Randomness Challenge! Tangents Only Thread

Girot

So, LK's ship is haze gray and sittin' in the bay right now?

^_^

....hrmmm. Elizabeth River, really, but seeing how all of the various bodies of water there - Hampton Roads, Willoughby Bay, and the Chesapeake Bay - are all interconnected with no real defining line between them, I'd say close enough.

I seem to spend an awful lot of time sittin' on the dock of the bay. :blues:

• Like 3

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• buglips*the*goblin

• ub3r_n3rd

• ShadowRaven

• Last Knight

Top Posters In This Topic

But guard duty doesn't technically count as wasting time...

All the guarding I do is on the ship, actually. Active duty Navy get stuck with pier guard responsibilities.

Not entirely sure if it's Federal code, part of the union contract, or what. I've heard plenty of stories from old-timers about how we used to have to do pier sentry (armed or unarmed), but it hasn't been a thing in the over a decade I've been sailing.

Generally, if I'm sitting on the pier, I am wasting time. ::D:

• Like 5

I wonder if you can paint while on "guard" duty

Yes and no, and this is another one of those things that differs by ship. I haven't tried painting on the quarterdeck yet, but I also haven't stood very many watches since I picked up the hobby again. I have done some painting while on watch, but it was at my desk in my stateroom during my "rover" period, after I did the required security round.

I say yes and no because some ships, they wouldn't care if I brought a book or some minis to paint down to the gangway, and some they would. Some ships require you to immediately return to the gangway after your round, rather than getting an hour or so 'break.'

Judging from what I've seen on this ship, I would not be able to get away with painting minis on the quarterdeck, but I could probably do them on rover... all of which is moot, since it looks like they're keeping me as a dayworker here.

• Like 3

But guard duty doesn't technically count as wasting time...

All the guarding I do is on the ship, actually. Active duty Navy get stuck with pier guard responsibilities.

Not entirely sure if it's Federal code, part of the union contract, or what. I've heard plenty of stories from old-timers about how we used to have to do pier sentry (armed or unarmed), but it hasn't been a thing in the over a decade I've been sailing.

Generally, if I'm sitting on the pier, I am wasting time. ::D:

Based on personal experience, most pier sentry responsibilities reverted to Active Duty military after 9/11.

Random tibbit: someone told me that he could tell a person didn't like vets and didn't want to help him because he had never been a GI.

At this point I most definitely didn't mention that I have never served (though I did interview for a naval officer position their answer was basically umm.... You're unique talents will be better utilized in different sphere).

I made sure to thank him for his service though. :lol:

And I could never paint on watch... i'm so focused on painting, the ship could disappear out from under me and I wouldn't notice.

Edited by Thes Hunter
  • Like 5

You know what drives me absolutely nuts with indignant rage?

The fact that the absolute second something goes out of print, every online seller with one jacks it up to an insane amount. I was looking for a copy of Finescale Modeler's Basics of Shipbuilding. So if this was in print, we're talking a $20 book. There's no special high demand. It's not autographed by God. It just happens to, presently, not be in the Kalmbach line-up.

$100 on Amazon.

Now, see, here's the thing. I don't have any problem with people charging what the market will bear. But the market will not bear that. Because nobody will ever pay that. All it does is shut down the market so nobody sells and nobody buys, strictly on the basis of insane greed. And they'll sit on that, too. For years.

I know, because I see it on eBay. I haven't checked recently, but if you go to ebay.com and search "AMT Star Destroyer" I bet you'll find one for $200. If you don't, it ain't because it sold. It's because the seller is gone.

I have been watching that item since 2004. Ten years that's sat there, for $199. And, worse, other sellers see that and think "oh, that must be what it's worth" and so their prices jack up and stuff doesn't sell.

50 bucks, people. That kit is 50 bucks. No more, not even on a good day. If you think you can get more, run an auction.

Makes me ill.

• Like 10

It only irks me with otherwise common items and that it unnecessarily clogs up the market. Like, I'd consider, I dunno, $4,000 for a MIP 1983 Cobra Commander to be a fair price. Not greedy a bit. It's genuinely rare. There's a reason it's worth that much.

And then to sit there, to sit on it for ages and not budge the price down a little? Stop! Running! A! Business! You're not qualified! You don't know how the exchange of currency for goods works!

Stupid is always in stock.

• Like 7

But they have it in the back of their closet somewhere, and some day someone will pay. They've seen it, with the few other items they have sold here and there. They aren't really running a business, they are just hoarding, and telling themselves they are doing it to make money.

• Like 3