My Daughter's First Miniature - Pic Heavy

Talae

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

She painted another one today. I didn't take any pictures during the process this time...I chose to bust out with the camcorder instead.

She painted another Unicorn, but went with Sun Yellow as the color choice instead.

Nap time gave me some time to snap a few pics of the finished product. Also, I guess that I did get one picture of her starting the paint job.

You can see her using Apple Jack as inspiration and then both minis with the supplies used.

post-8303-0-95896400-1370815835_thumb.jpg

post-8303-0-72332400-1370815838_thumb.jpg

post-8303-0-74851400-1370815841_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Wow. Nice work. I am having a hard time explaining to my daughter that slapping a big glop of pain on one part of her animal is not a good thing. :) We did pick up a pack of nice sized jungle animals today and she painted a few weird colors and wants to now go and paint them the original colors.

Oh and I learned that trying to paint a mini with her at the same table is just not going to work out. My old eyes have a hard enough time focusing on the detailed areas and with her pushing the table or running over to me and bumping my arm...well...I yielded pretty quick.

I am going to show her the yellow unicorn since she loved the one that looked like chocolate.

I thinned her paint about 40/60 with distilled water/paint.

I have not tried to do anything but hover over her while she is painting. There are too many things that could go wrong. I figure that we might be able to pull that off soon enough. For now, I will continue to paint when she is asleep or otherwise preoccupied.

I might see if next week I can convince her to go with a different miniature...or maybe even try and go with a second color on one of these.

I can recommend the bones spider - my 6 year old did a bang-up job on that one.

She's ordinarily the typical girly-girl who shrieks "Daddy there's a buuuuuug!" at the top of her lungs, but for the spider she ignored her usual blush pink and instead went with a walnut brown body and red eyes. Surprised me.

Then she hid it in the silverware drawer for her mother to find.

Kids are awesome.

• Like 4

My daughter is a girly-girl half of the time. She loves to play dress up and her favorite show is My Little Pony. She also loves our pet Ball Python and likes to play with bugs...as long as it doesn't mean she has to get dirty. I will probably try out the spider with her next if she doesn't want to add a second color to one of the current ones.

On a side note, are there cheap decals out there that I could use as MLP cutie marks? Are mini decals specially made or can I just use one of her stickers out of a sticker book? I think she might want to add one, but freehand isn't exactly going to happen yet...

We did another painting session today. We talked it up yesterday and she was all amped to paint a spider, but when it came to it today, she wanted to fix her other "ponies" and paint a pink one. Who am I to resist.

Her brown and yellow ponies saw some play before I had a chance to clear coate/dull cote them and therefore had paint chip off and paint transfer happen (not too bad considering that she is not even three and plays hard...okay she was banging them together repeatedly as she galloped around her play area).

This is before the touch-ups:

post-8303-0-07066500-1371924440_thumb.jpg post-8303-0-15055600-1371924443_thumb.jpg

This is during the yellow touch-up:

post-8303-0-04903500-1371924497_thumb.jpg

This is during the brown touch-up:

post-8303-0-72247900-1371924560_thumb.jpg

I don't have a pink so I mixed up Clear Red and Pearl White with some distilled water (3:5:3):

post-8303-0-58130200-1371924668_thumb.jpg

This gave a nice shine to the paint:

post-8303-0-59129900-1371924715_thumb.jpgpost-8303-0-64220900-1371924718_thumb.jpgpost-8303-0-17012700-1371924721_thumb.jpg

All together (with her inspiration pony and princess wand in the background):

post-8303-0-00248300-1371924749_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

My seven-year-old daughter recently started painting miniatures and really enjoys it. I bought her a couple of Bones miniatures and her own set of brushes and she loves being able to spend time painting with me. It's so great to be able to share our hobby with our children.

She just came in to ask if she could paint the troll now. I don't want to burn her out so I will stall for at least a few days until we start the next paint job, but I am glad she enjoyed it enough to come and ask for more.

This is very cool.

I bought some discount plaster figs in Walmart of all places in case the neices or nephews want to give inting a try (i do not think my five month old is ready yet). Worth looking into for a couple bucks a carton. They come in a carton with like nine different figures and are a couple inches tall and have a cartoony desighn to them that should be easier for leaning.

I have to admit I'm insanely jealous of the coverage she got with that yellow.

I have no chilluns, and I expect it to remain that way even if I find a Mrs. Buglips. But most of my friends are producing offspring so it's my intention to introduce them to paintslinging the very second I get a chance.

• Like 1

Some people can't stand their kids growing up. I can't wait until my teeny tiny one gets old enough so I can pester her to play board games and paint with me.

Good on you for starting early, and thanks for letting me know it's possible even this early on. Just one year to go! :P