Randomness Challenge! Tangents Only Thread

Girot

Not sure how to bring it up?

Why? Does it look funny? Or like i have some out of control medical condition?  :lol:

Or is it like that parsley in someone's teeth, you don't want to interrupt the thoughtful discussion that is pouring forth from their orifice, but you are having trouble concentrating on what is being said with each and every little flash of green?

Edited by Thes Hunter
  • Like 7

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ub3r_n3rd

• buglips*the*goblin

• Last Knight

• ShadowRaven

Top Posters In This Topic

Catch up on ALL THE THINGS! (with lots of emoticons)

@buglips - Your gnome and my halfling would get along like a house on fire (which phrase has never quite made sense to me, but it feels appropriate here). When I'm playing Etuné, I basically channel a kleptomaniac five-year old, who seems to think that the whole combat thing is like one big game (yay, I can sneak attack this guy!). She does understand the whole dying thing, and becomes sad, but given that resurrection spells are a thing, the sad doesn't tend to last terribly long. She wants to experience this whole "dying and coming back to life" thing someday; it seems like it would be a great adventure!

Oh, and Etuné would also introduce your gnome to The Great (and forever mysterious) Banjo, her patron (and, some would say, imaginary) deity.  ^_^ In a vision, he allowed her to hold his banjo, which made all of her dreams come true at once.  :lol: 

It's all a set-up.  She won't stay this way, she'll lose bits of her gnomish self as it becomes increasingly obvious that The World is no place for her kind.  So she'll become more serious, more hard-bitten, more worn as time progresses until, at last, she comes to the realization that she's changed so much she can never go home again.  She presently has no idea what she's in for, so she's still being very gnome.

But as it turned out, the very first character she befriended was designed to be a bitter, cynical elven thief - which the player remarked is difficult to do with the gnome around.  Maybe for now, but as her innocence wears off maybe some of his cynicism will be replaced by some shade of hope.  As her spirit darkens, it becomes up to him to try and keep her going.  I like that, I like the oppositional trade of the relationship.

She also has an Inner Voice, which I act out.  It's shades of gollum, which was accidental.  So when we were attacked by owlbears (level one?  no free ride here!) Elliwyn (again I just stole the miniature's name) was terrified.  She expected, vaguely, for some things to be scary - but not that scary!  So until she resolves her courage, she always acts last in a round.

Elliwyn:  "Eep!  This thing is scary!"

Whisper Voice:  "But if you don't fight, everyone will think you're scared."

Elliwyn:  "But I am scared!"

Whisper Voice:  "But if you don't help, the monsters will hurt your friends."

Elliwyn:  "Hurt my friends?  No!"

Whisper Voice:  "Maybe even killllll them."

Elliwyn:  "No!  Noooo!  Nooooo!"

Whisper Voice:  "You have to be brave."

Elliwyn:  "Okay."  *begins to hyperventilate*  "Okay.  Okay.  Okay.  Okay."  *super hyperventilate*  "Okayokayokayokay.... yahhhhh!"

*battle ends*

Elliwyn:  (in shock)  "I'm okay.  I'm okay.  I'm okay.  I'm okay.  I'm okay.  I'm okay.  Am I okay?"

Druid:  "You're okay."

Elliwyn:  "Okay."  *passes out* 

But in addition to this, there's the silly gnome side.  Where one morning she'll shout everybody awake. jumping up and down like a kid on christmas.

Elliwyn:  "Wake up!  Wake up! Wake up! wakeupwakeupwakeup!"

Sellsword:  "Huh?  Whu?  Are we under attack?"

Elliwyn:  "Do you know what day it is?"

Druid:  "Sain Bobbins Day?"

Elliwyn:  "That was last month.  This is even better!"

Thief:  "What day is it, then?"

Elliwyn (conspiratorially):  "Mooncookie Day."

*distributes cookies*

Elliwyn:  "Okay, so you each have a cookie.  You'll see that your cookie is round, like the full moon, right?  Now this next part is hard, so watch carefully.  You take your cookie like this, and then you nibble it like this - OM NOM NOM NOM NOM - and then it looks like a Crescent Moon.  See?  And then you eat the rest of the cookie.  And that's mooncookie day!"

Or like when we accepted a mission for a local friar and he gave us each 5 gold for basic supplies.  And so I went to the store and bought some.

*LATER*

Fighter:  "Okay, let's make camp.  Lay your blankets around in a circle."

Elliwyn:  "i don't have a blanket."

*ALSO LATER*

Druid:  "Put this in your backpack."

Elliwyn:  "I don't have a backpack."

*ALSO ALSO LATER*

Thief:  "Give me some rope."

Elliwyn:  "I don't have any rope."

Thief:  "Did you spend all your supply money on sweets?"

Elliwyn:  "Nope!  I also bought a whistle!"  *toot*  *toot*

I love my gnome. 

• Like 12

Also, it was my intention to protect the harpy babies and see if I could raise them to be different.  But the owlbears ate them before I could get to them.  But my stated intent led to this exchange:

DM:  "You want to do what?"

Me:  "I want to see if I can raise them to be good."

DM:  "Why?"

Me:  "Because they're only babies.  There's nothing that says they're inherently evil."

DM (looks at monster listing):  "Actually, it says right here that they're inherently evil."

Me:  "Oh."

• Like 10

I once had a character spend the entire 'supply money' on scotch, and when it was pointed out there was a lot of money for supplies, it became single malt scotch.

Nothing helps with the horror of the Reavers as some good single malt w/ just a rock or two, tinkling in a glass.

• Like 11

@ub3r_n3rd: I was the 5th guy in my group. My friends constructed a movable arm out of Kinex pieces that could move around the webcam. It was pretty fun.

While there's certainly quite a bit of geek cred in using a Kinex arm to move the webcam, we use a camera like this on a tripod. Pan and tilt seems to handle most of the issues.

Though with two remote players, there's occasionally a bit of competition for control.

• Like 4

@ub3r_n3rd: I was the 5th guy in my group. My friends constructed a movable arm out of Kinex pieces that could move around the webcam. It was pretty fun.

While there's certainly quite a bit of geek cred in using a Kinex arm to move the webcam, we use a camera like this on a tripod. Pan and tilt seems to handle most of the issues.

Though with two remote players, there's occasionally a bit of competition for control.

The arm let them get in close and move around walls as well as give me a top down view. Plus it let them keep it in place while the five other players went. It was more for pure functionality than for cred.

• Like 1

Kay I might be right there with you for tomorrow morning. Hope your very early mornings end soon, and hope your at the trial due to work, and not because you are involved in the trial.  :wacko:

A trial we are carrying out... which takes ages and requires someone to watch the trial the whole time.  I'm sharing the load with a couple of other team members... but its still a disgusting hour of the morning to start work (2.30am at work start time)

• Like 1