Randomness Challenge! Tangents Only Thread

Girot

What I find tends to make it bearable is unconsciousness, along with liberal infusions of water and oxygen. Good luck with that last one, though.

Yeah, I find it impossible to sleep on planes... Hopefully the world's comfiest travel pillow helps with that.
  • Like 3

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ub3r_n3rd

• buglips*the*goblin

• Last Knight

• ShadowRaven

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh, I can't sleep on planes no matter how long the flight. When we took our trip to Italy in 2010, I was awake the whole 15 hours to and from the US. At least I don't get jet lag as I adjust really quick to the timezone changes this way.

• Like 1

Does anyone else hit the stores the Monday after Easter to get cheap chocolate bunnies?

Nope.

Cheap jelly beans, cheap malted milk balls, cheap candy eggs ... but not cheap hollow chocolate bunnies.  ^_^

I have a weird double vision about pounds based on getting most of my information from books, some of them very old.

My general sense is that a pound is $2, which I think it roughly was around the time I visited the UK.

Historically, I feel like a pound is $5, which I think it might have been way back in the days of the gold standard. Like, a hundred years ago and more.

Of course, a yen was the same as a dollar back then too, and that has *rather* changed ...

The best site I could find only goes back to 1953.

But other data I could find indicated that the Yen was pinned right at 2/USD in the pre-war years, then started to fall with the embargoes. After the war, it looks like it hovered around 350/USD for quite a while. Postwar, the pound sterling was pinned to 2.80 USD. (ISTR references to 5 USD to the pound prewar as well, but can't find reliable sources right now.) And the Deutsche Mark hung at around 4/USD until the late sixties.

And then currencies were allowed to float rather than the exchange rates being heavily managed by central banks.

• Like 1

I have a one-yen coin from around 1900.

It's solid silver, the size of a silver dollar.

I guess it took some fierce inflation to get it to about 100 to the dollar.

• Like 3

I have a one-yen coin from around 1900.

It's solid silver, the size of a silver dollar.

I guess it took some fierce inflation to get it to about 100 to the dollar.

Weeeeeeeeeeell, the dollar isn't what it used to be, either.

And I imagine that solid silver yen is worth a bit more than a yen, these days. ::D:

• Like 2

The goal of the game with the shaving cream on my head at the pep assembly was to have a student toss Skittles onto our heads from 10ft or so away. I ended up with a student that was less than coordinated. She was accidentally pelting me with them underhand-pitch style. Good thing we were also wearing safety goggles.

I came in second because of this...

• Like 3