Doctor Who stand-ins

Pingo

I'm a long-time fan of Doctor Who, and have had a number of the roleplaying games over the years.

The problem has been finding figures for it. Not necessarily exact figures, since that's tricky. But close enough.

I gather that Black Tree Design has the rights to market Doctor Who figures from before the reboot, so all of them up to Dr. #8, Paul McGann. They also sell companions, friends, enemies, monsters, and the TARDIS.

It sounds good ... except ...

First off, the sculpts are kind of so-so, much of the time. Their TARDIS looks a tad wobbly. It's a little hard to tell because the site only has small, low-resolution pictures of their figures.

I've also heard poor reports of their customer service and reliability. If anyone with actual experience with them could weigh in I'd be most appreciative.

As far as I know no one is making official 28mm miniatures for the newer Doctor Who series. I wish they would. I hear that issues of the tie-in fan magazines in the UK sometimes come with premiums like little armies of plastic Daleks, but I'm not sure how easy such things would be to find on this side of the Atlantic.

There are some people making close-enough figures and props. For the TARDIS, model railroad supplier Hornby makes a police box. Hasslefree sells a historic model in resin, as does Fenris Games. You have to paint the fiddly bits on them yourself. Or get these decals from Company B miniatures (scroll down the page to see them), which fit the Fenris model, and possibly the Hasslefree one as well.

Heresy Miniatures has a group of figures which are very close to the newer Doctors and a few companions here. Between these and Black Tree Design one can have reasonable figures for all of the Doctors and most of their major companions (but not Rose, Mickey, Martha Jones, Captain Jack, Donna Noble, or Clara, or any of the New Who monsters).

Of course no one has minis for the really unmistakeable trademarked characters, which is fine by me. I wouldn't want pirated minis, and not-quite Daleks sound really silly.

But I am interested to know who is marketing minis that are pretty close to the spirit of Doctor Who characters and monsters. And if there is any word on getting better sculpts for the classic ones.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as Black Tree, I have ordered from them 3 times. Once was horrible, took 3 months and numerous phopne calls to get the stuff, and the other 2 times were no problem. I think part of it is that they cast the stuff in England, and then ship it to the guy in TX to send out. If they have it in stock in TX already, it seems to go pretty smooth. I have nothing to back that up other than research I have done among rumors.

Edited by sethohman
  • Like 1

Good timing on the Crooked Dice Dr. Who mention. They have a deal of the month on with six minis for £15. They also have a set with Jenny, Strax and Madame Vastra. And yes, I am now out $50 for both sets. Thanks. ::):

• Like 1

The Heresy ones actually look decent and they've been making them for years, since at least 2009 or more and they've kept up to date, as far as some doctors and guys go, you might be able to request if they're doing the other companions. Wouldn't surprise me if they fill out the line.

As far as I know no one is making official 28mm miniatures for the newer Doctor Who series. I wish they would. I hear that issues of the tie-in fan magazines in the UK sometimes come with premiums like little armies of plastic Daleks, but I'm not sure how easy such things would be to find on this side of the Atlantic....

Of course no one has minis for the really unmistakeable trademarked characters, which is fine by me. I wouldn't want pirated minis, and not-quite Daleks sound really silly.

Okay, so I don't know about the magazine Daleks that you mentioned, but there is a company doing an official line of Dr.Who snap together figures. They are slightly larger and more toyish than the minis most of us here collect, but I find that their Daleks, which measure about 45mm are about the same height as a standard human Reaper mini on a base.

http://www.characterbuilding.eu/dr-who/micro-figures/

For being a snap together toy, to my eye the Daleks actually look pretty good and certainly usable on the gaming Table. Especially if you decide to Pingo-Paint 'em.

I've slowly been collecting a small force to use with my NOVA, IMEF, Sedition Wars, and Deadzone mini's. They're not super detailed... But then Daleks in general aren't anyway.

Good news is, they're $2.99 here in Canada and available at my local Comic shop.

Bad news is, they're packed in mystery pouches so you can't see what mini you're actually getting.

Good news is, if your shop has them displayed on a shelf, like mine has, you can pick and choose which pouch you want, and the Daleks are noticeably thicker than the other mini's. So if there are Daleks in any of the pouches, you should be able to suss them out pretty quickly.

Of course since you're a fan of the show, you might want to start a collection of them all anyway.

::):

• Like 1

As far as I know no one is making official 28mm miniatures for the newer Doctor Who series. I wish they would. I hear that issues of the tie-in fan magazines in the UK sometimes come with premiums like little armies of plastic Daleks, but I'm not sure how easy such things would be to find on this side of the Atlantic....

Okay, so I don't know about the magazine Daleks that you mentioned, but there is a company doing an official line of Dr.Who snap together figures. They are slightly larger and more toyish than the minis most of us here collect, but I find that their Daleks, which measure about 45mm are about the same height as a standard human Reaper mini on a base.http://www.characterbuilding.eu/dr-who/micro-figures/

For being a snap together toy, to my eye the Daleks actually look pretty good and certainly usable on the gaming Table. Especially if you decide to Pingo-Paint 'em.

I've slowly been collecting a small force to use with my NOVA, IMEF, Sedition Wars, and Deadzone mini's. They're not super detailed... But then Daleks in general aren't anyway.

Good news is, they're $2.99 here in Canada and available at my local Comic shop.

Bad news is, they're packed in mystery pouches so you can't see what mini you're actually getting.

Good news is, if your shop has them displayed on a shelf, like mine has, you can pick and choose which pouch you want, and the Daleks are noticeably thicker than the other mini's. So if there are Daleks in any of the pouches, you should be able to suss them out pretty quickly.

Of course since you're a fan of the show, you might want to start a collection of them all anyway.

::):

Oh, them, yes. I thought their humans look a bit Lego-ish, but my youngest has a small army of their Daleks. They came in an open box set, though, not a hidden pouch. I always hate those not-knowing-what-you're-buying gimmicks.

I used one of his Daleks as a visual and scale reference to make a small army of chocolate Daleks for his birthday cake two years ago. I made a chocolate TARDIS too. They were fun, but really big for 28mm scale.

Crooked Dice make some minis based on classic UK tv shows. Their scary statues may look familiar.

http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/product/scary-statues-2/

I see they also have filled out some of the missing companions. It's nice to see John Barrowman has his own mini:

http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/product/group-captain-jim-barrowight-2/

• Like 2