Girot

Randomness Challenge! Tangents Only Thread

you kill one, it only needs to be one, then you tie a string to it's leg and hang it upside down where the others can see it. Crows are smart for birds, they are capable of recognizing both the shape of their fallen comrade, and the unnaturalness of it's state, and it tells their little brains that this is now a very dangerous and unhealthy place to be

They are carrion eaters and annoying birds. 

Last year, I was sitting at my paint desk, when I heard a lot of clattering and noise coming from my roof. Looking up through a sky light, I saw a crow, tossing around and pecking at a chicken bone that it must have carried up there. He made quite a racket up there.

I have a picture of it some place. I'll see if I can dig it up, when I get home.

Well...i'm a conflicted person. I have a bird feeder, always had one. Today, i open the blinds and find a hawk eating a bird in my back yard >.< 

on one hand, it's neat to see a hawk up close like that...

on the other....my biirrrrrddsss.....

edit for a link to the culprit! Caught him on camera, guilty as charged! http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d58/Sirithiliel/DSC01096_zps99e87753.jpg

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 6

At my parents place they had lots of fruit trees and consequently, lots of birds, including ground quail etc.  There was also a breeding pair of hawks that had made their nest for a number of sequential years in a stand of trees less than 100 m away.  In the spring, there would be lots of very cute and stupid baby birds... funnily enough there weren't that many of the little ones who grew up to be fully fledged members of the bird family.

• Like 3

So when I was a kid I'd safety pin about any long cloth item around my neck and be pretty sure I was superman with a cape. At some point I was given a long black sheet and I cut it into a rather large Batman cape. One day I was going to go in the house to get a drink (or whatever I did when I was about 8) and for no good reason I pinned my black cape to the tree in the front yard. A little while later when I came back outside, there were about 100 crows in my front yard all milling about and looking at the 'cape'. I don't know if they thought it was some sort of crow messiah, or just liked the look of it, but the image has stuck in my head all the years since.

• Like 8