Sign in to follow this  
Pragma

Pragma's WIP

Thanks! I didn't base any of the previous four bones (7 if you count the rats) so I may be overcompensating a little bit. I can't take much credit for the idea, since it was my wife's idea. But I can take credit for marrying well.

The next step is gluing everything together on a base. Last night I slathered an interesting shaped lid in black gesso and I'm going to start sticking some craft moss to it for foliage under the flower. Normally this stuff would look out of scale, but with giant flowers I think the usual rules of scale don't apply.

Here she is with the foliage:

post-8559-0-11757800-1385263905.jpg

I still need to touch up a few places on the flower and the feet where I rubbed off some of the paint while cutting the base off. One of these times I will plan ahead and cut the base off before painting.

• Like 13

Thanks for the compliment, and thanks for running the weekly paint-along. It's helped me break the crippling indecision of what to paint next, and nothing motivates like a fixed deadline. Plus it's been great to see how other painters handle the same mini.

Great flower base. I'm going to have to show my wife that one, she makes flowers out of clay and stuff like that sometimes.

Then I'm going to have to buy more sculpty, as I'm sure she'll use all mine....

• Like 1

Just bumping this to say awesome work. A friend of mine painted one and this one is totally different, barely recognizable as the same thing. Very good work.

• Like 1

I just moved Astrid over to show off.

Great flower base. I'm going to have to show my wife that one, she makes flowers out of clay and stuff like that sometimes.

Then I'm going to have to buy more sculpty, as I'm sure she'll use all mine....

It comes in one pound blocks, enough to last a lifetime. If your wife can go through a whole block making tiny flowers then that's impressive. You should recruit her to make some bases!

Just bumping this to say awesome work. A friend of mine painted one and this one is totally different, barely recognizable as the same thing. Very good work.

That's one of the things I like about doing a paint-along is you get to see other people's take on the same model. The others can be seen here. Sometimes they all wind up looking similar, but I think this mini lends itself well to lots of different interpretations.

• Like 1

It comes in one pound blocks, enough to last a lifetime. If your wife can go through a whole block making tiny flowers then that's impressive. You should recruit her to make some bases!

Yeah, you'd think. But she'll start with some tiny flowers, then before you know it, boom, vines cascading off the mantel with hundreds of flowers and leaves...

Hmmm, getting her to sculpt bases....THAT...has potential......

Haven't done any painting in a while because I've been working on a sculpting project, check it out.

I just jumped back into the painting to work on Virina for next Monday's paint-along. Unfortunately she'll have to be links only: CAUTION: CONTAINS TINY PLASTIC NUDITY.

I decided to go for a skin based on dusky skin, hair in imperial purple, and the wings in a fleshy style I stole from Dontfear's dragon WIP. I decided to do more dramatic lighting than I've attempted before - she has a reddish-pink light from above, and a blue glow from below. I'm planning to make her base a demonic cave sort of landscape, with stalagmites. I'm planning to add cracks in the stone, with blue light coming up from below. Here is the base so far:

post-8559-0-68474800-1386218065.jpg

I'm wondering if I should glaze some purple onto the wings in order to bring the whole thing together a bit more. I dunno, I'm pretty happy with it over all.

Oh, and I totally nailed the eyes. I like them so much I'm tempted to leave them white.

Edited by Pragma
  • Like 2