malefactus

The Last Hurrah Project..Photo Heavy

Awesome!

They're getting ready!

I'm in the same boat, building painting for fun/ stories to go with that.

The possible gaming angle is like a guideline.

image.png.0fdc3f4e1c8b4e321d9475b4cc450970.png

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Awesome!

They're getting ready!

Thanks, Glitter. I crashed & only got a little work done yesterday, but the weekend are usually productive...usually.

We both do seem to be in it for the stories. The comradery of gaming may be lacking, but so are the rules arguments.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Whether you use 'em for gaming, or just telling the stories in your head, I think the stuff that you do is pretty darn cool!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

Whether you use 'em for gaming, or just telling the stories in your head, I think the stuff that you do is pretty darn cool!

Thanks, Wolf...glad you enjoy the stuff.

While I wasn't part of the game, the Mushrooms I sent off to my Forum Friend Paul "Matakishi" Ward were featured adversaries in a R.P.G. he ran...there were quite a few of them.

He no longer has the game as part of his Tea House site; SO I can't give a link to it.

Beyond the story telling idea, the Mushrooms are primarily gifts to Forum Folk that have asked for them.

I have been following some of my friend Dinos' 18th Century & Pirate Games along with a couple of Goblin threads. Now I have the urge to paint up some Gangs of miniatures for the 

Mushroom World...I do have to come up with a name for the place as well.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 3

On 8/23/2018 at 1:24 PM, Glitterwolf said:

I can definitely see that.  For my own painting projects, I've often found myself motivated to paint up and kitbash minis for a friend who plays Warhammer 40K, and the rules for what constitutes a valid unit (with options) provides certain boundaries within to work, whereas if I just had a blank slate of "Oh, just paint something," I'd probably get a lot less done.  (Honestly, I'm not even sure how many of these minis I've painted up for my friend have actually seen a tabletop battlefield, but at least it felt like I was "accomplishing" something.) 

I mean, I could just go through my box o' Bones and arbitrarily pick some colors and paint each mini, one by one, but I'm far more motivated when there's some sort of PURPOSE involved (however theoretical), or even a hint of a puzzle (i.e., "How can I represent THIS player's specific character concept, given THESE minis to chose from, and THIS bag o' bitz?").  I suppose that having some sort of a unifying "story" to tell with models could serve much the same motivational purpose.

• Like 4

The thing with me & painting or, at least, basing for possible game use is the belief that every toy soldier has the inalienable right to be played with.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

One of the benefits of working tedious jobs like painting largish miniature armies & factory work is developing a certain self discipline, an attribute worth cultivating.

Which brings me to the subject of what I finished today:

DSCN6676.thumb.JPG.56c5b9c24df7313c1630b65780417871.JPGDSCN6677.thumb.JPG.eedbc2e6d9b5b9a1ac59261d40412a97.JPGDSCN6678.thumb.JPG.69be52633978af9651aa46302b80cff2.JPG

I did up the smaller & less personable versions of these earlier.

• Like 11

14 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

As do I. 

12 hours ago, malefactus said:

While I wasn't part of the game, the Mushrooms I sent off to my Forum Friend Paul "Matakishi" Ward were featured adversaries in a R.P.G. he ran...there were quite a few of them.

He no longer has the game as part of his Tea House site; SO I can't give a link to it.

I wonder if there is a thread on LAF somewhere with a few pictures. 

12 hours ago, malefactus said:

...Now I have the urge to paint up some Gangs of miniatures for the 

Mushroom World...I do have to come up with a name for the place** as well.

I wonder if the Frostgrave rules would be a good starting point to adapt. In furtherance of this:

8 hours ago, malefactus said:

The thing with me & painting or, at least, basing for possible game use is the belief that every toy soldier has the inalienable right to be played with.

**So... names:

“Shroomgrave”? “Mushgrave”? “Frostgrave: The Malefungal Forest”? 

“Fungegrave”? “Malefungerron”? (That last one is a portmanteau of Fungus, Malefactus, and Eberron, but not quite in that order.) 

An sample address would be sorta like:

12 Greeblie Lane

The Blight

Malefungerron

Now here I am wondering how Mail Delivery works in The Blight;

-trained bats..?

-goblin postal workers who shoot letters into dwellings attached to crossbow bolts..?

It could certainly be called the Post Awful. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, TGP said:

As do I. 

I wonder if there is a thread on LAF somewhere with a few pictures. 

I wonder if the Frostgrave rules would be a good starting point to adapt. In furtherance of this:

**So... names:

“Shroomgrave”? “Mushgrave”? “Frostgrave: The Malefungal Forest”? 

“Fungegrave”? “Malefungerron”? (That last one is a portmanteau of Fungus, Malefactus, and Eberron, but not quite in that order.) 

An sample address would be sorta like:

12 Greeblie Lane

The Blight

Malefungerron

Now here I am wondering how Mail Delivery works in The Blight;

-trained bats..?

-goblin postal workers who shoot letters into dwellings attached to crossbow bolts..?

It could certainly be called the Post Awful. 

I didn't recall him posting in the Fantasy Section of L.A.F.. After a futile search on DM's Craft, I did a search of Matakishi's Tea House. AND viola, I found it:

https://www.matakishi.net/yarth5.html

I was thinking of borrowing friend Ben aka floedebolle's Absurdistan as a possible name, but it lacks originality on my part & seems more like a national name rather than a World.

For the postal system I have an image of Tinkerbell with a mail sack now emblazoned in my mind.

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Good work on the fellows in that line up!~

Thanks, Wolf. I am glad you like them.

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Grotto Fungi.

Shroomcave.

Sporefields.

...possibilities.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 4

Plodding along with the Mushroom Gang:

DSCN6683.thumb.JPG.a5f7414612cd05d9ccb792041fc8e1f2.JPGDSCN6684.thumb.JPG.6b5125e95737c240964df324f24f4fa9.JPG

The Gang to date:

DSCN6685.thumb.JPG.85172a3e782558b813374e4e69f4ba3b.JPG

Not the best of pics, but you get the general idea. More later...or not.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

They remind me a bit of the Joker from Batman.

Menacing, creepy and still humorous!

There is a range of reactions to the Mushrooms, from nightmarish to cute. I think their underlying silliness is their main appeal.

• Like 3