Well, that's unfortunate. Now I want one of these.

That aside, this looks like it'll be a blast to put together and paint. Can't wait to see it coming together!

Could that be uncured resin or something?

Ship is looking cool though, I kinda want something like this one day.

• Like 1

Ship is looking cool though, I kinda want something like this one day.

That was what I was wondering. I hope not, because isn't it an allergen or something? Anyhow, I've tried to dig out the softest of it and will probably just cover over the rest with epoxy.

Gelaendestuecke has a charming English version of its site, by the way. Here's their English page for my model:

http://www.gelaendestuecke.de/onlineshop/product_info.php?language=en&info=p359_schiffsbausatz-no--2.html&

I don't think they have anyone who really understands English doing the translating, certainly not proofreading it. It's comprehensible, but also charmingly off.

It's the quality of their models that matters anyway.

• Like 1

Nice project Pingo!

You are certainly right about resin dust. I bought myself an appropriate NIOSH mask when I started working with resin models.

That soft gooey stuff is weird. I've never seen resin like that. I have, however, seen a russian resin garage kit that used lard as mold release. The kit was over a decade old when it came into my hands, and was pretty nasty. But I was so happy to have parts to build a 1/35 panzer I Bison.

And not a week after I finally cobbled the thing together, which was the most evil assembly job ever . . . Dragon released their vastly superior 1/35 Bison I kit.

<_<

Probably. If they didn't mix it well enough, or the conditions were bad for curing, or if the resin was old, spots inside could stay gunky. Better to find them all now, because if Pingo uses a spray primer, like from Krylon or another such car primer, it can react with even heretofore unseen gunky resin under the surface, and start to bleed.

Bleeding resin is a major pain on a half-primered model.

Edited for advice: Hold the pieces up to a strong light, like sunlight and look for dark spots beneath the surface. That will represent the areas of still-liquid resin. Poke 'em and drain 'em if you can, then patch the holes with something that dries like hard plastic, like Magic Sculpt (it works really well as a Bondo for resin models. That should take care of it. Like I said, if spray primer touches the outside of such an area before it is drained, there is a chance it will react and bleed.

Edited by Bruunwald
  • Like 1

Huh. When I made my previous post, I had seen all the pictures but none of the text. I really thought it was just a photo essay.

So yeah. Odd.

The gunk stuff seems, as has been pointed out, like uncured resin, so I hope you can do something about that before painting.

Have you thought about how to do the sails, yet, or is that a step too far as yet? Given this ship's start as a chem experiment, you should consider doping up some paper sails. Fun times ahead!

Huh. When I made my previous post, I had seen all the pictures but none of the text. I really thought it was just a photo essay.

So yeah. Odd.

The gunk stuff seems, as has been pointed out, like uncured resin, so I hope you can do something about that before painting.

Have you thought about how to do the sails, yet, or is that a step too far as yet? Given this ship's start as a chem experiment, you should consider doping up some paper sails. Fun times ahead!

While I was composing the post I accidentally hit submit. I had to do a quick edit, and by then you'd already commented.

The center of the white stuff is soft and waxy, and I think I've dug most of that out. The white stuff around it is harder, but it clearly had only a thin film of the hard grey stuff over it.

I was thinking of making the sails of fine canvas and painting images on them.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 1

pingo I just wanted to say thanks for the warning on sanding the resin, I hadn't heard anything about this and wouldn't have thought twice about it.

ditto. I have a resin Battletech dropship sitting in my mountain of models awaiting work. Now I know to be very careful when I work on it.

Corporea quickly likes all of Pingo's posts she can find today. Happy Boat-Building Day!

In related news, how brittle is resin for sanding? I'm working on an order of the stick mini (mask on, no fear) and gently sanding, but I'm afraid I might break it if I'm too vigorous.