Doctor Who stand-ins

Pingo

However, they do not own copyright on the shape of a police box (and the one we're getting is clearly white, not blue). All's fair in love and copyright war.

Black Tree Design has ALL THE WHO.

Well ...

All the old ones, yes, pre-hiatus.

And don't think I'm not grateful that they're there.

But aren't they a bit ... clonky?

I mean, just look at Jo Grant, poor thing.

Also, there are no officially licensed New Who figures anywhere. I would love to see modern sculpts of Daleks and Cybermen and Judoon.

There is a thread discussing the various minis that would go with Reaper's police box here:
http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/49679-doctor-who-stand-ins/

I don't think they're that clonky. I've got 1 (with Susan) and 4 (with Romana 1), and they're pretty good. Romana's dress is a little flat (which made it hard to shade and highlight), but the rest is good.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A police public call box is a historical artifact. While it is clear what it is meant to be, it is not a violation of anyone's IP to offer them.

Actually, the BBC has a trademark on blue police boxes, and the UK Patent Office has refused the objections of the (London) Metropolitan Police. See Wikipedia.

Hmm. Based on the Metropolitan Police never having trademarked the boxes before the BBC did in 1996, Wikipedia says.

That's kind of a bummer. I can't imagine the police ever thought they would have to trademark their own tools for protection.

But clearly it's only *blue* police boxes that the BBC controls. Unpainted police boxes are not a trademark violation.

However, they do not own copyright on the shape of a police box (and the one we're getting is clearly white, not blue). All's fair in love and copyright war.

Black Tree Design has ALL THE WHO.

Well ...

All the old ones, yes, pre-hiatus.

And don't think I'm not grateful that they're there.

But aren't they a bit ... clonky?

I mean, just look at Jo Grant, poor thing.

Also, there are no officially licensed New Who figures anywhere. I would love to see modern sculpts of Daleks and Cybermen and Judoon.

There is a thread discussing the various minis that would go with Reaper's police box here:http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/49679-doctor-who-stand-ins/

I don't think they're that clonky. I've got 1 (with Susan) and 4 (with Romana 1), and they're pretty good. Romana's dress is a little flat (which made it hard to shade and highlight), but the rest is good.

I'm glad to hear that. I saw figs like the Doctor No. 2 and Adric and Leela and was kind of concerned.

Doesn't Hasslefree allready make Tardis'es in resin? :)

Ainsty. Both transparent and not.

Since they also do an ISO container and Atenociti are doing a variety of bins for Mars Attacks, I'm not yet convinced.

That would work well...but really, I want a butler-style Ood. So classy!

Doctor Who Micro Universe Ood would probably be your key words on ebay. Ood were commons and not as in demand as Daleks.

Edited by Dahak

As far as I know no one is making official 28mm miniatures for the newer Doctor Who series. I wish they would. I hear that issues of the tie-in fan magazines in the UK sometimes come with premiums like little armies of plastic Daleks, but I'm not sure how easy such things would be to find on this side of the Atlantic.

microuniverse3pack_small.jpgmicrouniverse7pack_small.jpg

Dr Who: Micro Universe Prepainted collectable 28mm figures on 10sided 30mm bases.

captainjacksship.jpg

There were 7 Ship sets, six with a fixed figure not in the main set and a fixed ship and one with three ships, two duplicates form the rest of the set and one a repaint of the Sanctuary Base ship and three fixed figures one of which was from the random set.

collection1.jpg

Plus a Tardis Shaped carrying case with space for one of each of the figures.

• Like 3

As far as I know no one is making official 28mm miniatures for the newer Doctor Who series. I wish they would. I hear that issues of the tie-in fan magazines in the UK sometimes come with premiums like little armies of plastic Daleks, but I'm not sure how easy such things would be to find on this side of the Atlantic.

~snip~

Dr Who: Micro Universe Prepainted collectable 28mm figures on 10sided 30mm bases.

~snip~

There were 7 Ship sets, six with a fixed figure not in the main set and a fixed ship and one with three ships, two duplicates form the rest of the set and one a repaint of the Sanctuary Base ship and three fixed figures one of which was from the random set.

~snip~

Plus a Tardis Shaped carrying case with space for one of each of the figures.

SHUTUPANDTAKEMYMONIES!

A police public call box is a historical artifact. While it is clear what it is meant to be, it is not a violation of anyone's IP to offer them.

Actually, the BBC has a trademark on blue police boxes, and the UK Patent Office has refused the objections of the (London) Metropolitan Police. See Wikipedia.
Hmm. Based on the Metropolitan Police never having trademarked the boxes before the BBC did in 1996, Wikipedia says.That's kind of a bummer. I can't imagine the police ever thought they would have to trademark their own tools for protection.But clearly it's only *blue* police boxes that the BBC controls. Unpainted police boxes are not a trademark violation.

Wait a minute ...

19...96?!?

That date struck me as weird, and I just realized why.

The BBC cancelled "Doctor Who" in 1989. They wrote it off, kissed it goodbye, and said good riddance.

The BBC went to all the trouble of copyrighting the blue police box, much to the London Police's annoyance, seven years after they cancelled the show it was from.

1996, I am reminded, was the year of the execrable "Doctor Who" movie made by the Fox Network in America as an abortive attempt to launch an American version of the franchise.*

It looks like the BBC copyrighting the blue police box in 1996 was connected to the American production, and I wonder if it was at the urging of the Hollywood types.

*To be fair, Paul McGann made a wonderful Doctor. It was only the script and the production that I found embarrassingly Hollywood.

Edited by Pingo

So I have acquired some official Doctor Who minis from Black Tree Design.

It's mostly good news, but to get the bad out of the way first: The US branch of Black Tree was indeed excruciatingly slow in shipping. I contacted them almost three weeks after my initial order confirmation to inquire why I hadn't yet received a shipping notice. My order was sent with an apology shortly after.

On the good side, the figures are far nicer than those terrible tiny low-res pictures on their website would indicate. The Daleks and monsters I ordered had nice, clean details and finish.

The scale is a little small compared to current standards. At just under an inch and a quarter, Doctor Number Three looks a little slight next to my Reaper minis. On the other hand, whoever sculpted him did a good job catching his features and expression. His clothes are a little simplified and his hands a little cartoony, but all in all he is a good character figure.

The minis arrived clustered in several small plastic bags. Daleks come in three parts and need gluing.

I continue to hope that somebody at the BBC will give the go-ahead to a line of 28mm minis for New Who. Failing that, fans keeping aneye out for good minis to mod and adapt are always appreciated.

Meanwhile, Black Trees Old Who minis are not half bad. If only their shipping were a little more timely.

• Like 3