Sign in to follow this  
Girot

Randomness Challenge! Tangents Only Thread

Ah yes, I know the original board game of civilization. it and diplomacy. You would think those folks over at Avalon Hill had a thing against friendships.

• Like 4

I'm having a debate with myself if a soda stream machine would be useful or not... its getting to be a heated debate considering the only participant is myself...

• Like 5

Every time I look at my newly bald head, I want to grow a handlebar mustache and really pump up my muscles. Then legally change my name to Igor Kolinsky and talk to people in a vaguely east european accent.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 11

I feel like since I'm the next one to post after Buggy, I ought to comment on the post. But I genuinely have no words. Perhaps a quiet amusement flavored with confusion? There. Those are my words.

I doubt this will make you feel any better, Pingo, but I have a Pokemon named after you.

This one, in fact. Not because it specifically reminded me of you, but because I wanted to name it "Pinga" after my thunderbird character I played in a oneshot Heroine game, but apparently the game thinks Pinga is a bad word (I'm not looking it up to double-check - it's a perfectly nice Inuit name if my quick Google search for Inuit names was correct). Pingo therefore became the logical choice.

Unfortunately, I think the very next Pokemon I ran across was this one. I would have named that one Pingo if I'd had to do it over again. Its name is "Paints" instead.

• Like 4

According to Steam, I have 270 hours into Skyrim. Not the 479 hours I have in Civ V, but respectable ... or deranged. It can be so hard to know the difference. ^_^

I never played beyond the original Civilization. I didn't really think that I should. You see, I'm rather a tyrant. And not one of those gentle tyrants that oppress people, and maybe do a few bad things. No, no, no. I'm worse than all of them combined.

I was playing as the Indians once. Which meant I was Gandhi. I was a terrible Gandhi, and I got into this little world war against Russia, Greece, China, Egypt, and some Zulus. And the war was going okayish because my communist scientists had learned me up some tanks and other fun stuff. Like rockets and atomic bombs. I built a few, you know, for a rainy day.

Suddenly I get an alert. It seems some of my citizens fooled themselves into believing they had some right to protest or such nonsense. Ha! As if those digital plebians knew anything about running a vast imperial war machine. Anyhoo, enough of them got upset that Delhi went up in revolt. As my capital city, and by far most populous, I was rather incensed that these ingrates would rise up against me - after me giving them that nice cathedral, too.

So I decided that this set a bad example for my other cities, and must be dealt with posthaste. So... I nuked them.

ALL of them.

I nuked millions of my own people just because they had the temerity to protest against my grotesque and malevolent rule.

And I'd do it again.

Is it weird that it feels weird to me that anyone would refer to the original Civilization as a video game?

... Says someone who has played and still owns the 1982 Avalon Hill boardgame.

Yeah, I have both Civ and Advanced Civ myself. The one I think is weird is "Sid Meyer's Civilization the Board Game". (Which I also have. Of course. ^_^ ) I don't think I ever saw the lengths of game for AH's Civ that I regularly see reported, though. For us it was usually 4-6 hours start to finish.

Oh, and Buglips, one of the big advantages* of more modern versions of Civ the computer game is that you can be religiously intolerant in addition to all the other sorts of intolerance. Oh, and extortion, of course: "I'll stop trying to tear out the heart of your empire ... all you have to do is give me your heart. See? Much less painful."

* Goblin style**.

** And now I want to filk Gangnam Style to Goblin Style. I think I'm probably a very bad person. :devil:

• Like 2

Took a picture of all the bikes parked at our train station, on the other side of the station is a similar parking spot, filled about the same.

IMG_0045.JPG

• Like 6

Darsc, I would recommend not downloading the updates; my mom has Skyrim on PS3, and hasn't experienced any difficulties that she's mentioned. Her PS3 isn't connected to the internet (that I know of), so she never downloaded the various patches.

Thanks. Mines not connected either.

I had no issues with the PS3 version personally, platinumed after 120 something hours which finally gave me an excuse to put it aside and reclaim my life for a while.

• Like 2

Blurgh, okay, I think I need to not play Skyrim for a few days. I'm still awake and it's almost 6am for the third day in a row, and that's just not good.

Shut up, Instant Gratification Monkey, this Rational Decision Maker is going to bed! And no, we won't be playing Skyrim until next Tuesday, since you seem to be having trouble controlling yourself. :grr:

...There, that should do the trick. Maybe painting will start happening again now. ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 11

I do prefer cold personally... which makes it funny where I've ended up.

...you aren't from Australia originally? Or did you mean what state (state? Province? Territory? Emirate? Barony?) you live in?

Lol, I was born in Australia, spent early childhood there, then went and spent 12 years in NZ when my folks went back home (they are NZ'ers). About 4 years ago moved back to Australia for job reasons (and had a heat stroke first thing).

I love NZ's climate... its just the job market there is nothing like the job market in Australia.

Amusingly, I moved from Perth to Canberra for the same reason, with the opposite climate change.

• Like 1

Took a picture of all the bikes parked at our train station, on the other side of the station is a similar parking spot, filled about the same.

IMG_0045.JPG

Wow.

That is so not my city.

The train station nearest me has a sad little bike rack with about five city rent-a-bikes on it.

And I live in a university town.

• Like 4

I'm having a debate with myself if a soda stream machine would be useful or not... its getting to be a heated debate considering the only participant is myself...

A friend of mine reviewed one a few months ago.

No... Don;t.

• Like 3

IMG_0045.JPG

okay what city are you in? I may post this to some of my transit planning forums.

If its Amsterdam do you still have ~20 guilder bikes available at the (black) market?

(or the equivalent in euros)

Edited by Evilhalfling