• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ub3r_n3rd

• buglips*the*goblin

• Last Knight

• ShadowRaven

Top Posters In This Topic

How could I not know that synchronized skating is actually a thing???  Guess I should thank CBC for actually broadcasting it, even if I only caught the end. 

Also, pollen.  That's a thing.  It's a beautiful day, and I'm reluctant to go outside because even with two different antihistamines I still felt crappy.  Looks like the rest of the USA is in the same boat.  I guess at least I managed to slather paint on a golem and get it done.  (It's in no way impressive, but it is done.)

• Like 3

I teach English to some monolingual spanish speakers on Saturday mornings and today had an interesting realization. We started talking about Easter coming up and I mentioned the Easter Bunny. They started laughing historically. Apparently there is now Easter Bunny in El Salvador or Mexico. Yet they still paint and hide eggs. Also they have chocolate rabbits in Easter baskets.

• Like 1

Rabbits and the word "Easter" come from the pagan goddess of spring and fertility called, no kidding, "Easter." I don't know if eggs come from her too.

Every other language except English seems to call "Easter" some variation of what it really is, the adapted Jewish holiday of Passover, called in Hebrew "Pesach": "Paschal", "Pascal", "Paaske", "Pascha", "Paskha" etc. etc.

A.K.A "the Last Supper" was a passover seder.

There are eggs associated with the seder these days, but I don't know the direction of influence, whether they got associated with seders from Easter or got associated with Easter from seders.

• Like 1

*pfft*  Here we go with the pagan roots of everything again.  Next thing people will be ragging on me for giving out presents to celebrate Sol Invictus. 

:upside:

Pfft. Latecomer. Follower of Marcus Aurelius.

Us old-timers still look at Dionysus with suspicion. And Cybele? Hurm. Newcomers all, and, as Sam the Eagle would say, weird and sick.

Give me a nice old Mars back when he was still god of agriculture, in charge of the Campus Martius, where the old-timers can argue whether Eros is the third-youngest god as son of Aphrodite or one of the eldest four who made the universe, Tartaros and Erebos and Xaos and Eros.

Hawk, spit.

• Like 5

crazy pagans and your gods for everything. Pshaww.

Now onto something more random, and less prone to mod bats than religion, even ancient religions that few if any seriously practice in this current age.
Ain't this just the cutest edit: oh wait, censor bot doesn't like that word

553815_260201567403333_199020000188157_5

Edited by ShadowRaven
  • Like 4

crazy pagans and your gods for everything. Pshaww.

Now onto something more random, and less prone to mod bats than religion, even ancient religions that few if any seriously practice in this current age.

Ain't this just the cutest edit: oh wait, censor bot doesn't like that word553815_260201567403333_199020000188157_5

That's a miniature isn't it? My stepmum-in-law breeds them. They are real sweet, with cave painting coloration like that (light brown with a dark brown stripe down the spine and another one at right angles over the shoulders). A few have curly hair, but most have short hair. The adults are the size of, hmm, *really* big dogs, with heads around shoulder height*. They are very affectionate.

*Er, for slightly petite women anyway.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 3

*pfft*  Here we go with the pagan roots of everything again.  Next thing people will be ragging on me for giving out presents to celebrate Sol Invictus. 

:upside:

Pfft. Latecomer. Follower of Marcus Aurelius.

I saw a documentary a few weeks ago about Rome, and they pronounced this with unusual emphasis as:  Marcus OhReallyus.

Lost me right there.  The whole rest of the show all I could think about was this extraordinarily incredulous Roman. 

Pronconsul Flavius Flav:  "You must help us!  The Goths are attacking!"

Marcus:  "Oh Really?"

Goths:  "Like, everything is dark and morbid, man."

Proconsul Flavius Flav:  "Please stop them!  Their taste in music is weird and scary!"

Proconsul Flavius Flav:  "You know, if you don't stop saying that, somebody is going to assassinate you."

Proconsul Flavius Flav.  "Yes.  In fact, I just stabbed you through the heart."

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 8

Also, pollen.  That's a thing.  It's a beautiful day, and I'm reluctant to go outside because even with two different antihistamines I still felt crappy.  Looks like the rest of the USA is in the same boat.  I guess at least I managed to slather paint on a golem and get it done.  (It's in no way impressive, but it is done.)

OMG. Husband unit took me for an afternoon motorbike ride out to Horseshoe Bay today and drove over to the house where he grew up. We stopped to look around, got to talk to the current owners (who were just coming back from a pedal bike ride) and then, when I turned around and looked back towards where we'd parked the bike, I was simply horrified by the sight before me. We were surrounded by cedar and pine trees but I was standing in a spot on the road that was in bright sun looking back towards where the branches overhung the road and made it darker and I could suddenly see that the AIR WAS FILLED WITH THOUSANDS OF TEENY TINY FLOATING YELLOW SPECKS!  I swear they were coming right for me! When I walked forward it looked like a faintly yellow form of the Star Wars hyperdrive effect. Seeing it actually bothered me so much - I kept staring at the floating specs in front of my face instead of at my surroundings - that I had to either turn around so I was looking up the sunlit road or move over and stand in a spot where I was in the shade myself so I could no longer actually pick them out any more.

And, on a more random note:

You're welcome.

• Like 9