Gorgeous! Go Pingo! I'm always impressed when an artist finishes aspects of a work that are not normally seen- it shows dedication, creativity, love of craft, integrity and attention to detail. Admirable qualities all! Can't wait to see the finished boat, but take your time. Watching it grow is fun!

The Carina Nebula has been featured on The Astronomy Picture of the Day many times. The middle link will change content daily. APOD is a good visual resource for other worldly terrain, planets, asteroids, nebulae, galaxies etc.

Pingo, I hope you give the bottom a hard, hard, clear coat to protect your work (if this does get some in-game use).

So I've turned my attention a bit to the deck.

I wanted a sense of dizzying space under the feet. I decided to paint a generic nebular starscape on the deck (as compared to the more precise one below the hull), and keep the sense of looking down onto a forest through the hatch.

I mixed up some transparent deep purple using phthalo green (that's right, green, and I'd be glad to talk about color mixing if anyone's interested, because there's not a speck of blue on that deck) and quinacridone magenta, swabbed the deck with it (with a breath of white here and there for opacity and variation), then when it was dry started to scrub on some thin films of white.

post-8022-0-84972100-1372176172.jpg

I then built up the space with glazes of color, thin scumbles of white, and the odd bit of blending.

post-8022-0-08059900-1372176261.jpg

This was the state of the deck just before putting the stars in. Oh, and since I was already using purple, I threw some paint on a couple of not-Illithid figures I have which will be needed in-game later (one from Reaper and one classic old Ral Partha). Nothing gives a terrific Illithid "greenish-mauve" like a purple mixed from green and red.

post-8022-0-78792400-1372176512.jpg

After I added stars, this is what the deck looked like.

post-8022-0-77528700-1372176611.jpg

The hatch (which I wanted to look like a window looking down over a forest) has been looking like this for a while. It's a wash of a semi-translucent lime yellow-green over the burnt umber wash I had put over the primed ship.

post-8022-0-26657600-1372176758.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't take work-in-progress shots of the hatch work. It's a square, about 4 1/2 cm across (1 3/4 inches), counting the frame, and it went pretty fast. I stippled transparent shadows in phthalo green and blue and burnt sienna, possibly a little burnt umber or black, I can't quite recall, and highlights in mixed shades of lime green, sage green, and pale yellow. When I was tired of it and it looked sort of okay (this happens in painting more than you would think), I painted some tiny white birds in flight over it and considered the landscape part of it done.

post-8022-0-39194600-1372177028.jpg

The last thing I did was paint the frame black (I'm still going to put something over it, but I'm not sure what yet).

post-8022-0-83357300-1372177077.jpg

I put a little burnt sienna wash on parts of the upper deck, and this is what it looks like at the moment.

post-8022-0-28949800-1372177120.jpg

• Like 18

Wonderful.

I'm amazed at the difference just painting the frame of the hatch black made. It went from "Ok, I can sort of see why she's going for" to "Holy crap that looks cool".

Oh, and please feel free to go into the colour theory and how you got purple from green and red. I find all of that fascinating.

Edited by Jasper_the_2nd
  • Like 3

Wow. It took me a while to catch up to this thread, but I found it incredibly educational. I'm learning a lot about the proper use of color (and the meanings of the traditional names for artist's pigments, which also helps!)

Pingo, The star-scape you painted on the hull is just plain inspirational.

I can also sympathize with the difficulty of taking in-process photos. I have tried a few times, with mixed results. If your camera has a delay timer, that can sometimes help, but not always.

...some transparent deep purple using phthalo green (that's right, green, and I'd be glad to talk about color mixing if anyone's interested, because there's not a speck of blue on that deck) and quinacridone magenta...

...I painted some tiny white birds in flight over it and considered the landscape part of it done.

attachicon.gif6-hatch-closeup.jpg

The last thing I did was paint the frame black (I'm still going to put something over it, but I'm not sure what yet).

attachicon.gif8-hatch-closeup.jpg

Last time I mixed red and green I got a greyish-muckled-brown out of the deal. Color wheel theory from aeons ago is telling me that any of these: (green+red OR blue+orange OR purple+yellow) ought to result in something near black. But more about that further down...

The hatch reminds me of this:foresttu4.png I used to have it arrayed as tiles..

..on the dear old Win98 desktop. It was one of the standard things that OS shipped with. So I vote for brass work, faux gold, for the final finish on the bars that divide the hatch into panes.

Wonderful.

I'm amazed at the difference just painting the frame of the hatch black made. It went from "Ok, I can sort of see why she's going for" to "Holy crap that looks cool".

Oh, and please feel free to go into the colour theory and how you got purple from green and red. I find all of that fascinating.

I am with Jasper I would like to know how you got purple from Green + Red. I remember Pthalo Green was a funny colour. Was there a Pthalo Blue (that looked green?) as well? It's been a long time since that set of oil paints and color theory / color wheel class.

I mixed up some transparent deep purple using phthalo green (that's right, green, and I'd be glad to talk about color mixing if anyone's interested, because there's not a speck of blue on that deck)

WHAT IS THIS SORCERY

I just can't get over how gorgeous this is turning out!! I love all the little touches you put in too, like the seagull perched on the window, or the birds flying by under the hatch. It just brings the whole piece to life in a wonderful way. lol If I were in your group, I would be WAY too distracted looking at the loveliness that is your amazing ship to actually play. And I'd be afraid of putting minis on it, lol. :)

Really enjoying seeing the process!

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 4

I think you achieved exactly what you wanted to here. The deck does look like the nebula and I like that you've got us looking down on it instead of up at it. Just brilliant. What you've done with the hatch is lovely as well. Those seagulls you painted in the hatch are so charming. You've a magical vision and the talent to take it from your imagination and bring it into this world.

• Like 3

...take me for a trip upon your magic, swirling ship...I'm ready to go wanderin'...

Looks great so far. I, too, would be interested in your pigmentative permutations if you have the time and inclination.

Really love that hatch, and I'm looking forward to seeing the upper deck.

Yes, Please Pingo, share with us your arcane knowledge, how did you get that lovely purple and blue nebula and starscape using Pthalo green, and no blue at all?

I've turned my attention to what I think of as the captain's cabin.

The more I work on this ship, the more it looks like they deliberately sculpted it to look like really weathered wood. The stairs seem like stacked logs more than smooth architecture. If I were painting this like plain wood, it would I think be pretty easy to get a weathered effect.

However, I'm doing weirder stuff than that.

A lot of this is underpainting, prep work for what's to come.

I started in painting the door to the cabin in the blue I mixed above from phthalo green and quinacridone magenta, lightened with a bit of white.

post-8022-0-17416800-1372356501.jpg

Then I layered darker and lighter blues (lighter over darker gives luminosity, darker over lighter gives intensity of color), deliberately mottling the texture, and painted lighter blue along the upper and left edges of the door shapes. I was originally going to layer the shadows using nothing but deep blue, but life is too short. I used straight black instead.

post-8022-0-86891600-1372356710.jpg

Here's the door more or less done (not the handle yet), with more intense medium blues layered over in an effect I call not-at-all-TARDIS-blue. (And this is the blue, remember, mixed from phthalo green and quinacridone red.)

post-8022-0-08542800-1372356831.jpg

I also started painting the frame around the door with a pale cream yellow and blacklined the intensely deep gaps between the door and its frame. I think I would like to paint some sort of decoration on that frame, but I'm not sure what yet. I'm tempted by Bassho's famous haiku about the frog and pond, but I'm afraid that may be a distraction from the meaning of the ship overall.

In the last pictures I have cleaned up the doorframe and underpainted the roof and stairs black and the planks above and below the cabin brownish wood color. The accidental glowing-coals effect on the wood is from burnt sienna (it really does have bright orange undertones). There is a sort of tentative foggy effect on the fence above the back of the cabin, but I'm not sure what goes there yet.

post-8022-0-36310900-1372357231.jpg post-8022-0-18292400-1372357239.jpg

• Like 11

First thing I thought of when I saw that blue door was that Pingo is making the Tardis part of her ship.

• Like 5