• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• buglips*the*goblin

• ub3r_n3rd

• ShadowRaven

• Last Knight

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha - Darsc. Just today (well, yesterday - it's after midnight now) I log on and see the new message. SO glad I turned off notifications on that project. As nice as Larry Elmore seems to be as a person, it's really turning me off to anything his name is attached to, just because I don't want to be spammed.

• Like 2

Ha - Darsc. Just today (well, yesterday - it's after midnight now) I log on and see the new message. SO glad I turned off notifications on that project. As nice as Larry Elmore seems to be as a person, it's really turning me off to anything his name is attached to, just because I don't want to be spammed.

I'm afraid to turn off the notifications until I've received my pledge rewards from his first KS.

And to be fair. I'm pretty sure Larry doesn't have a whole lot to do with his online presence. Unfortunately he seems to have put that in the hands of someone who has more of a talent for putting out spam than he does for providing useful information.

• Like 2

Yeesh, you guys are talkative.

Anyway, buying textbooks for the semester. Doesn't look too bad. One of the joys of being a CS major is that the CS portion of academia is big into open-source, so lots of authors release their books as free PDFs, and some of the other books are only "required" by the professors, by virtue of being full of things that can be found online in other forms anyway. So I'm looking at about $100 for the semester, plus a book for an elective that's $70 used, but which I can hopefully get from another student for cheaper. Could be a lot worse, I think! Oh, and I can probably use the Amazon credit I've built up for some of that.

The other joy of CS is that when you want a program to do something for you, you can just write one.

Edited by Slendertroll
  • Like 5

I'm making travel plans for February. I'm flying out for three days to attend a technical conference. I need to decide if I'm willing to take a red eye back from the west coast so that I can drive down to Providence for a campus recruiting event, before driving back up into MA for TotalCon at the end of the week. My boss thinks I'm nuts to consider it.

Anyway, buying textbooks for the semester. Doesn't look too bad. One of the joys of being a CS major is that the CS portion of academia is big into open-source, so lots of authors release their books as free PDFs, and some of the other books are only "required" by the professors, by virtue of being full of things that can be found online in other forms anyway. So I'm looking at about $100 for the semester, plus a book for an elective that's $70 used, but which I can hopefully get from another student for cheaper. Could be a lot worse, I think! Oh, and I can probably use the Amazon credit I've built up for some of that.

The other joy of CS is that when you want a program to do something for you, you can just write one.

Play your cards right(?) and you can share the joys of trip planning as outlined above! ::D:

• Like 2

Speaking of Elmore, I recently started reading the the BECMI books, because why not? I can't decide who's artwork I love more. Elmore or Otus. I realize they have completely different styles, and they are both awesome in their own way. On one hand Elmore is pretty much the face of AD&D for me. I got into AD&D with second edition, and the very first image I can remember from any of the books is the "Dragon Slayers and Proud of It" piece in the original 2nd Edition PHB. On the other Erol Otus' work is so simple, and clean it makes me want to dig out my technical pens and pretend I can draw again. 

• Like 2

So last night was interesting [going off topic from current tangent =P]

We have a very busy train track that runs not far away and basically makes a semi circle through town. A train went down it yesterday afternoon, and apparently it had a wheel locked up that was sparking all the way down. We're very dry right now...so it sparked several grass fires through town >.< including two that were less than a mile away.

Thankfully they were all taken care of before nightfall, but it was still unpleasant >.>

So last night was interesting [going off topic from current tangent =P]

We have a very busy train track that runs not far away and basically makes a semi circle through town. A train went down it yesterday afternoon, and apparently it had a wheel locked up that was sparking all the way down. We're very dry right now...so it sparked several grass fires through town >.< including two that were less than a mile away.

Thankfully they were all taken care of before nightfall, but it was still unpleasant >.>

A few years ago... Maybe 10, now that I think about it... We had a massive fire on the hills above the train tracks on the north side of town. We're talking 3-4 miles (at least) of one huge fire. A few houses were burned and a small college almost caught fire. Scary times. I never did find out if the railroad company ever paid out on stuff, as it was a train that started the fire. I wouldn't be surprised if they fought it, they're kinda jerks...

Thankfully actual property damage was minimal, someone lost a trailer of ...well, now it's contents are charred remains of whatever was in it, but he lost a trailer of stuff, and someone else's car in a nearby parking lot caught fire too, but most of the damage was just grass and the bottoms of power poles blackened. Still not fun though, to have it be that close.

Speaking of Elmore, I recently started reading the the BECMI books, because why not? I can't decide who's artwork I love more. Elmore or Otus. I realize they have completely different styles, and they are both awesome in their own way. On one hand Elmore is pretty much the face of AD&D for me. I got into AD&D with second edition, and the very first image I can remember from any of the books is the "Dragon Slayers and Proud of It" piece in the original 2nd Edition PHB. On the other Erol Otus' work is so simple, and clean it makes me want to dig out my technical pens and pretend I can draw again. 

Y U no love Jeff Easley? 

http://www.jeffeasleyart.com/

• Like 1

Y U no love Jeff Easley? 

http://www.jeffeasleyart.com/

I love Jeff Easley's work. I wish he would also make a play for my money. He doesn't seem to have much available.

Clyde Caldwell, on the other hand, has a ton of goodies to buy.