Randomness Challenge! Tangents Only Thread

Girot

I have a weird double vision about pounds based on getting most of my information from books, some of them very old.

My general sense is that a pound is $2, which I think it roughly was around the time I visited the UK.

Historically, I feel like a pound is $5, which I think it might have been way back in the days of the gold standard. Like, a hundred years ago and more.

Of course, a yen was the same as a dollar back then too, and that has *rather* changed ...

• Like 5

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ub3r_n3rd

• buglips*the*goblin

• Last Knight

• ShadowRaven

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's been like that before. I remember right after the crash of 2007 or so, the exchange rate was extraordinarily favorable to the UK. We had news stories of people from the UK flying to the US to load up on jeans and other desirable American goods because it was still cheaper than buying them in the UK.

• Like 1

Does anyone else hit the stores the Monday after Easter to get cheap chocolate bunnies?

Definitely used to, but it seems like the stores around here have some deal to avoid owning a pile of excess candy. Shelves packed on Halloween, Christmas, Valentines Day, and Easter, but bare of candy by 7am the next morning. Other stufflingers for months at 50%, 75%, or 90% off, but no candy. It changed about 18 months ago, and I still miss being able to pick up a dozen bags of candy for under $10 in mid-November, mid-January, March, or April.

Well, it's been like that before. I remember right after the crash of 2007 or so, the exchange rate was extraordinarily favorable to the UK. We had news stories of people from the UK flying to the US to load up on jeans and other desirable American goods because it was still cheaper than buying them in the UK.

I do admit, when I finally get round to doing my planned US holiday... I'm planning on coming over her light (luggage wise) and going back heavy (luggage wise).  But it won't really be so much the exchange rate, but the fact that there is a lot more people in the US... and apparently your clearance shops are the mint!

• Like 2

I do admit, when I finally get round to doing my planned US holiday... I'm planning on coming over her light (luggage wise) and going back heavy (luggage wise).  But it won't really be so much the exchange rate, but the fact that there is a lot more people in the US... and apparently your clearance shops are the mint!

Can't argue with that. ::D:

And to be honest, I don't think anyone minds the business.

• Like 1

Well, it's been like that before. I remember right after the crash of 2007 or so, the exchange rate was extraordinarily favorable to the UK.

I was trying to remember when the exchange rate was last 2:1 $ to £, 2007 sounds about right. Practically overnight it went to 1.5:1

The current 1.67:1 still feels low to me.

Enjoy your flight!

This is pretty much impossible. But, I'll interpret your pleasantry as "I hope being trapped in tiny airborne tube for 14 hours isn't too miserable,"and wish you a hearty thank you. ^_^

Headphones, a good book and snacks tend to make it more bearable.

• Like 3

Enjoy your flight!

This is pretty much impossible. But, I'll interpret your pleasantry as "I hope being trapped in tiny airborne tube for 14 hours isn't too miserable,"and wish you a hearty thank you. ^_^

Headphones, a good book and snacks tend to make it more bearable.

I also have what may be the world's comfiest travel pillow. ^_^ Edited by Last Knight
  • Like 7