least.

I am officially a backer of Bones 2, spending a total of $327.00. Based upon what I saw from some of the comments so far, I really think I got off light...Watching the countdown was pretty fun.

So, first, a comment about the Pokorny Arts Brushes and Paints:

They both really seem to be holding up well, especially the drybrush. I have been beating that thing up, with 3 separate drybrush steps, per piece, and at the end of the night, with cleaning, I can always get it to resume its point, which is pretty cool. There HAVE been 3 hairs that have come off of it, but honestly, especially with a drybrush taking that much abuse, I am not surprised, or concerned.

The paint is good. It covers very well against an unprimed Game Tile, usually in one stroke, I'm still getting used to it's inherant "thinness" though. No tackiness to speak of on the completed tiles.

Onto painting: This will be an image intensive post, however, I am not going to continue reposting "the same thing" every single time. I would want to die of boredom. Rather, I think I'll just do text updates on progression.

So, I had the tiles basecoated in grey, and it was time to move onto individual stone painting. This took up the majority of my Friday evening, and a good few hours on Saturday. I somehow managed to delete the pictures I had of rows and rows and grey and brown tiles. **EDIT: Pictures are now included - I found them** I also realized what was taking me so long: I was painting WAY too many stones brown. I was doing, on average, 12 brown stones per side. x2 sides - 24 brown stones per piece.

Even moving quickly, say 10 seconds per stone, thats 240 seconds, or 4 minutes, per piece, and I know that I wasn't moving that fast. Lesson learned, and I'm glad I realized it a little earlier in the game, rather than after I painted up every set.

yx3k.jpg

ijet.jpg

After reviewing some pictures of the "expertly painted" sets, I realized there are only about 6 stones on each side that are painted. Less brown, less work, from here on out, on every piece I paint.

So, after you paint individual stones, you drybrush with "Olive Drybrush," and then a final drybrush of "Stone Edge." You can see the progression here:

adk6.jpg

What was interesting to me is that the Olive Drybrush almost completely vanishes once you do the stone edge. Once the piece is complete, there are VERY small spots of it, and it just leads to a decent looking terrain piece, with a small hint of greenish/brown here, a small dab of it there. It really helps to lend itself to each being unique, while remaining "uniform" to the rest of the set.

There is a part of me that wants to dabble with skipping this step, just to see what would happen, but my initial thoughts are that the piece would be darker, in general.

My first "completed" piece.

xm45.jpg

dbpi.jpg

That "stone edge," even when you are using it in very dry, very small amounts, pops ALMOST to the point where I don't like it. Its not WHITE, its more of a "cream," but MAN it brightens things up. I guess I just wasn't expecting that much of a jump in color.

With 2 out of 5 sets down, I began to focus my attention on the Stair and Floor Pack, and, per my lesson learned before, stopped painting so much brown. There is a part of me that wants to go back and paint over some of those brown tiles, but I think that will need to wait a while.

3i9q.jpg

05yd.jpg

These are some of my favorite shots. I actually managed to get the lighting right somehow, and you can really see the true colors and detail.

99cu.jpg

kfh9.jpg

g8ul.jpg

sez7.jpg

After all that, It dawned on me that while people who had their sets were already taking them out and building stuff with them, I hadn't actually "set up" anything yet.

So, I did just that. (a few of the floor tiles had not yet been drybrushed white at this point, to explain for the color variance.)

upkn.jpg

So, you can see, even in close up detail, they don't look bad at all. Definately tabletop quality...which is really all I am looking for.

With being able to effectively half my time from this point forward in painting the brown stones, I expect to have all 5 sets, all stretch goals, and all 8 addon packs finished in a few weeks.

And then...watch out, players....especially in a year when I get my "Not-Tarrasque...." :D

In short, it will take me a while, but I'm a pretty happy backer, and when it is all finished, I will take a few pictures of an actual setup. I may have bitten off SLIGHTLY more than I could chew with this project, but there is a sense of pride in knowing that I am getting up the mountain, a step at a time. :)

To Be Continued....One Paint Stroke at a Time...

Edited by galladril
  • Like 8

Basecoat of Curved and Diagonal Walls done. I wanted to get this out of the way so I could work on the stones this coming weekend, and I know it's probably hard to see, but I have the wooden door within the stair coated in Vallejo, for tackiness testing - should be able to give a report when I get home.

18o3.jpg

In other news, there goes another $100.00 - got paid today, and wanted to get some Bones, just so I could mess with them before the B2 KS shipment came in...and because I need to paint something other than "personalities." I've been fixing to paint some giants for a while, now, and seeing all the Bones Painting Threads finally broke me.

Yeah, this thread isn't dying anytime soon...

Cheers, All!

Edited by galladril
  • Like 4

Thank you for posting about the Dwarven Forge Game Tiles.

I received mine a week ago, and unpacked them in a huge pile on my coffee table.

Seeing your efforts; which are fantastsic by the way !

I think I will just leave my five sets as they are, and concentrate on painting my Bones Mini's,

and I look forward to the next release, and become overwhelmed with miniatures AGAIN.

Thanks for the comment, Jasonator - much appreciated.

There is a **SMALL** part of me that wants to leave one of the sets in the charcoal, just to have variance, but I'm still tossing that idea back and forth, and I know I have some time before I need to decide.

Curved Corner and Diagonal Walls Add On Packs completed.

8pvw.jpg

xf0m.jpg

Overall Progress :

2/5 Sets completed with the exception of 4 doors, 1 Set Basecoated

1/5 Stretch Goal Boxes Basecoated

4/8 Add on Packs Completed

Slowly but surely, I'm getting there.

Edited by galladril
  • Like 4

Very nice. I keep thinking i will not paint mine ubtil my son is a few years older (he likes to play with them and they look pretty good as is). But then i see all you guys painting them up so nice and am waffling on changing my mind...maybe i will just paint the upainted chamber of sorrows...yeah just that little bit! Lol

• Like 1

Thanks, Krule. The CoS is actually the set I plan on holding off on until the VERY end : people are still discussing how to get the paint job "correct" to what was sold on the KS, and until I see a scheme I really am in love with, that one will remain in the box for a little bit.

I understand. I was tempted to get the painted version, but my cheap side won out (for once)

I forked it over for painted sets (only two). I'm glad I did although sometimes I have second doubts that my dollar could have strectched further on more pieces.. que sera sera...

• Like 2