Randomness Challenge! Tangents Only Thread

Girot

Oh, Skyrim...

I admit, I'm an absolute sucker for expansive sandbox games. The Elder Scrolls (Morrowind through Skyrim), Fallouts 3 and New Vegas, Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Autos in years past (4 didn't grab me, I've avoided 5 thus far)... I've lost months of my life to these games, and loved nearly every second of it. ::D:

My plans for this evening revolved around playing either Diablo III or Skyrim, since SWMBO is supposed to be at a party and the rugrat is at her grandmother's... but She isn't feeling well, so She's curled up on the living room couch. I'm being the good, quiet husband and sitting in the other room with my tablet, my paint/minis, and a hot toddy. ::D:

• Like 5

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• buglips*the*goblin

• ub3r_n3rd

• ShadowRaven

• Last Knight

Top Posters In This Topic

That is so awesome, OneBoot! I do almost the same thing with voice activated menus; my wife laughs at me every time I do it.

RE: Skyrim---I haven't played it, for 2 reasons:

1. I don't own it

2. I haven't figured out exactly how much of my life I wish to sacrifice to it. I say this because I played its predecessor, Oblivion, for around four solid months while I was on deployment back in '08. I finished every single side quest in the game and still only got partway through the main story line. Awesome game!

• Like 5

I cut my Skyrim playing short... because I had a choice with my limited free time, games or minis.

And skyrim got cut... because at the end of the day, with minis, I have something physical and lasting... while with video games...

But believe me... sometimes I still cry in my sleep at the thought of giving up so many wonderful video games.

Hey, maybe I'll be like this one retired couple I ran into... they play Skyrim all night. :lol:

• Like 5

That is so awesome, OneBoot! I do almost the same thing with voice activated menus; my wife laughs at me every time I do it.

1. I don't own it

2. I haven't figured out exactly how much of my life I wish to sacrifice to it. I say this because I played its predecessor, Oblivion, for around four solid months while I was on deployment back in '08. I finished every single side quest in the game and still only got partway through the main story line. Awesome game!

Oblivion was weaksauce, o my brother of the waves. Some system improvement over Morrowind, but a step back in story. Also, all those auto-leveling monsters so every fight was just as rough as the fight before and at level 50 you're still fighting goblins who can one-hit kill you? Totally lame.

Skyrim? Skyrim is chocolate dipped in heaven powdered with cocaine. That game will eat your soul. Lovingly.

Don't get it for the PS3, by the by. I made that mistake, and the bugs kept building and building as I went along until eventually the game was unplayable. It's much better on the 360, and I hear it's best of all on the PC (but I went to a netbook a long time ago, and it struggles to run Morrowind.)

Edited by Last Knight
  • Like 5

I'm having to be careful with Skyrim, since it's probably the best game I've played since Portal, but in so many different ways, so I want to do nothing but play it all day. I should probably start setting a timer, or something. At least it has good stopping points, like when I finish a quest. Unlike Minecraft, where the "quests" are all made up in my head, and I always create an endless number of them, which must all be finished before I can stop playing for the day/night/morning. :wacko:

Oh, and yes, I got it for PC, since that's my primary console of choice. I also use the PS2 for some things, and my Nintendo DS for a few others, but it's primarily PC. I've got a USB gamepad I could use with the game if I really wanted to, but I don't. It's way easier with a mouse and keyboard. ::P:

My IGM (instant gratification monkey) loves these boards, lol. I've gotten pretty good about pruning down the rest of my random Internet junk I used to check on a regular basis, but every now and again, it'll break loose and I'll end up spending hours wandering through youtube until 5am. :lol::wacko:

That reminds me: I've got this big icky daunting list of things that I need to go do. Or not. There's all these things to read around here that are way more fun and interesting than chores, after all.... :unsure:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 7

1. I don't own it

Oblivion was weaksauce, o my brother of the waves. Some system improvement over Morrowind, but a step back in story. Also, all those auto-leveling monsters so every fight was just as rough as the fight before and at level 50 you're still fighting goblins who can one-hit kill you? Totally lame.

Skyrim? Skyrim is chocolate dipped in heaven powdered with cocaine. That game will eat your soul. Lovingly.

Don't get it for the PS3, by the by. I made that mistake, and the bugs kept building and building as I went along until eventually the game was unplayable. It's much better on the 360, and I hear it's best of all on the PC (but I went to a netbook a long time ago, and it struggles to run Morrowind.)

Interesting. I never played any of the ones before Oblivion and was introduced to that by a shipmate who had it on his PC, mostly to get me to stop heckling him while he was playing Guitar Hero.

As far as being killed by lvl 50 goblins, all I can think is that maybe we have different playing styles? I developed my sneaking and archery skills to somewhere around the level of god. Goblins (and anything else for that matter) can't hit you when you're sniping them from 100 yards away. My sneaking ability got to be so good that I could literally sneak up to >the victim< and shoot them in the face before they even knew I was around.

Never fight fair.

• Like 2

1. I don't own it

Interesting. I never played any of the ones before Oblivion and was introduced to that by a shipmate who had it on his PC, mostly to get me to stop heckling him while he was playing Guitar Hero.

As far as being killed by lvl 50 goblins, all I can think is that maybe we have different playing styles? I developed my sneaking and archery skills to somewhere around the level of god. Goblins (and anything else for that matter) can't hit you when you're sniping them from 100 yards away. My sneaking ability got to be so good that I could literally sneak up to >the victim< and shoot them in the face before they even knew I was around.

Never fight fair.

Weird... I could never get sneaking to work properly in Oblivion, and archery in both of the earlier Elder Scrolls was useless to me.

On the other hand, what you just described is exactly my playstyle for Skyrim. ::D: Sneak, shoot, and then wail away sword-and-board if they spot me and close.

• Like 4

I twinked my armor crafting to the max level, nothing ever touched me again. My husband's character at a similar level still was being owned like a female dog.

I would like to play it again, now on the 360 with a new 60" HD screen. But... No. This month I'm allowed the luxury of painting cause I can listen to lectures... but I CAN NOT play video games.

But yeah, part of my new monkey is this place... I have been painting between posts.... but my paint seems to be drying faster than normal.

• Like 6

@ Last Knight--Yeah, that is weird. I'm sure I'll probably play Skyrim at some point, I'm just going to have to be sure I set a timer or some such. Playing all night back in the day wasn't too much of an issue, considering I was already at work.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 2

I blame Skyrim. It's such a huge ball of epic smothered in awesomesauce and wrapped in bacon and/or chocolate (how else can I describe its addictive qualities?) that I've already lost hours of my life playing it, and I haven't really moved beyond Whiterun yet. It's just so much FUN! :bday: It very much takes me back to the old Quest for Glory series in a lot of ways, which makes the nostalgia part of my super happy. I'm having a blast, I've already been thrown in jail once, picked almost 50 locks, and snuck around town picking up nearly everything that's not nailed down and chuckling to myself just because I can.

According to Steam, I have 270 hours into Skyrim. Not the 479 hours I have in Civ V, but respectable ... or deranged. It can be so hard to know the difference. ^_^

Regarding automated voice menus, I hate them passionately. It's gotten to the point where, even if my issue is something that could be resolved with the automated dealy, I just keep shouting "Customer Service!" over and over until it gets confused and puts me through to a real human. I've also heard or read that you can achieve the same result with automated button pressing menus (For _____, press 1, etc.) by repeatedly pressing 0. I haven't tried this yet, but then again, I have a much higher tolerance for those than for speech recognition menus.

I've had it work pretty well even on voice menus. Oh, it will complain that it doesn't know what you're saying sometimes, but eventually it gives up and then it calls for help.

• Like 4