Shivering, Slithering, Sliver Sculpting Contest!

I guess I'd better do that too, I kinda just posted a thread for mine cuz I noticed corporea's and thought it might be the way to enter.

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/51355-necro-sliver

There's the thread. Though I'm currently camping and posting on an iPhone with sketchy signal so I hope it's all done properly.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm well that was a little bust:) In anycase, thanks for anyone that attempet and showed interest. Perhaps the timing or conditions weren't best, but it's good to know folks are willing to go outside the box for contests.

At only two posted I would have to say that Corporea's inspired Bone Sliver does take it. The pose is outstanding with a very menacing yet protective vibe. The paint scheme is excellent capturing the unique nature of the sliver and also reminding me of real world animals, in that some of the most colourful are the most deadly. As you have heard on multiple occasions already, but it still deserves mention, the eggs are outstanding. I bet you could do a fantastic diorama of the Skinks stealing Carnosaur eggs for GW's Lizardmen army. Well done Corporea.

Second, of course, go to Fletch_Talon. While this may seem like a gimme, I do think that had others made the deadline yours still would have made it somewhere in the top. First the swampish base is outstanding and the skull was an excellent addition. The oversized talon and overall bone apperance does give it the impression of the specte of death approaching. I love the paint scheme as it reminds me of a classic fetid and disease ridden swamp. If my PC's ever entered such a swamp and found this guy they would now why life sucks there. Well done Talon.

Next contest is coming. It will be a painting contest that has five parts. Expect it around the start of October as I hammer out some of the pesky details.

Once again, thanks the both that hit the mark, and to everyone for showing interest and attempting it. I look forward to seeing your talents again soon.

Edited by LizardMage

My issue with the contest was the painting requirement. Just don't have the time in my paint schedule to do something like that especially considering the time frame of learning how to sculpt. I think there were others that would have entered without the painting requirement. I also think that more then 3 months were needed as most of us here have no idea how to use GS, outside of basic mods, and three months during a busy summer doesn't give a lot of time. Just something I've learned from my contests. I use to only give 6 weeks for painting stuff, seams like plenty I thought, and found that moving it to 2-3 months doubled the entries. If I'm doing a diorama category then there are at least 3 months of time as plenty of people flat out told me that 2 wasn't enough for them.

Be interested in the next one you do.

Edited by MonkeySloth
  • Like 1

Thanks for the kind words LizardMage, and congratulations Corporea on a well deserved win. I look forward to the next contest. I agree to an extent with MonkeySloth, the removal of painting requirements may attract more people. I can definitely see the benefit if keeping it as a requirement, since it can really help show off how good a sculpt is, but as was seen, a lot of people dropped out because of it.

Another thing that might help is doing something that's less abstract. Humans are hard because we have strong instincts as what they look like but the Slivers are on te opposite end where they're quite strange and the only art for them is magic cards.

I don't know what would be a good entry concept but I'm sure Tailspinner, Gene and Derek would offer suggestions if you asked.

Thanks!! ::): I had a lot of fun! I did feel rushed at the end. So more time might be good for future contests. I tend to only finish things if I have a deadline like a game session or contest, so I really appreciate any opportunity that helps motivate me. Maybe a team approach for the next one? Much as I love painting, I'd certainly be willing to partner with someone to do the painting if that was in the plan.

I do love skinks...hmmn....

You know, there are not a lot of animal sculpts out there. Animals are something we can all reference. It'd be cool to have an animal contest- and not a specific one. Pick a favorite and sculpt it, get it painted by a buddy. You'd get a wide range of entries, I would think. Just a thought.

Thanks again, and happy birthday!