Doctor Who stand-ins

Pingo

Upon obtaining the Third, Fourth, and Seventh Doctors, Davros, Ace, Sarah Jane, a couple Ogrons and a Zygon, I finally gave up. One order arrived within two weeks. They fouled up every other order. They FIX it when you contact them, but I have become spoiled by dealing with businesses who, upon verifying my credit card data, SHIP ME THE FRIGGIN' PRODUCT, POSTHASTE.

Do you mean Black tree Design?

Yup.

The figures aren't bad, and they've got Daleks, a thing which pretty much every other miniatures outfit won't touch. But their customer service is awful.

I'd give a pretty to see someone else get the license and try issuing new sculpts.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have acquired some official Doctor Who minis from Black Tree Design.

On the good side, the figures are far nicer than those terrible tiny low-res pictures on their website would indicate. The Daleks and monsters I ordered had nice, clean details and finish.

The scale is a little small compared to current standards. At just under an inch and a quarter, Doctor Number Three looks a little slight next to my Reaper minis. On the other hand, whoever sculpted him did a good job catching his features and expression. His clothes are a little simplified and his hands a little cartoony, but all in all he is a good character figure.

Meanwhile, Black Trees Old Who minis are not half bad. If only their shipping were a little more timely.

I think the Black Tree stuff is fine. I have several Dr Who figures that I use as civillians for different games. They may be a little cartoony, but I think it enhances the caricature aspect of the figures.

Here is picture of the first 5 doctors. It shows their faces better.

http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/forum//uploads/doctors_9100.jpg

I have some of the companions and three different versions of the master. I will try to post more photos.

What characters are you interested in for your RPG Pingo?

Buckyball

Edited by buckyball

BAHAHAHAAA! Sorry Qwyk.

Anyone know of a stand-in for a goatee-era The Master? Crooked Dice seems to be out of stock and I need one to lead my imperial Romans so that they might plausibly fight Greek hoplites.

Black Tree Design has several versions of the Master. Their minis look considerably better than those tiny wretched low-res photos on their site would suggest, although they do not even have an image for one of their Master figures.

I can't really recommend them, though. They have messed up every order I've made, at the very least have been really, really, really slow to deliver. At the moment I am waiting for an accidental delivery of German WWII soldiers and some Silurians to be replaced with the Doctors and some companions I actually ordered (I also ordered the unseen Master, so I may be able to report on him soon).

Their figures are not bad, but their service is messed up. Heresy and Crooked Dice have been much, much easier to deal with.

Edited by Pingo

What Pingo said.

I mean, I can understand screwing up an order. We all make mistakes. But when Doc makes multiple orders, and they literally screw EACH of them up in some way, ranging from "missing figures" to "Whoopsy, we seem to have forgotten to send the order out altogether! Thanks for emailing us for a reminder! We'll clean off the desk, find your order, and send that puppy out posthaste!", then it's way since time to vote with your wallet. Put it back in your pocket and go somewhere else.

What Pingo said.

I mean, I can understand screwing up an order. We all make mistakes. But when Doc makes multiple orders, and they literally screw EACH of them up in some way, ranging from "missing figures" to "Whoopsy, we seem to have forgotten to send the order out altogether! Thanks for emailing us for a reminder! We'll clean off the desk, find your order, and send that puppy out posthaste!", then it's way since time to vote with your wallet. Put it back in your pocket and go somewhere else.

The problem is nobody else has Daleks, nobody has Cybermen or the other classic monsters, and no one else has the Original Eight.

The problem is nobody else has Daleks, nobody has Cybermen or the other classic monsters, and no one else has the Original Eight.

You can get plastic daleks and cybermen micro Universe toys from Dr Who toys at:  http://doctorwhotoys.net/microuniverse.htm  These are close to the right size

But Pingo is correct in that BTD seems to have the only original 8 Dr Who figures and the Peter Cushing Dr Who miniature.  They also have the original masters.  Which you can see here: http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/forum//uploads/masters_1296.jpg 

The Delgado Master is really the best. 

buckyball

Edited by buckyball

Took 2 months, and multiple emails, but I did finally get my Black Tree Design Daleks this weekend.  In thier defense, I had ordered a 152mm Soviet howitzer, and they said the mold busted.  They were hoping to fix it, but were not able to - said howitzer is no longer available on their website.  And after I talked to them over email, they sent me an alternate cannon that was $2.50 more for no upgrade cost, and had a hand written note apologizing for how late the order was.

I think their operations are much better, now that they moved most everything to Texas, rather than having it in the UK.

• Like 1